SB P Balint to transfer

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

SB P Balint to transfer

Post by greenyellow »

After many thought the bleeding was done, it looks like Oregon's sole remaining pitcher from last year, Maggie Balint, is transferring, mainly due to revelations from the Register-Guard's article about how White was supposedly treated by Deputy AD Lisa Peterson and AD Rob Mullens after he got an offer from Texas. According to a couple other sites, people are saying she's been posting a lot of pro-Texas Longhorn stuff on her FB page.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/0 ... firms.html
chapelhillduck
Senior

Re: SB P Balint to transfer

Post by chapelhillduck »

FFS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

chapelhillduck wrote:FFS...

If the RG story is completely accurate (and not just White's take on events), this one is solely on Mullens and Peterson. Lombardi has basically walked into a program that had a dysfunctional relationship between its former coach and the AD and she's facing much of the aftermath from that spat. Everyone it seems were already on a hair trigger and her changing the way certain things got done (as what happens with all coaching changes) were the final straw for many.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Can't help but think the softball team is going to be a dumpster fire for a couple years now while Lombardi attempts a rebuild.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

greenyellow wrote:
chapelhillduck wrote:FFS...

If the RG story is completely accurate (and not just White's take on events), this one is solely on Mullens and Peterson. Lombardi has basically walked into a program that had a dysfunctional relationship between its former coach and the AD and she's facing much of the aftermath from that spat. Everyone it seems were already on a hair trigger and her changing the way certain things got done (as what happens with all coaching changes) were the final straw for many.
Good summation. The animosity that seemed to have existed between White & Mullens is hard to understand. White was very emotional; he felt that he and his team were not only unappreciated, but being held down. Being the PLAYER"S coach, this attitude must have reached the players. We saw remarks in the anonymous player's tweet that Mullens was completely unreasonable with White's salary demands. The player was responding in support of her coach, but had no real understanding of the situation.
It doesn't seem like its too much to ask that a coach and the AD would have a better working relationship than existed here; but hopefully Oregon Softball will emerge stronger from this.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

That... is unfortunate. I don’t follow players on social media but I do follow @UOSoftball and Balint had been participating in practices. The team went on a weekend retreat and I didn’t think anything of it at the time, but Balint apparently wasn’t there.

We were #12 in one of the first preseason polls. I know people here thought we were going to be a dumpster fire, but with Balint in the circle twice each weekend and enough speed in the lineup to manufacturer some runs, we were still expected to be a postseason team by folks who followed the sport. We made CWS appearances in seasons where Jessica Moore or Cheridan Hawkins were our only elite pitchers — most teams don’t have the dual aces we were blessed with in Kleist/Elish. Balint was good enough to get us back to regionals.
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

The team seems to have been made up of a bunch of quitters under White.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Bigwaved wrote:The team seems to have been made up of a bunch of quitters under White.
More like people who were extremely loyal to him, but not the university. That isn't exactly surprising since softball coaches start recruiting players when they're FR and SO in HS so by the time they reach college, most of the connection to the school is with the coach. That bond is typically furthered once they get on campus as they spend more time around the team and coach than anything or anyone else. You saw the same thing happen when a bunch of track athletes followed their coaches up to Washington.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

And it didn’t help Oregon’s cause that softball is a sport where you can be immediately eligible somewhere else.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Starting to wonder if this report is actually true. She is still listed on the roster on GoDucks.com and she posted a new profile pic on her twitter today of her at the Jane......
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Bigwaved wrote:The team seems to have been made up of a bunch of quitters under White.
Might explain CWS collapses...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

TualatinDuck wrote:Starting to wonder if this report is actually true. She is still listed on the roster on GoDucks.com and she posted a new profile pic on her twitter today of her at the Jane......
It's correct as she just posted confirmation of her transfer:
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Crap, so much for that.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

TualatinDuck wrote:Crap, so much for that.
Her transfer confirmation post popped up within about a minute of me actually looking on her Twitter account to see if she was indeed staying. That was some rather quick confirmation.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

greenyellow wrote:
TualatinDuck wrote:Crap, so much for that.
Her transfer confirmation post popped up within about a minute of me actually looking on her Twitter account to see if she was indeed staying. That was some rather quick confirmation.
Yeah it was.