Mike White gone. Texas

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Mike White gone. Texas

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Mike White going to Texas according to Register Guard.

Damn, and then some.
thomas time
Senior

Re: Mike White gone. Texas

Post by thomas time »

I think it sucks, but I remember there was a few people talking about him getting fired if they didn't win it all this year so their be happy I guess.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Darn, he did some great things here.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

This is a tough one. Recruiting was one of White's strengths at Oregon, and now he and Asst.Coach Kolaitis are gone.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Worst fears realized. Per O-Live (https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index. ... iver_index), White said, "It came down to the ability to get some financial security for my family," White said. "An opportunity like this comes along once in 10, 15, 20 years. I think it's a good time, it's a good fit and I'm looking forward to the challenge ahead of me." Makes it sound like Oregon didn't (couldn't/wouldn't) match what Texas offered.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

wow, that really sucks. i get not overpaying for a non-revenue sport, but with the facilities investment we just made in the program i wonder how much of a raise we were willing to give. texas offered about 4x (?) what white makes now.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

thomas time wrote:I think it sucks, but I remember there was a few people talking about him getting fired if they didn't win it all this year so their be happy I guess.
I only talked about how he might be part of the problem for the OKC issues from what goes on during the regular season to the post season. I've got to believe there is a talented Asst or HC at a school that would be eager to be the coach of this team next season and going forward.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It's insane what they're paying him to coach down there ($900K+) for a sport that makes hardly any, if any, money for most athletic departments. Pac-12 schools just can't afford that kind of money since they don't have that kind of money rolling in from licensing and tv network deals. Really sucks that the players are having to find out via text about this instead of hearing from him in person. Mullens is going to have to really make the right hire or else the program could slide back down to average or mediocre.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

greenyellow wrote:It's insane what they're paying him to coach down there ($900K+) for a sport that makes hardly any, if any, money for most athletic departments. Pac-12 schools just can't afford that kind of money since they don't have that kind of money rolling in from licensing and tv network deals. Really sucks that the players are having to find out via text about this instead of hearing from him in person. Mullens is going to have to really make the right hire or else the program could slide back down to average or mediocre.
agree. but its all about the money. Oregon softball i believe is very attractive
for a top coach. Oregon has everything it needs here. Facilities, support by the fans,
They are however going to have to pay up a bit.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckfan22 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:It's insane what they're paying him to coach down there ($900K+) for a sport that makes hardly any, if any, money for most athletic departments. Pac-12 schools just can't afford that kind of money since they don't have that kind of money rolling in from licensing and tv network deals. Really sucks that the players are having to find out via text about this instead of hearing from him in person. Mullens is going to have to really make the right hire or else the program could slide back down to average or mediocre.
agree. but its all about the money. Oregon softball i believe is very attractive
for a top coach. Oregon has everything it needs here. Facilities, support by the fans,
But his salary at Oregon was among the tops in the Pac-12 but a lot lower when compared to the SEC and certain ACC and Big 12 schools. Mullens will likely be smart enough to not break the athletic department's budget over a softball coach.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

greenyellow wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:
But his salary at Oregon was among the tops in the Pac-12 but a lot lower when compared to the SEC and certain ACC and Big 12 schools. Mullens will likely be smart enough to not break the athletic department's budget over a softball coach.
thanks for the info.. maybe an assistant coach current or outside.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

They already had top assistant Jimmy Kolaitis leave last week to the HC job down at UAB so they currently have assistant coach Chelsea Spencer as the interim HC. Unless they view her as ready to take over the reins of a top-ranked Pac-12 program, she'll likely be joining White down in Texas. With likely a whole new coaching staff, a bunch of graduations, and possibly a bunch of transfers of current and incoming players, it could be a rough season if Mullens doesn't get this right.

Edit: From reading his quotes to the Register-Guard, this seems to have been purely about money for him.

http://www.registerguard.com/sports/201 ... as?start=2
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

So we lost White and we still have Horton? That went completely opposite from what many fans wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Well, I guess winning a NC anytime soon may be a reach now. Good for him, go get that money money money, money!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:So we lost White and we still have Horton? That went completely opposite from what many fans wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I sure thought that White would outlast Horton.