How does the scheduling work?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

How does the scheduling work?

Post by Greenblood »

If there's a place online where this is addressed, feel free to direct me to it, but . . .

I don't understand the Ducks' baseball schedule -- and this probably is a question about college baseball, or at least Pac-10, scheduling in general. How is it determined how often you play a league team? In general, it looks like they play most league teams three times in the form of a 3-game series in one venue (so no home and home like basketball). But why do they play UW five times this season? And they play OSU five times, but oddly, just one at home, three in Corvallis, and one at PGE. It adds up to a 31-game league schedule, a strange number, unless any of those games are not defined as "league" games for some reason.

Any explanation appreciated.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: How does the scheduling work?

Post by oregontrack »

We play 3 conference games each against the other 9 Pac-10 schools. We do indeed play Washington and Oregon State five times, but only three (each) are conference games. The others are considered non-conference games. So the two game series we had at PK last week against Washington was non-league.

Proximity has a lot to do with it. There aren't a ton of D-1 baseball schools in the Northwest. It's just easier to drive 30 minutes to play Oregon State a few extra times as opposed to making an extra trip down to California. Playing rival schools like OSU and UW tend to drive up revenue, too.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Greenblood
Senior

Re: How does the scheduling work?

Post by Greenblood »

Thanks! So I'm assuming that each of the 3-game series against league teams are league games, and the rest are non-league games.