Kleist transfers

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Re: Kleist transfers

Post by Duck24 »

I thought I’d read/heard that she was quite extreme in some regards which doesn’t jive with the Oregon vibe. A dress code to attend class is a bit extreme IMO. From my days back at UO, I recall most of the softball girls dressed much like I did when going to class...sweats and a hoodie. If she’s expecting them to dress like Sorority Sally from Alpha Phi or otherwise outside of their comfort zone, I don’t blame them for leaving.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Welp, Mullens clearly screwed the pooch by not matching whites deal from Texas. Too bad cause the softball team was pretty fun whenever I watched.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Welp, Mullens clearly screwed the pooch by not matching whites deal from Texas. Too bad cause the softball team was pretty fun whenever I watched.
From what I can find, Oregon was paying him a base of $237,500 and Texas is paying him $450,000. While percentage wise, that’s a massive increase, I’d think $213K is small in the overall AD budget. No clue what ticket sales, concessions and apparel generate each year from Softball but curious what the revenue drop is going from an elite national championship contending team to a lord knows what they’ll be next year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck24 wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Welp, Mullens clearly screwed the pooch by not matching whites deal from Texas. Too bad cause the softball team was pretty fun whenever I watched.
From what I can find, Oregon was paying him a base of $237,500 and Texas is paying him $450,000. While percentage wise, that’s a massive increase, I’d think $213K is small in the overall AD budget. No clue what ticket sales, concessions and apparel generate each year from Softball but curious what the revenue drop is going from an elite national championship contending team to a lord knows what they’ll be next year.
You also have to think that Texas likely increased the pool of money for the assistants (rumors are all his assistants are now making $100K+ while only 1 made that at Oregon last season), which may have also affected Mullens' ability to retain White and his staff. That means it was more like an increase of nearly $300K. With the limited money that comes in from the Pac-12 and the smaller pool of big-monied donors to pay for the increases, Mullens likely had to think about the overall athletic budget rather than solely on the softball budget. He may eventually regret doing that since its looking like softball will be a total rebuild and the rabid fanbase is now really turning on Mullens/Lombardi with all the defections and rumors.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

As i said before, there’s something rotten in Denmark. It’s really a shame as this team was on the verge of a national title. Now we’ll be luck to finish out of the cellar in this powerhouse conference. :(
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

It’s weird cause everything I’ve read on twitter from former players and coaches is that she is great. So I guess she should be given a chance to let her system take root. White won in regular season and couldn’t win the big one. Maybe she can.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

duckfan96 wrote:It’s weird cause everything I’ve read on twitter from former players and coaches is that she is great. So I guess she should be given a chance to let her system take root. White won in regular season and couldn’t win the big one. Maybe she can.
Maybe-in about 4 years.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

greenyellow wrote:Another source on Twitter said there's actually 2 more transfers coming. That would just make the situation even worse as that'd leave them with only 13 players, barely enough to field a team.
Yeah. If one of those would be Balint, we have no pitching. We will have to see how the coaching staff can recruit and hold
their own recruits. They have definitely allowed this team to be destroyed.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

If you think Oregon is the only one having it bad, ASU lost 6 players to the new rule and they didn't even have a coaching change. They've got at least 4-5 transfers coming in and signed a good 8 player recruiting class in November so have somewhat compensated for their losses. It remains to be seen what Lombardi will do to fill all the roster spots.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 195839002/
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

This is from a poster on DT who says Mullens has spoken about the softball situation. Just seems many were waiting for the transfer portal and never really gave Lombardi a chance. From what I found on another site, Texas was deadset on White and several big donors were willing to pay anything for him. The salary Oregon is paying Lombardi is actually less than what Oregon's final offer to White was.
I heard Mullens discuss the issue today. Unknown to many, he said that 4 of the 6 people that left told them they were leaving after White was hired by Texas. They allegedly asked them to wait until a new coach at Oregon was hired.

Interesting enough the new free transfer rule was not taking effect until 10/15/18 so most of them stayed and played fall ball as a Duck then took advantage of the new rule and made their intentions known post 10/15/18. He said there were 2,000 names in the NCAA portal for kids wanting to transfer after the October date. He said they also lost student athletes when the track coach's moved. It is a common occurrence when coach's move to other Universities.

When asked about retaining White he indicated the asking price was too high for a non-revenue sport. So I doubt that White was only asking for another $100k. Bottom line he has to run a program that makes money. With football revenue, he is boxed in a corner. Just like anyone running a business you cannot over pay a lousy salesman and not pay your top salesman.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

greenyellow wrote:This is from a poster on DT who says Mullens has spoken about the softball situation. Just seems many were waiting for the transfer portal and never really gave Lombardi a chance. From what I found on another site, Texas was deadset on White and several big donors were willing to pay anything for him. The salary Oregon is paying Lombardi is actually less than what Oregon's final offer to White was.
If true, I've lost all respect for White. You have to give and take in such a situation and if your only loyalty is money, I don't really have much respect for you. Add to that him poaching former players because of utter selfishness makes me loathe him even more.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

As expected, she's headed to UL-Lafayette to join her former club softball coach:
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

greenyellow wrote:As expected, she's headed to UL-Lafayette to join her former club softball coach:
Getting ditched for a school people only know of because they have a funny mascot name. Not sure what magic Lombardi has up her sleeve but it better be Houdini’esque. This team is going to be a dumpster fire next year, as currently constructed.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

to be fair, UL-Lafayette is considered a quasi-power in softball.
ImageImageImageImageImage
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

With what's been said on other sites, I'm not sure what Lombardi could really have done because 4 of the 6 supposedly told Mullens they were transferring no matter who they hired. With players that intent on transferring, they likely weren't going to be receptive to anything any new coach said and were just biding their time until the transfer portal opened up. Lombardi, probably expecting there'd be a couple transfers as usual with a coaching change, was likely not thinking that many players were wanting to leave and didn't think she needed to change her expected plans and vision for the program. I tend to think that Kleist's transfer has more to do with not wanting to finish her career on a depleted team than anything Lombardi said or did. It was MK's luck that both the new transfer portal opened and her old club team coach landed a job at a school who's HC is the father of a former Oregon Duck softball player (Geri Ann Glasco.)