Impact Newcomers?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Coastal Duck
Two Star Recruit

Impact Newcomers?

Post by Coastal Duck »

Given that the 2 or 3 guys we brought in to be the big boppers in the middle of the lineup are now somewhat neutalized vis a vis the new bats being used this year, who are the newcomers expected to make an immediate impact on the team?

Who DHs this year?

Who is the heir apparent to Scotty as the closer? (I'm presuming McGoo will answer the call of the ML draft.)

What is the projected lineup - both before and after Hawaii?

Who are the Saturday and Sunday starters? Who starts midweek?

Can't wait for the first game!! I catch most of the action on GoDucks.com and run a cable from the computer to the TV - I know - old school for some of you :D , but for an old fart, I'm doin' okay. ;)

GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"OMAHA OR BUST!"
cordy02c
Senior

Re: Impact Newcomers?

Post by cordy02c »

from what I read mcgough will be a starter and boer will close
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

cordy02c wrote:from what I read mcgough will be a starter and boer will close
At least until Boer recovers from his injury.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

It's really hard to pin-point a line-up right now, as Horton himself said that there are at least two positions still up in the air. I think once we get into Pac-10 season, we'll see Anderson, Boer, and Jones going 1-2-3 on weekends, with Kuedall, Housey, and perhaps a freshman getting the nod on weekdays. McGough started to begin last year, too, I agree with greenyellow that he'll go back to the 'pen once Boer is 100%. Boer is an innings eater, McGough seems best over 1-2 innings.

I think it's also really hard to say who will close once McGough departs. There's so many young kids (freshmen) in the program right now I don't think the potential starters have really separated themselves from the potential bullpen kids. Porter Clayton graduated from HS early and everyone raves at him, he'd be one to keep an eye on. Last year, Gagnier was on everyone's short list for Stopper of the Year in the preseason, and he lost his job to McGough. We might not even know who will close once McGough leaves until midway through the year after he leaves.
ImageImageImageImageImage
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

oregontrack wrote:It's really hard to pin-point a line-up right now, as Horton himself said that there are at least two positions still up in the air. I think once we get into Pac-10 season, we'll see Anderson, Boer, and Jones going 1-2-3 on weekends, with Kuedall, Housey, and perhaps a freshman getting the nod on weekdays. McGough started to begin last year, too, I agree with greenyellow that he'll go back to the 'pen once Boer is 100%. Boer is an innings eater, McGough seems best over 1-2 innings.

I think it's also really hard to say who will close once McGough departs. There's so many young kids (freshmen) in the program right now I don't think the potential starters have really separated themselves from the potential bullpen kids. Porter Clayton graduated from HS early and everyone raves at him, he'd be one to keep an eye on. Last year, Gagnier was on everyone's short list for Stopper of the Year in the preseason, and he lost his job to McGough. We might not even know who will close once McGough leaves until midway through the year after he leaves.
Clayton sounds the most intriguing possibility at earning the closer role next year, but someone else could develop into that role that we don't expect. Certainly the spot to watch for next season.
Coastal Duck
Two Star Recruit

Post by Coastal Duck »

Re Clayton - I have what I thought was the "official" Class of 2010 signees. The list didn't include Clayton - what's up with that?

I notice no players from the State of Oregon. How many in-state guys did the Beavers get? Anybody that could have fit in, in this class? Is Horton making a concerted effort to get the state's best talent?
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Where are you looking at the official class of 2010? That was announced well over a year ago, when Clayton was still a junior in HS. Could just be an old list. He counts for the '10 class, but he'd be a rather recent addition given he committed a year after everyone else.

Oregon HS baseball is better than Oregon HS football, but it's not anywhere near the level of California, where Horton appears to be recruiting heavily. OSU got two in-state recruits in the '11 class, I don't believe either are projected as impact players. The last 'elite' recruit from Oregon was (I think) for the '10 class, RHP Ben Wetzler. Wetzler single-handily won Clackamas two state titles, he's as dominant a HS pitcher as I've seen in Oregon in quite some time. He'll start right away on weekends for the Beavs.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Coastal Duck wrote:Re Clayton - I have what I thought was the "official" Class of 2010 signees. The list didn't include Clayton - what's up with that?

I notice no players from the State of Oregon. How many in-state guys did the Beavers get? Anybody that could have fit in, in this class? Is Horton making a concerted effort to get the state's best talent?
Clayton was part of the 2011 class, but he graduated early so he could join Oregon this year.

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =205072580
Coastal Duck
Two Star Recruit

Post by Coastal Duck »

I may have to go back into the archives to figure out the where and the when of the "official list" I have, but it does have "Tucson, Ariz." as the place of origin.

Here's what I have:

[Drafted by MLB but declined to sign out of HS]

Tyler Kuresa INF
Stefan Sabol Catcher
Brando Tessar RHP
Connor Hofmann OF
Aaron Jones Catcher
Brandon Brennan RHP

"In addition, Oregon has highly-touted freshmen"

Kyle Garlick OF
Ryon Healy RHP
Aaron Payne INF
Jimmie Sherfy RHP
Brett Thomas OF

Junior college transfers

Brett Hambright Catcher
Alex Buccilli OF

So - if y'all are into it, why not discuss each guy as they prepare to contribute to the Ducks' run to Omaha?
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

greenyellow is right, I may have mispoke with my wording; he's part of the recruiting class of 2011, but he "counts" scholarship wise to the class of 2010, just like early enrollees in football do.

As for the new kids, I couldn't really begin to break down any of their games outside of the profiles GoDucks offer. In the preseason articles that have been coming out in recent weeks it sounds like Kuresa has first base on lockdown, Sabol is going to push for time at 3rd and is our catcher of the future, and Hambright is going to team with Marder behind the plate.