Fiesta Bowl operations under investigation...

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Fiesta Bowl operations under investigation...

Post by woundedknees »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/stor ... pn_6236194

"Fiesta Bowl officials are bracing for what could be a scathing report from an internal investigation of the event's financial and political dealings, some of which may have skirted, or even broken, state and federal law.

The report, which could come out as soon as next week, is the culmination of a probe by a three-member panel that includes two Fiesta Bowl board members and a retired Arizona Supreme Court justice.

Fiesta Bowl president and CEO John Junker, who in two decades directed the once-upstart bowl to the land of the BCS giants, was placed on paid administrative last month as the internal examination proceeded.

The investigation is separate from a state attorney general's probe into possible criminal violations involving political contributions by Fiesta Bowl employees."

Follow the money, eh?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

wheaton4prez
Senior

Re: Fiesta Bowl operations under investigation...

Post by wheaton4prez »

I had a good time. But, I was surprised by how poorly run that event was, just logistically.

One example was the bathroom situation. There was no-where to go in the lots. They had about 100 port-a-potties all in one large group. But, it was 2-300 yards away from where they were parking everyone.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Seems as if I have experienced that at Autzen a few times over the years... Come to think of it, I walked half way around the stadium at the Holiday Bowl in '05 for the same purpose. There was a set next to the rail platform on the south, and another at the area where each of the alumni association parties were located.

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Not surprised they're being looked at since a bowl game is just a series of big political favors being paid to host it.
Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Post by Lightning Strikes »

Everyone cries when a student athlete receives "improper" benefits, but real crooks like John Junker are behind nearly every single one of these bowl games and hardly anyone ever notices.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The Fiesta Bowl has fired its CEO and now could face losing its BCS affiliation. If they do, which game could replace it?

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootba ... d_sca.html
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

greenyellow wrote:The Fiesta Bowl has fired its CEO and now could face losing its BCS affiliation. If they do, which game could replace it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03...w-nytimessports

Top executives at the Fiesta Bowl, the host of one of the nation’s pre-eminent college football games, funneled campaign contributions to local politicians, flew other Arizona elected officials around the country at the bowl’s expense, racked up a $1,000 bill at a strip club, and even spent $30,000 on a birthday party for the chief executive, according to an investigative report commissioned by the bowl’s board of directors.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/...nker-fired.html

John Junker, chief executive officer for Arizona's Fiesta Bowl , was fired Tuesday amid multiple investigations of alleged political campaign-finance violations and other financial misconduct, according to bowl officials.

"The BCS group takes this matter very seriously and will consider whether they keep a BCS bowl game, and we will consider other appropriate sanctions," Hancock told The Arizona Republic. "If the bowl does remain a BCS bowl its handling of thing will be closely monitored going forward."

Where's the RICO (The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) investigation?

Sounds like good old fashioned racketeering, to me?

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

But racketeering is what the whole BCS is about.
JustisM
Three Star Recruit

Post by JustisM »

greenyellow wrote:The Fiesta Bowl has fired its CEO and now could face losing its BCS affiliation. If they do, which game could replace it?

No doubt in my mind that it would be the Cotton Bowl
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

JustisM wrote:

No doubt in my mind that it would be the Cotton Bowl
That's the one I've read about a couple times since the new stadium is the main drawing point.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Saw the suggestion on another board that if (when) the BCS drops the Fiesta the Pac-12 grabs it. Gives us another Jan 1 bowl game and more national exposure. Great idea IMO.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

maxduck wrote:Saw the suggestion on another board that if (when) the BCS drops the Fiesta the Pac-12 grabs it. Gives us another Jan 1 bowl game and more national exposure. Great idea IMO.
But they would probably have to drop some other bowl. I doubt the Holiday or Alamo Bowl would want to take a lesser Pac-12 team than they already are so it would probably be one of them.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

greenyellow wrote:
maxduck wrote:Saw the suggestion on another board that if (when) the BCS drops the Fiesta the Pac-12 grabs it. Gives us another Jan 1 bowl game and more national exposure. Great idea IMO.
But they would probably have to drop some other bowl. I doubt the Holiday or Alamo Bowl would want to take a lesser Pac-12 team than they already are so it would probably be one of them.
I'm not sure the Holiday has much choice. Although it's a great bowl and San Diego is a popular destination the weekday evening slot could hurt attendance if they weren't affiliated with a west coast conference. The Alamo Bowl has a lot more options, but I would take the prestige and exposure of a New Years Day showing over a visit to San Antonio.