In football news

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

maxduck
Senior

In football news

Post by maxduck »

It appears Arizona is having a tough spring.

Earlier today, Arizona took a hit to its offensive depth when backup running back Greg Nwoko tore his ACL, rendering him ineffective for most, if not all, of 2011.

Now, the Wildcats’ defense will be facing some depth issues of its own, specifically at the linebacker position.

By way of the Tuscon Citizen, it’s been reported that sophomore linebackers R.J. Young and redshirt freshman Trevor Erno have left the team for unspecified reasons.

“We’re working with five linebackers right now,” coach Mike Stoops said after the departures. “Yeah, we’re thin.”

The starting linebackers — for now — include Derek Earls, Jake Fischer and Paul Vassallo, who led the team in tackles a season ago. However, behind them at the moment is redshirt freshman Kyle Benson and a senior walk-on Bilal Muhammed.

Stoops did mention, however, that lack of depth would give more opportunity to incoming freshmen Rob Hankins, Hank Hobson and Domonique Petties, who will join the Wildcats in the summer.

“All three of those young guys will have to come in and play,” Stoops said.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... on/related
Elduderino
Senior

Re: In football news

Post by Elduderino »

maxduck wrote:It appears Arizona is having a tough spring.

Earlier today, Arizona took a hit to its offensive depth when backup running back Greg Nwoko tore his ACL, rendering him ineffective for most, if not all, of 2011.

Now, the Wildcats’ defense will be facing some depth issues of its own, specifically at the linebacker position.

By way of the Tuscon Citizen, it’s been reported that sophomore linebackers R.J. Young and redshirt freshman Trevor Erno have left the team for unspecified reasons.

“We’re working with five linebackers right now,” coach Mike Stoops said after the departures. “Yeah, we’re thin.”

The starting linebackers — for now — include Derek Earls, Jake Fischer and Paul Vassallo, who led the team in tackles a season ago. However, behind them at the moment is redshirt freshman Kyle Benson and a senior walk-on Bilal Muhammed.

Stoops did mention, however, that lack of depth would give more opportunity to incoming freshmen Rob Hankins, Hank Hobson and Domonique Petties, who will join the Wildcats in the summer.

“All three of those young guys will have to come in and play,” Stoops said.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... on/related
Ouch that's tough RE: Arizona
AKA: CAgrown
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Tough hits, those are some solid players for them.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like they are going to have to depend on unproven players (JC transfers/FR) come the fall to fill out their depth chart, which is not a good thing for a team looking to compete in the top half of the conference.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I think their offense will be able to carry the team for the most part. I doubt they will be in contention to win the pac 12 but I still think they will be a solid team.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

And another one bites the dust...

Adam Hall stood on the Arizona Stadium sideline with a water-cooled brace around his injured right knee and embraced his new role: coach....

Hall, the team's projected starter at free safety, tore the ACL in his right knee during Wednesday's practice and could be out for as long as seven months.

And still the offense couldn't score.

http://azstarnet.com/sports/football/co ... 4035d.html
gregspechtismyhero
Freshman

Post by gregspechtismyhero »

Man, Foles should've come out this year. Shitty QB class, team's falling apart, he's probably kicking himself right now
In Helfrich, Frost, and Allioti we trust
Image (USA Today Sports)
AIM: hockeygoalie923
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

GeorgeSchroeder George Schroeder
RT @DougHaller: ASU coach Dennis Erickson confirmed tonight both CB Omar Bolden and WR TJ Simpson will need surgery to repair torn ACLs

Dang tough going for both the Arizona schools so far. It seems these players are very good players too, not just backups.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

thomas time wrote:GeorgeSchroeder George Schroeder
RT @DougHaller: ASU coach Dennis Erickson confirmed tonight both CB Omar Bolden and WR TJ Simpson will need surgery to repair torn ACLs

Dang tough going for both the Arizona schools so far. It seems these players are very good players too, not just backups.
:o :o :o

Wow that sucks when ur top WR and DB get injured. Would the be able to come back before/during the season? I know a lot of people are high on ASU this year, so if they can't play this year, that could change some minds.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

Wow that sucks when ur top WR and DB get injured. Would the be able to come back before/during the season? I know a lot of people are high on ASU this year, so if they can't play this year, that could change some minds.
ASU is saying they could be back in 5-8 month so they could, but to me they probably won't be completely back in top form until probably after the season. People push coming back from ACL tears faster than ever now but it still takes time for complete healing and for the player to feel confident on it.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Also besides the injuries, Brock Osweiler has been having a poor spring so far. In fact I heard he threw 7 int yesterday and on the way out of practice he was so mad that he took all the balls from the bag and just chucked them all over the field. Maybe ASU isn't going to be the team to beat in the South.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

buckmarkduck wrote:Also besides the injuries, Brock Osweiler has been having a poor spring so far. In fact I heard he threw 7 int yesterday and on the way out of practice he was so mad that he took all the balls from the bag and just chucked them all over the field. Maybe ASU isn't going to be the team to beat in the South.
Losing Threet was a tough loss for them, but it sounds like they have more problems than just at quarterback anyways.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

Maybe towards the latter part of the season, but even that is iffy. Guess it depends on the extent of the tear, but those things can take quite a while to heal. Either way, those are two HUGE losses for ASU and seems like both AZ schools are having a bit of a bumpy offseason.
Also besides the injuries, Brock Osweiler has been having a poor spring so far. In fact I heard he threw 7 int yesterday
Was he playing against the Oregon D? :lol:
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UofO8 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Maybe towards the latter part of the season, but even that is iffy. Guess it depends on the extent of the tear, but those things can take quite a while to heal. Either way, those are two HUGE losses for ASU and seems like both AZ schools are having a bit of a bumpy offseason.
Also besides the injuries, Brock Osweiler has been having a poor spring so far. In fact I heard he threw 7 int yesterday
Was he playing against the Oregon D? :lol:
It looks like USC is still going be the favorite down there. The Arizona schools just aren't positioned right to compete adequately with them.