Mike White gone. Texas

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Re: Mike White gone. Texas

Post by GoDucksTroll »

We got big boy-ed by Texas. Apparently Kentucky's coach is a candidate, and she makes as much as Mike White did here, so we're willing to pay more for a softball coach, just can't pay close to a million.

I can't really blame Rob Mullens for not paying with money we don't have for a non-revenue sport, but his track record of giving Helfrich an extension, hiring a snake, and extending Horton isn't looking great.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

greenyellow wrote:They already had top assistant Jimmy Kolaitis leave last week to the HC job down at UAB so they currently have assistant coach Chelsea Spencer as the interim HC. Unless they view her as ready to take over the reins of a top-ranked Pac-12 program, she'll likely be joining White down in Texas. With likely a whole new coaching staff, a bunch of graduations, and possibly a bunch of transfers of current and incoming players, it could be a rough season if Mullens doesn't get this right.

Edit: From reading his quotes to the Register-Guard, this seems to have been purely about money for him.

http://www.registerguard.com/sports/201 ... as?start=2
I am very disappointed, but I certainly understand his decision; that is a huge difference in pay, going from around $235,000 to around $900,000 per year.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

unless we make an absurd hire and bring in some sort of personality that clashes badly with the team i wouldn't expect a barrage of transfers. we're a ready-made CWS team.
ImageImageImageImageImage
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

oregontrack wrote:unless we make an absurd hire and bring in some sort of personality that clashes badly with the team i wouldn't expect a barrage of transfers. we're a ready-made CWS team.
The incoming Freshman class is/was loaded with top ranked infielders. IMO, having a couple of them being as good as advertised is key to getting back to the CWS. If they still show up and stay.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
oregontrack wrote:unless we make an absurd hire and bring in some sort of personality that clashes badly with the team i wouldn't expect a barrage of transfers. we're a ready-made CWS team.
The incoming Freshman class is/was loaded with top ranked infielders. IMO, having a couple of them being as good as advertised is key to getting back to the CWS. If they still show up and stay.
^^^This
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Apparently what it takes to win a national championship is nearly $1 million a season in salary: https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index. ... _whit.html
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

It is totally a money thing. Now i dont blame him thats a healthy raise that
most of us would have taken. But the heat on him will be instense to win
sooner rather than later. His comment about going to texas to win a championship
struck me wrong and i dont know why.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Interesting. Mike White considers recruiting his weakness and wants UO interim Coach Spencer on his staff to handle that. I never knew if it was White or his assistants who were bringing in all the National talent.

Perhaps Oregon should put more resources towards hiring a top end staff, then trying to lure a million dollar coach. Use the current football experiment on softball.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Interesting. Mike White considers recruiting his weakness and wants UO interim Coach Spencer on his staff to handle that. I never knew if it was White or his assistants who were bringing in all the National talent.

Perhaps Oregon should put more resources towards hiring a top end staff, then trying to lure a million dollar coach. Use the current football experiment on softball.
Million dollar softball coaches are few and far between as I believe only him and Oklahoma's coach are the only ones making anywhere near that figure. White's salary at Oregon was actually among the tops in the Pac-12, with only Arizona's Mike Candrea (who has 8 national championships and making around $350K) and maybe UW's Tarr (supposedly makes around $250-260K) topping his salary. The conference average I believe is around $200K so he was already well-compensated when compared to other conference coaches. Top name I've heard thrown around is Kentucky's Rachel Lawson, who Mullens worked with down there and makes close to what White did this past season.

Interesting take from Fast Pitch news on him leaving and what it means for Texas and Oregon: https://fastpitchnews.com/?p=352641
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

I'm probably being overly sensitive but isn't saying he now has the chance to win a NC an indirect insult to the Duck program? Getting the #1 seed shows he had the opportunity but, for whatever reason, didn't get it done. Man up and say it's about the money.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

maxduck wrote:I'm probably being overly sensitive but isn't saying he now has the chance to win a NC an indirect insult to the Duck program? Getting the #1 seed shows he had the opportunity but, for whatever reason, didn't get it done. Man up and say it's about the money.
I think some of his statements yesterday and now today are certainly going to rub Duck fans the wrong way. Have to hope that Mullens makes a good hire to take advantage of Oregon's recent success because other conference schools are making upgrades to their facilties and Oregon could easily be passed up.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I wonder if Texas was in talks with White before the season ended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I wonder if Texas was in talks with White before the season ended.

Based on the podcast I posted earlier, it sounds like Texas was busy during the WCWS and talked to several coaches during that time, including White, Florida's Tim Walton, Arizona's Mike Candrea, and at least 2 others.

Edit: From some of White's quotes, he makes it seem like Oregon never supported him or the program and that's what's been holding them back from winning. Maybe it was time for him to move on since he's sounding really ungrateful.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I wonder if Texas was in talks with White before the season ended.

Based on the podcast I posted earlier, it sounds like Texas was busy during the WCWS and talked to several coaches during that time, including White, Florida's Tim Walton, Arizona's Mike Candrea, and at least 2 others.

Edit: From some of White's quotes, he makes it seem like Oregon never supported him or the program and that's what's been holding them back from winning. Maybe it was time for him to move on since he's sounding really ungrateful.
It’s human nature to blame others for your own failings. To bad Coach White wasn’t above that and left with a bit more grace and class.
Last edited by UofDuck on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i didn't get the impression from white in the article that oregon didn't support him or the program. it just sounds like they didn't want to pay a million dollars a year to a coach in a non-revenue sport.

i believe arizona's mike candrea is the pac-12's highest paid coach @ $345k/year. i think mike white was due $245k next year; you can argue he deserved a raise, but candrea has also won eight national championships.
ImageImageImageImageImage