Ducks projected in, Beavers out

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Ducks projected in, Beavers out

Post by UOducksTK1 »

DarronThomas1 wrote:let's be honest though, baseball is probably the sport where crowd noise has the least impact and the ncaa switches up who bats last on a game-by-game basis so hosting a regional isn't totally the advantage it's cracked up to be.
Yep, just ask the softball team.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

I agree with you regarding home/away situations, but still, with our closer situation as shaky as it is, I fear having the other team up to bat with a chance to end the game.
ImageImageImageImageImage
05duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 05duck »

They have a chance... a low one, but a chance. Teams have to bid to host a regional. Some teams in the top 16 don't bid, nor do they have a facility that can host a regional. Oregon has placed a bid and has the facility to host. So they have a shot...but we'll all know come Sunday/Monday.

GO DUCKS!
GO DUCKS!

Twitter: 05Duck
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

MerDuck wrote:I'm not very educated on how the post season in baseball works, but you know Jerry Allen is starting to really get on my nerves. I mean I understand he works for the Ducks now, but he is such a ridiculous homer...he's unrealistic in his predictions 99% of the time....just yesterday he explained on his morning show that the Ducks had a pretty good shot at hosting a regional...I mean from what I am hearing here (from a much more educated group, I'm sure) it's not realistic at all....whatever...GO DUCKS! I'd like to see them beat the Sooners....
Well gollllllleeeeeee!. Whod'a thunk it from dunderhead JA? I truly can't believe that tool is the voice of the Ducks. Every other phase of the athletic department is upgraded except for that bumbling homer...Maybe he'll retire someday, sooner than later I hope.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Nah... Ne'd lose his motor home spots on the telly.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Biggus Duckus wrote:I like Jerry Allen even though he's not the best at commentating. He has a "friendly grandpa" type of voice and he loves the team, it makes it pleasant to listen to.

Giansante, on the other hand, can choke on a hard-boiled egg.
Yeah I don't know how you could hate Jerry. He gets on my nerves but his love for the Ducks & the players is very genuine. Its not a freaking script like Giantsante. Joe needs to realize that he's doing regional broadcasts. 95% of the viewers are Duck or beevur fans, WE ALREADY KNOW HOW AMAZING OUR FACILITIES ARE! The dude is a broken record, "Facilities, facilities, facilities, nike, phil knight, facilities, nike, oh & our new facilities." The guy can't just stop talking for 2 seconds & let viewers watch the game. And when he actually calles the game he sounds like he has 6 hotdogs packed in his cheeks.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Biggus Duckus wrote:I like Jerry Allen even though he's not the best at commentating. He has a "friendly grandpa" type of voice and he loves the team, it makes it pleasant to listen to.

Giansante, on the other hand, can choke on a hard-boiled egg.
Yeah I don't know how you could hate Jerry. He gets on my nerves but his love for the Ducks & the players is very genuine. Its not a freaking script like Giantsante. Joe needs to realize that he's doing regional broadcasts. 95% of the viewers are Duck or beevur fans, WE ALREADY KNOW HOW AMAZING OUR FACILITIES ARE! The dude is a broken record, "Facilities, facilities, facilities, nike, phil knight, facilities, nike, oh & our new facilities." The guy can't just stop talking for 2 seconds & let viewers watch the game. And when he actually calles the game he sounds like he has 6 hotdogs packed in his cheeks.
About the only things I hate about Jerry are that he doesn't say the score enough during football games and he goes off on all these long-winded stories from years past during the game. Other than those, I have no real problem with him. As far as him being a homer, I think you get a little of that from any radio guy covering a sports team for so long. With Giansante, I seriously wish he would get hit by a foul ball during a baseball game to shut him up about Oregon's facilities or from pointing out the obvious during games. I don't know what he has on people in the athletic department that allowed him to get a job there. He's just not cut out for TV play-by-play; he should have stuck to his gardening show and doing sports on TV news.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

I think I agree with just about everything said about Jerry and Giansante. My beef with Jerry is that he projects a lot, and doesn't always let the play unfold before he tells us the end result. Baseball has really hammered this problem. I've heard more, "And Serna hits a line drive down the rightfield line, Ducks are going to score two...! Oh, wait, no, foul ball. Runners go back to their bases" these past two years... I have a rule where I wait a solid three second after Jerry describes a play before I react to it, to allow him time to correct himself. Prowitz does this too. I think he was doing the Hawaii series this year. One inning, as soon as the ball leaves the bat he's celebrating a Duck home run... only the ball dies at the warning track. The very next inning, he's describing a well hit pop up that is "very playable", only to eventually realize the thing was smacked out of the park. Blah. 3 second rule for the the both of 'em.

Spot-on about Giansante and the facilities. I've never really liked Dwight Jaynes, but the guy knows baseball, which means one person in the booth of those OSN telecasts does. Jaynes is breaking down hitters and pitch sequences, Giansante is talking about the visitor locker rooms or an anecdote about how the grandstand was put together.
ImageImageImageImageImage
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

So what do you think, are the ducks definitely in right now? Oregon had better be careful and win these last 2 games against Cal. If they don't, it's possible the ducks drop to 7th or 8th in the conference.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Beavers are in, will play in the Florida region.
Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

Is the selection on TV anywhere?
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

ESPN.
cordy02c