McGowan ineligible, Kaboli-Nejad injured

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

McGowan ineligible, Kaboli-Nejad injured

Post by greenyellow »

Another day and even more bad news for Oregon softball. Incoming FR C Terra McGowan is currently not eligible to play because ASU hasn't signed off on her transferring to another conference school. I could easily see them not doing so because ASU's coaches have a bad reputation for being vindictive and it would make Oregon an easier opponent in conference play. Finally, it sounds like SR OF Darya Kaboli-Nejad has a potential season-ending knee injury. That means Oregon could be down to as few as 12 healthy players.
maxduck
Senior

Re: McGowan ineligible, Kaboli-Nejad injured

Post by maxduck »

I wonder what is behind this release from the AD in the article you linked earlier.

When asked to comment about the situation, an Oregon spokesperson said in a statement to Softball America that Lombardi supports all of the student-athletes that are or were a part of the Oregon softball program and that Lombardi supports every student-athlete in whatever decision they feel is best for them. The statement also said that there will “likely be multiple additions to the roster before the season begins.”
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

FFS! Can it really get any worse at this point?
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

maxduck wrote:I wonder what is behind this release from the AD in the article you linked earlier.

When asked to comment about the situation, an Oregon spokesperson said in a statement to Softball America that Lombardi supports all of the student-athletes that are or were a part of the Oregon softball program and that Lombardi supports every student-athlete in whatever decision they feel is best for them. The statement also said that there will “likely be multiple additions to the roster before the season begins.”
Well, yea. Has to be, otherwise they're not going to be able to field a team. I say that completely seriously.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Confirmation that Kaboli-Nejad has a season-ending ACL injury:
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

They aren’t snake-bitten. They have been swallowed whole by a Python. Have never seen anything like this.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

Can't she red shirt this year and still have 4 years of playing for Ducks. Doesn't seem like ASU gains anything by being vindictive.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

yeah she'll redshirt and then have four to play four. or she'll just transfer, as is the way of things.

if i have the timeline right ASU blocked her a few months ago, prior to balint/moose/mack transferring, so ASU probably thought they were helping themselves because an oregon squad with balint in the circle was still expected to be a postseason team. if they had to do it over again, knowing balint was leaving, i imagine they'd just allow the transfer because we're going to be a dumpster fire with or without mcgowan.

by rule i think it's lame for ANY school to block a student athlete from transferring wherever they want, but i suppose at the time they thought it was a strategic move.
ImageImageImageImageImage