Clock is ticking...

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Clock is ticking...

Post by woundedknees »

Any news on drafted recruits who haven't signed yet?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2356 ... e-deadline

Without exaggeration, Matzek may be the most talented player the Rockies have drafted since Todd Helton. Many considered the lefthander from Southern California to be the second best player in the 2009 draft, slotted right behind the immortal Stephan Strasburg.

Making the situation even trickier, Matzek was also a prolific hitter in high school and is excited for the opportunity to play two ways in college at the University of Oregon. Rumor has it that Matzek has already received his living arrangement and is more than ready to enter the world of Collegiate Sports.

http://mvn.com/upintherockies/2009/08/m ... atzek.html

It's a little over three days until the draft pick signing deadline, and Tyler Matzek's status is still in the air.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=1352

Twenty of the 32 first-rounders remain unsigned today, 13 days before the Aug. 17 deadline. At the same point last year, all but 11 of the 2008 first-rounders had agreed to terms.

As of the 12th, Jake Marisnick had not signed.

These guys could really help the Ducks.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

woundedknees
All-American

Re: Clock is ticking...

Post by woundedknees »

Yeah, yeah... Answering my own question, redundant as it may be.

http://blogs.registerguard.com/cms/inde ... er-matzek/

Stranger thing have happened, and Matzek does have his ducks in a row, so to speak, if he wants to come to Oregon. We’ve learned, and confirmed, first through the Tweet of another big Oregon recruit—outfielder Jake Marisnick, a third-round pick by Toronto—that Matzek and Marisnick both have their UO housing situation lined up, and both plan to live together if they end up in Eugene.

Sure, that’s a lot of posturing on their part, hoping to get the major league teams to meet their asking price in negotiations. But, again, things are in place in they do decide to come to the UO.

We’re planning a roundup of the status of all the drafted players with local ties for next week, before the Aug. 17 deadline, and we’ll keep you posted on any happenings before then.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Man, it would be awesome if he goes with Oregon.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp

Tyler Matzek, the No. 11 overall pick by the Colorado Rockies in this summer’s Major League Baseball draft, is planning to move to Eugene this weekend and attend summer classes at the University of Oregon starting Monday, UO baseball coach George Horton confirmed Friday.

Horton cautioned that it would be “premature to celebrate” Matzek’s arrival in Eugene as meaning he will end up playing for the Ducks next season.

Even with Matzek in Eugene, Horton said negotiations between the left-handed pitcher’s representative and the Rockies would “probably heat up” late Monday as the deadline approaches for draft picks to sign with major league teams.

“It’s going to be a really crazy time for him and us,” Horton said. “I’ve heard that it could go down to the last 10 or 15 minutes.”

Matzek is reportedly seeking a record bonus for a high school player — perhaps as much as $7 million — and several Internet reports said the Rockies are offering close to $2 million.

OregonMAX
Three Star Recruit

Post by OregonMAX »

I just read that article. Was about to post it here.
I REALLY hope he comes here.
I love how he was talking about being to Oregon Baseball what Dennis Dixon was to Oregon Football (although I'd say that Oregon Football was on the map before then)
"Huard's gonna go back to throw the ball. Sets up, looks, throws towards the corner of the endzone. It is... INTERCEPTED! INTERCEPTED! THE DUCKS HAVE THE BALL! Down to the 35! The 40! KENNY WHEATON'S GONNA SCORE!!! KENNY WHEATON'S GONNA SCORE!!! 20! THE 10! TOUCHDOWN!!! KENNY WHEATON, AN INTERCEPTION!!! THE MOST IMPROBABLE FINISH TO A FOOTBALL GAME!!!"
05duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 05duck »

oregon football was on the map before then...but thats ok.

Any news on Matzek?
GO DUCKS!

Twitter: 05Duck
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Matzek was seen at the Ems game this evening with Coach Horton and several incoming freshman... He refused to speak to the media.

05duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 05duck »

I'm taking that as a good sign....but still keeping my fingers crossed.....
GO DUCKS!

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

What about Marsnick?
OregonMAX
Three Star Recruit

Post by OregonMAX »

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksb ... ed_re.html

Marisnack is still in California, but their parents paid the down payment on their apartments for them to live together. Tyler's just moved into the apartment I think.
"Huard's gonna go back to throw the ball. Sets up, looks, throws towards the corner of the endzone. It is... INTERCEPTED! INTERCEPTED! THE DUCKS HAVE THE BALL! Down to the 35! The 40! KENNY WHEATON'S GONNA SCORE!!! KENNY WHEATON'S GONNA SCORE!!! 20! THE 10! TOUCHDOWN!!! KENNY WHEATON, AN INTERCEPTION!!! THE MOST IMPROBABLE FINISH TO A FOOTBALL GAME!!!"
OregonMAX
Three Star Recruit

Post by OregonMAX »

Don't get too excited just yet, but Rockies fans seem to think that he is leaning towards Oregon.
05duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 05duck »

Last minute deals get done...I know these kids must do whats best for them. But I really hope all this moving to eugene talk is not a way to get more money from colorado. go ducks!
GO DUCKS!

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Last I heard, Matzek and Colorado were 4-5 million apart.

Matzek has expressed a big interest in playing 1st base, as well as pitching, in order to get into the batting line-up (He hit around .400 as a senior).

Marisnick posted this on his MLB supplied Twitter acct in the last few hours:

http://twitter.com/jakemarisnick

@ajude34- Coming Tues. signed up for summer school. rooming w matzek if it works out that way. can't wait to play again
about 18 hours ago from web have not talked to anyone so no news. Guess I will know by tomorrow night

OregonMAX
Three Star Recruit

Post by OregonMAX »

he just posted "my deal is done it's official"
that doesn't sound too good for us
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Marisnick is gone. Waiting on Matzek.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13