Oregon vs Florida State (Saturday 3:30 PM)

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

BillM
Two Star Recruit

Re: Oregon vs Florida State (Saturday 3:30 PM)

Post by BillM »

Anderson usually has more than 4 strikeouts in a game. How big was the muff in LF. That ball gets caught, the inning ends and two runs don't get scored. We outhit them 14-9 but left 9 guys on base . . . two in the 8th and 9th. We dug too big a hole, but at least we didn't give up.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

oregontrack wrote:How many of the runs today for FSU were earned? I strongly disagree that "had he pitched like he did earlier this year" things might have been different. He pitched very well today. Defense betrayed him a bit, and he's always been susceptible to the HR. Florida State by far scored more runs this year than anyone we've played, let alone Anderson pitched against. Fresno State is the next closest, and they get to beat up on WAC pitching.

I know someone is itching to point out the 1-0 loss to Arizona State, but if we're honest with ourselves, we'll realize that that was ASU's first game of the season in a northern state, and the weather pretty clearly affected them. Same thing happened when they went up to Wazzu.

Anderson was NOT the problem today. He pitched a very typical game for him, the difference being that the opposition was much, much better than anything we've thusfar season this year.
I believe 5 of the 6 runs were earned. He wasn't dominant today, and for a good part of the regular season he was. Sure the offense didn't get going until late, but I don't think it's asking too much to expect more out of your ace.
BillM
Two Star Recruit

Post by BillM »

The muff in LF counted as a hit, but we catch it and the inning ends without 2 runs scoring.
DarronThomas5
Four Star Recruit

Post by DarronThomas5 »

Biggus Duckus wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:We made a game of it, although it seems that lately the ducks haven't been scoring much early on in games. It's going to be a really tough task to advance now. I believe we have to beat UCONN and then beat Florida State twice.
I think we have to beat UConn once and FSU once. FSU only loses one game the whole time, but they have the advantage because they won't have to pitch/play an extra game.
no we will need two wins against FSU. You are not eliminated until you have two losses and FSU has none.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Biggus Duckus wrote:
DarronThomas1 wrote:
Biggus Duckus wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:We made a game of it, although it seems that lately the ducks haven't been scoring much early on in games. It's going to be a really tough task to advance now. I believe we have to beat UCONN and then beat Florida State twice.
I think we have to beat UConn once and FSU once. FSU only loses one game the whole time, but they have the advantage because they won't have to pitch/play an extra game.
no we will need two wins against FSU. You are not eliminated until you have two losses and FSU has none.
Well damn, that really changes things.
Yeah thats pretty ridiculous... hard to see us getting outta this regional with that mountain to climb.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Winning 3 games in 2 days will be really tough but Oregon showed they can hit against FSU late in the game. That should give them hope if they face them again. Poor defense today cost Oregon 2 runs, which can easily be corrected. UConn will be a tough first game tomorrow. LaTempa will be fine against UConn, but after him, we'll be pitching against the FSU with our 4th and 5th starters, which doesn't give me a lot of hope. Horton did say that Thornton may be able to go on Monday since he will have had 3 days rest and has pitched multiple games in a week before.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

duckgrad99 wrote:
oregontrack wrote:How many of the runs today for FSU were earned? I strongly disagree that "had he pitched like he did earlier this year" things might have been different. He pitched very well today. Defense betrayed him a bit, and he's always been susceptible to the HR. Florida State by far scored more runs this year than anyone we've played, let alone Anderson pitched against. Fresno State is the next closest, and they get to beat up on WAC pitching.

I know someone is itching to point out the 1-0 loss to Arizona State, but if we're honest with ourselves, we'll realize that that was ASU's first game of the season in a northern state, and the weather pretty clearly affected them. Same thing happened when they went up to Wazzu.

Anderson was NOT the problem today. He pitched a very typical game for him, the difference being that the opposition was much, much better than anything we've thusfar season this year.
I believe 5 of the 6 runs were earned. He wasn't dominant today, and for a good part of the regular season he was. Sure the offense didn't get going until late, but I don't think it's asking too much to expect more out of your ace.
I'd fault him for 3 earned today, given the "non" error in left. Giving up 3 runs to a team that averages over 8 a game IS pitching like an ace. Sure, it'd be nice if he allowed 0 and struck out 20, but that's unrealistic.
ImageImageImageImageImage
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

greenyellow wrote:Winning 3 games in 2 days will be really tough but Oregon showed they can hit against FSU late in the game. That should give them hope if they face them again. Poor defense today cost Oregon 2 runs, which can easily be corrected. UConn will be a tough first game tomorrow. LaTempa will be fine against UConn, but after him, we'll be pitching against the FSU with our 4th and 5th starters, which doesn't give me a lot of hope. Horton did say that Thornton may be able to go on Monday since he will have had 3 days rest and has pitched multiple games in a week before.
Well said. I've got faith in LaTempa, too. Kuedall against Florida State will be an adventure, but we *should* be able to hit their guy, too. If Thornton can go again for 5-6 innings Monday, that'd be amazing.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Biggus Duckus wrote:Three games in two days? So two games tomorrow if we beat UConn?
Yes sir.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

oregontrack wrote:
Biggus Duckus wrote:Three games in two days? So two games tomorrow if we beat UConn?
Yes sir.
Although the games could have a delayed start or even postponed to Monday due to rains that are supposed to be in CT today.