New rules changing college baseball?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

New rules changing college baseball?

Post by greenyellow »

I was watching a preview of the Oregon baseball team on KVAL in Eugene and they talking about the aluminum bats being changed so that they behave more like wooden bats. It sounds like this may work in Oregon's favor due to their outstanding pitching and typical small-ball approach that is probably going to be favored with these bats.

After looking it up more, I found an article from last year describing the changes we should see this year:
http://new.bangordailynews.com/2010/10/ ... ess-punch/

Update: I was also looking around and found that the NCAA is also adding a pitch clock so that games move faster. This should be interesting to see.

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=13961170
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: New rules changing college baseball?

Post by alabamaduck »

greenyellow wrote:Update: I was also looking around and found that the NCAA is also adding a pitch clock so that games move faster. This should be interesting to see.

I work at a minor league baseball stadium and we host the SEC baseball tournament every year. They used the pitch clock here last year, and since i consider myself a basebal purist, I was skeptical but it sped up the games significantly, without really affecting the game itself. We play 4 games a day during most days of the tournament and rather than ending at 2am or so we were ending a few hours earlier.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

alabamaduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Update: I was also looking around and found that the NCAA is also adding a pitch clock so that games move faster. This should be interesting to see.

I work at a minor league baseball stadium and we host the SEC baseball tournament every year. They used the pitch clock here last year, and since i consider myself a basebal purist, I was skeptical but it sped up the games significantly, without really affecting the game itself. We play 4 games a day during most days of the tournament and rather than ending at 2am or so we were ending a few hours earlier.
The only spot where I could see some change in the pitch clock is for the first hitter after a third out, especially if they have to come in from the outfield.
Coastal Duck
Two Star Recruit

Post by Coastal Duck »

I would imagine that the pitch clock would not start until the umpire declared "play ball."

Do they also have a clock for between innings to keep things moving?
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

For the tourney last year, there was only a pitch clock with no runners on base, and as far as i know there was nothing for between innings. Bascially, the clock started when the pitcher got the ball from the catcher, and when the time was up it was an automatic ball if the pitch hadn't been thrown or an automatic strike if the hitter wasn't ready.

With runners on it was business as usual because you don't want runners to be able to time their jump because he knows the pitcher has to pitch. This really worked well
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

alabamaduck wrote:For the tourney last year, there was only a pitch clock with no runners on base, and as far as i know there was nothing for between innings. Bascially, the clock started when the pitcher got the ball from the catcher, and when the time was up it was an automatic ball if the pitch hadn't been thrown or an automatic strike if the hitter wasn't ready.

With runners on it was business as usual because you don't want runners to be able to time their jump because he knows the pitcher has to pitch. This really worked well
I kind of like the idea of a pitch clock since the time between pitches is what really kills watching MLB games. The MLB should take a look at it but I think that the players union would have a major hissyfit over it.