Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Ducks ranked #19 and #21

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Re: Ducks ranked #19 and #21

Post by greenyellow »

I say we are on the bubble at this point and a sweep would only help to move us off the bubble and be a sure shot at being a regional host.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I would guess that Oregon wouldn't host a regional, especially since Arizona State and UCLA almost definitely will.
r2fireduck
One Star Recruit

Post by r2fireduck »

duckgrad99 wrote:I would guess that Oregon wouldn't host a regional, especially since Arizona State and UCLA almost definitely will.
Even more than this, Arkansas beat Vanderbilt last weekend at Nashville. More than likely they will get the regional that was up for our grabs.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It's very hard to see the NCAA giving 3 Pac-10 teams regional hosting bids while there are other highly ranked schools that would help spread out the Tournament instead of consolidating it on the West Coast.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

greenyellow wrote:It's very hard to see the NCAA giving 3 Pac-10 teams regional hosting bids while there are other highly ranked schools that would help spread out the Tournament instead of consolidating it on the West Coast.
I disagree. 3 host schools from the #1 or #2 ranked conference in the country is not far fetched at all.
ImageImageImageImageImage
r2fireduck
One Star Recruit

Post by r2fireduck »

greenyellow wrote:It's very hard to see the NCAA giving 3 Pac-10 teams regional hosting bids while there are other highly ranked schools that would help spread out the Tournament instead of consolidating it on the West Coast.
As opposed to this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 09&t=h&z=4
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

r2fireduck wrote:
As opposed to this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 09&t=h&z=4

East coast bias is pretty much entrenched in the NCAA especially SE Coast Bias...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

I would again disagree with that. If ESPN were doing the seeding, we'd be screwed. But the NCAA's seeding methods are based on mathematics and formulas, and if we're deserving of a regional hosting bid, we'll get one. Mens/womens basketball, softball, soccer... I can't really think of any past instances where 'East Coast Bias' came into play in an NCAA seeding committee.

Our biggest problems are twofold:

1. Our RPI is #23, and has been holding steady in the low 20s for a month and a half now. 16 teams get to host a regional. We won't move up considerably even by winning all of our remaining 4 games. Looking at the RPI rankings, the top 13 really look like locks to me, meaning there's about 15 teams fighting for 3 remaining hosting gigs, several of those teams in better positions than us.

2. Arizona. Zona has a better RPI than us, and won the season series. We NEED Oregon State to win the series against them this weekend, and we might need to sweep. That would put us #3 in the Pac-10 in terms of RPI ranking, and that might just be enough to jump over some teams with better RPIs. If Arizona wins the series and stays ahead of us, we're probably SOL.
ImageImageImageImageImage