Softball: 2018 Women's College World Series (Ducks done)

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Softball: 2018 Women's College World Series

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Who should we root for, Oklahoma or Washington? Oregon had no problems with either team. Also does Elish start again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duckfan22
Senior

Re: Softball: 2018 Women's College World Series (W vs ASU)

Post by duckfan22 »

i cant root for Wash in anything. just cant no matter them being in pac12.
These are the best teams in the country. They all will be tough no matter the
pitcher. Just hope we keep hitting and put runs on the board.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I’m not a softball expert, but was there any good reason why Lilley didn’t have her foot on the bag with that first out? Is there any reason for her to not already have her foot on the bag before Kleist even threw it to her?

Because everyone in the stadium except for Kleist was expecting the play to be at first, third baseman had to react fast, the play should have gone to first. Good win for the Ducks
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

duckfan22 wrote:i cant root for Wash in anything. just cant no matter them being in pac12.
These are the best teams in the country. They all will be tough no matter the
pitcher. Just hope we keep hitting and put runs on the board.
Good point, it’ll be tough either way. For some reason Oklahoma scares me more, since they won it the last two years and their pitchers scare me.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Alan wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I’m not a softball expert, but was there any good reason why Lilley didn’t have her foot on the bag with that first out? Is there any reason for her to not already have her foot on the bag before Kleist even threw it to her?

Because everyone in the stadium except for Kleist was expecting the play to be at first, third baseman had to react fast, the play should have gone to first. Good win for the Ducks
Not saying you’re wrong, you probably know more than me so I’ll take your word, but from my perspective, if you have 0 outs and can get an easy out and any of the three bases, why go to first when you can get an out at 3? Better to have 1 outs with runners on 1st and 2nd than 2nd and 3rd.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Softball: 2018 Women's College World Series (W vs ASU)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Is anyone still watching ESPN? Lol got to hear one of the announcers say “I was blowing my cleavage off” right after commercial break. Clearly she didn’t know she was live!

Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Amazing to see so many runs, on both sides, against two elite pitchers. Elish does tend to give up the long ball, but that's not uncommon with pitchers who throw with her kind of velocity. The homers obviously hurt more when people are on base.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

this team is so special. They are one big family and play so hard. So proud of them. Hard to
find a team in any sport at Oregon that has the chemistry this team has.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Alan wrote:

Not saying you’re wrong, you probably know more than me so I’ll take your word, but from my perspective, if you have 0 outs and can get an easy out and any of the three bases, why go to first when you can get an out at 3? Better to have 1 outs with runners on 1st and 2nd than 2nd and 3rd.

your reasoning isn't wrong, but the prevailing theory is that it's rarely an easy out at 3B. it's typically a bang-bang play at 3rd, especially if the runner from 2B is going on contact. i would have preferred kleist to throw it to 1st for the easy out simply because at that point outs mattered more than advancing base runners. but, it all worked out.
ImageImageImageImageImage
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Who should we root for, Oklahoma or Washington? Oregon had no problems with either team. Also does Elish start again?

Even though there's a bit too much familiarity between the teams, I'd almost rather they face UW so Oregon doesn't have to deal with the home-field advantage that Oklahoma gets by having the WCWS held in OKC.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

GY makes a good point, but I still don't think I can bear to root for UW. Sort of a lose-lose situation for this Duck fan, I guess.

The higher seeded team is always the "home" team in the CWS, right, batting second?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

oregontrack wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Alan wrote:

your reasoning isn't wrong, but the prevailing theory is that it's rarely an easy out at 3B. it's typically a bang-bang play at 3rd, especially if the runner from 2B is going on contact. i would have preferred kleist to throw it to 1st for the easy out simply because at that point outs mattered more than advancing base runners. but, it all worked out.
Exactly, up by as many runs as the Ducks were and only needing three outs for the win, going to third was the worse of her options. kleist may have even gotten away with throwing to second for a likely double play. The Ducks had the benefit of a bad call by the third base ump, the runner was safe at third, it should have been bases loaded.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Washington up 2-0 after 6 innings. Washington’s defense has been making amazing plays, makes me wonder if there this good or if they constantly are happening to be in the right place at the right time. Every inch seems to be going Washington’s way.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Washington wins 2-0, I feel pretty confident, Huskies honestly got kinda lucky. They made a bunch of risky plays that paid off that really shouldn’t have, plays where if the ball was an inch farther away, they wouldn’t have. Huskies only should’ve gotten 1 run but the Oklahoma relieve made a poor play on an easy out at home plate, then later with 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd, the Oklahoma batter hit into right field, and the Huskies outfielder made a diving catch at the tip of her glove, if that ball gets past her Oklahoma ties it up 2-2, and it may have been an infield home run which would’ve put them up 3-2. So while Washington did win and looked great doing it, they had a few game changing plays that could’ve been devastating if the ball didn’t go their way. I expect Oregon to win tomorrow for the fourth straight time against the Huskies, though I’m sure they’ll be hungry for revenge on Oregon, and my bold prediction is DJ Sanders will have a huge home run, not sure when it’ll happen or how many will score, but it will be at the perfect time and will change the game.

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon will be facing UW tomorrow at 4 PM PST.