Oregon @ Washington (Washington won series 2-0)

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Re: Oregon @ Washington (Washington leads series 1-0)

Post by duckgrad99 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:One thing to remember about these two games with Udub is we've used our 4th & 5th starting pitchers. Right now our only chance to win each game is defense & keeping the other teams score very low. Our hitting just can't keep up. These two games we've gotten down by 3-4 runs right away & with our offense, it's game over. When Anderson & Stavert are pitching we'll have a great chance to win each game, after that....

True, although it looks like the Washington starting pitcher today is their 4th or 5th starter and look what he has done against Oregon so far. Oh well, at least we are better than most of these pac-10 teams in football. :D
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

Geez, this game is a debacle so far. I can only think of a couple positives:

1. It doesn't count in the conference standings.

2. At least it was on the road so the home fans didn't have to sit through it.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

duckgrad99 wrote:True, although it looks like the Washington starting pitcher today is their 4th or 5th starter and look what he has done against Oregon so far. Oh well, at least we are better than most of these pac-10 teams in football. :D

But there's a difference between a 4th and 5th starter for an established program and one that's playing in it's 7th & 8th games in the last 28 years. It's a matter of experienced depth, and being a start up program we're just not going to have it. I would expect to see us do very poorly in mid-week games this season and possibly next
RHDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by RHDuck »

alabamaduck wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:True, although it looks like the Washington starting pitcher today is their 4th or 5th starter and look what he has done against Oregon so far. Oh well, at least we are better than most of these pac-10 teams in football. :D

But there's a difference between a 4th and 5th starter for an established program and one that's playing in it's 7th & 8th games in the last 28 years. It's a matter of experienced depth, and being a start up program we're just not going to have it. I would expect to see us do very poorly in mid-week games this season and possibly next
completely agree Bama, because of the way the NCAA set up the baseball regular season schedules teams that don't have a ton of pitching depth are going to get beat more often than not in their midweek games. With us in our first year back we aren't gonna be able to stop teams like UW during our midweek games. Honestly I think were going to struggle beyond next year in midweek games, maybe two years down the road we'll be able to beat the UW's of the world in midweek games.
05duck
Three Star Recruit

Re: Oregon @ Washington (Washington won series 2-0)

Post by 05duck »

I'm going to stay positive, even with the trashing we took in seattle. Its still early in the year and I think the team is still trying to find their bats. The offense is not clicking yet....I'm thinking Horton will have to change up the line up to see if he can spark something. But this is why the ducks scheduled theses games. They wanted their players to play pac-10 teams before the games start to count. They will be okay, we are not going to win the conference this year, but I think the team will make a good showing.

You are correct that mid week games do nothing good for the pitching rotation. I think this young staff still needs to develope, but that will come with time. We get Washington one more time before the pac-10 season starts, they will play UW at PGE park in a couple weeks. I'll be going to that game, I hope the rest of you will too!!
GO DUCKS!

Twitter: 05Duck