SB sky falling?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

duck58
Four Star Recruit

SB sky falling?

Post by duck58 »

Maybe I'm just being naively optimistic. Obviously losing the 2 pitchers and catcher hurts. But we still have 2/3 of last years OF and Mack was one of our top avg hitters. We had to replace 2 IF anyway, now 3. Balint had a great Freshman yr and is good if she remains healthy. Jordan Dall had a decent, if not great, freshman yr at VT. Should improve this yr. Obviously not what we lost Utecht looks like she is going to be a better hitter this year. Maybe some of the others will. We don't know what we might get in transfers. How about the 2019 commitments? Is it possible they could commit early and play this year like FB spring ball? Not sure about rules. Isn't Makenna K rated #31 player but like the #3or4 pitcher? ML seems to recruit well so far. I don't think we challenge for PAC-12 championship, but we won't finish in last place either.
greenyellow

Re: SB sky falling?

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon was needing to replace 4 of the 5 infield positions with Lilley (3B), Lindvall (2B), Sanders (SS), and Svekis (C) graduating so the only people they lost who could have filled those spots are Burke and Iakopo. As the roster currently stands, the starting infield will likely be: Camuso at 1B, Bowden at 2B, Cid at SS, Sievers at 3B, and Utecht at C. Bowden is the likely backup at C so if she's playing there, they'd use either Mack or Bunker at 2B.

Replacing Rhodes won't be easy as she was an all-conference player and Pinto would have been a key reserve in the OF. Cruse and Mack will likely remain the starters in the OF but will likely be joined by a rotation of Burks, Wagner, and Kaboli-Nejad. The DH spot will likely rotate to whichever reserve is not playing in the field that day so it won't be one of strongest hitting positions since most of Oregon's top hitters are desperately needed at a fielding position.

Pitching is definitely going to be the toughest to replace since Kleist and Elish were AA-type players that aren't easily replaced. Balint will need to stay healthy while Dail will need to show marked improvement over her FR year in the ACC to be a competent 2nd starter in the Pac-12.

The transfer and JC market will be key in filling out several positions, namely C, CF, DH, and 2B. I wouldn't expect much help from the 2019 class this season since it's exceedingly rare for players to graduate early. ML actually did quite well at retaining most of previously committed 2019 recruits (believe they lost only 3 commitments after White's departure) as it was rated the #11 class in the country before Wong's signing yesterday. I think she'll eventually get some better classes once she proves herself as the HC.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Re: SB sky falling?

Post by duck58 »

greenyellow wrote:Oregon was needing to replace 4 of the 5 infield positions with Lilley (3B), Lindvall (2B), Sanders (SS), and Svekis (C) graduating so the only people they lost who could have filled those spots are Burke and Iakopo. As the roster currently stands, the starting infield will likely be: Camuso at 1B, Bowden at 2B, Cid at SS, Sievers at 3B, and Utecht at C. Bowden is the likely backup at C so if she's playing there, they'd use either Mack or Bunker at 2B.

Replacing Rhodes won't be easy as she was an all-conference player and Pinto would have been a key reserve in the OF. Cruse and Mack will likely remain the starters in the OF but will likely be joined by a rotation of Burks, Wagner, and Kaboli-Nejad. The DH spot will likely rotate to whichever reserve is not playing in the field that day so it won't be one of strongest hitting positions since most of Oregon's top hitters are desperately needed at a fielding position.

Pitching is definitely going to be the toughest to replace since Kleist and Elish were AA-type players that aren't easily replaced. Balint will need to stay healthy while Dail will need to show marked improvement over her FR year in the ACC to be a competent 2nd starter in the Pac-12.

The transfer and JC market will be key in filling out several positions, namely C, CF, DH, and 2B. I wouldn't expect much help from the 2019 class this season since it's exceedingly rare for players to graduate early. ML actually did quite well at retaining most of previously committed 2019 recruits (believe they lost only 3 commitments after White's departure) as it was rated the #11 class in the country before Wong's signing yesterday. I think she'll eventually get some better classes once she proves herself as the HC.
Thanks. That helps. I still think we do better than some think