Tressel requested a 3 game suspension increase... Really?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Tressel requested a 3 game suspension increase... Really?

Post by woundedknees »

Wanna buy a bridge in Nevada?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... e-too-late

"The players certainly didn’t demand this, as they were the ones Tressel was trying to cover for. Athletic director Gene Smith? He’s the one Tressel made look the most foolish. But Smith then said he trusts Tressel, handcuffing himself to his coach in the same sinking boat."

"OSU president E. Gordon Gee? His very successful career plan has been to focus on winning football games, and Tressel does that."

"This is PR 101, and it came from some team of image-makers. Ohio State has been portrayed as dirty, and in some ways I’m a little surprised that it cares."

"Kick the tires. This is still a lemon."

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2 ... te-counsel

“We are in a situation right now that I didn't get as wise of counsel as I should have,” Tressel said Tuesday.

“And so I am accountable for a leadership action that I took. But that's part of being a leader. And when you are a leader, and you are a servant, you look it right in the eyes, you learn, you know what you should do, you are reminded that you should always seek wise counsel, and then you go forward.”

... after which, of course, you are totally free to blame your situation on all those poor unwise souls you asked for counsel. (Hey, remember that time Tressel's defense was that he withheld information from the school because he didn't know who to talk to about legal issues related to NCAA violations? Because that was two weeks ago.)
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

maxduck
Senior

Re: Tressel requested a 3 game suspension increase... Really

Post by maxduck »

So his punishment is half a season off with no reduction in pay (except for the fine already levied). Nothing like a good rest in the middle of your career to fully refresh yourself.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

So when they win all 5 games without him, Pryor and Co; does that tarnish his reputation as a game coach? Elevate the status of the assistant who runs the show while he is gone as "the real brains" behind the operation?

Probably not, but I can hope so.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Sorry Tressel, that ship has sailed and you are a PR LOSER!!!!! I give you -100 points.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

If the NCAA fails to slap Tressel into the middle of next week, it will be an injustice of monumental proportions.

I doubt it will happen, but every shyster coach in the country would certainly be emboldened by a lack of significant action.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

If that was Chip, the hammer would come down so hard that he would never see the light of day. I'm guessing a slap on the wrist for Tressel.
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

Notice the timing of this announcement? On arguably one of the biggest days on the sports calendar, opening day of the NCAA tourney... can you say "story buried"?!? Gimme a break...

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

uodux1212 wrote:Notice the timing of this announcement? On arguably one of the biggest days on the sports calendar, opening day of the NCAA tourney... can you say "story buried"?!? Gimme a break...
Kind of a weaselly way of announcing it.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Maybe he wants a paid vacation?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Boom wrote:Maybe he wants a paid vacation?
The first 5 games for OSU are usually a vacation for him so the suspension nothing really different for him, except he won't be with the team.