This could suck...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: This could suck...

Post by oregontrack »

Boom wrote:Altman has better things to sell kids on than a mediocre record with a CBI victory.
Sure. But exceeding expectations and delivering wins and not resorting to excuses like a thin roster is undoubtedly a selling point to both his staff and his brand of basketball. And last year gives him plenty of ammunition.
I think most people thought the same about Singler.... I think that turned out nicely for him
1., that's not a counter-argument. And 2., I don't think SIngler did anything as a freshman people weren't expecting him to do.
Ya, I'm sure playing limited minutes and sitting out of games helps :lol:
It won't hurt him. Kuemper's biggest task his first year on campus will be to hit a weight room. Losing 4-6 minutes a game as a freshman won't have any impact as future contributor. Surely you understand this.
:roll: There's nothing to suggest that it wont either
Seriously?
I understand the logic of taking a 1 and done player if it get's you into the tournament...... but I think it's safe to say that's not going to happen with this kid and our team.
I understand the logic of taking a 1 and done player if it helps you win games. Believe it or not, every single person involved with the Oregon basketball program right now is working to put the best possible product on the court for the 2011-12 season, not 2014. This odd obsession you have with forfeiting the present for the future has always perplexed me; I've never encountered anyone who thinks the way you do. At the end of the day, you're fighting tooth and nail over 4-6 minutes for a true freshman who hardly even projects out as a high contributor at this level.

What Kuemper needs next year is to hit the weights and work his ass off in practice. Losing a couple minutes a game where we'd be running sets for other players is not something anyone's worrying about, save you.
ImageImageImageImageImage
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

greenyellow wrote:But I'd see no real harm in taking a player who'd be filling a scholarship of player who only had a year left anyways. If anything, learning from an experienced post player could help Keumper and temporarily provide depth at a position of need.
This is how normal people think. I think Boom's just trying to start as many arguments with me as possible this week so that maybe he'll win one.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

oregontrack wrote:
greenyellow wrote:But I'd see no real harm in taking a player who'd be filling a scholarship of player who only had a year left anyways. If anything, learning from an experienced post player could help Keumper and temporarily provide depth at a position of need.
This is how normal people think. I think Boom's just trying to start as many arguments with me as possible this week so that maybe he'll win one.
well at least I'm not the only one :lol:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Boom wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:Even tho I'm sure he would have helped. But only for 1 year. I'd rather see
Altman bring in talent that's gonna be here longer. There was also nothing to
suggest he was coming here for sure. So this doesn't bother me at all.
+1

You can't build programs off of 1yr rentals... would rather see those minutes go to Kuemper (assuming he doesn't redshirt).
Agreed, maybe for the first year, just so we have enough bodies. But now that DA has his first class in the bag, no more one and done's please.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

oregontrack wrote: I understand the logic of taking a 1 and done player if it helps you win games. Believe it or not, every single person involved with the Oregon basketball program right now is working to put the best possible product on the court for the 2011-12 season, not 2014. This odd obsession you have with forfeiting the present for the future has always perplexed me; I've never encountered anyone who thinks the way you do. At the end of the day, you're fighting tooth and nail over 4-6 minutes for a true freshman who hardly even projects out as a high contributor at this level.

What Kuemper needs next year is to hit the weights and work his ass off in practice. Losing a couple minutes a game where we'd be running sets for other players is not something anyone's worrying about, save you.
How many more wins would Ashaolu give us? I doubt it's many.... if any at all.

And there would be a significant difference in Kuemper's minutes..... not 4-6.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Boom wrote:
oregontrack wrote: I understand the logic of taking a 1 and done player if it helps you win games. Believe it or not, every single person involved with the Oregon basketball program right now is working to put the best possible product on the court for the 2011-12 season, not 2014. This odd obsession you have with forfeiting the present for the future has always perplexed me; I've never encountered anyone who thinks the way you do. At the end of the day, you're fighting tooth and nail over 4-6 minutes for a true freshman who hardly even projects out as a high contributor at this level.

How many more wins would Ashaolu give us? I doubt it's many.... if any at all.

And there would be a significant difference in Kuemper's minutes..... not 4-6.
A player like Ashaolu? I don't know, he could help shore up the frontline and help us win quite a few games.

Kuemper... oy. He's not going to get a ton of minutes anyway. Honest question: have you seen him play? You make him sound like a future all-league power forward who we're going to build the team around. In reality, he's a soft big man who shoots a lot of jumpers, and that's all he'll be for us next season. I have no idea why you're hung up on him.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

You two act like you are married.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

we do have a certain chemistry don't we
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Like vinegar and baking soda...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Mops
Four Star Recruit

Post by Mops »

There is no reason why he'd hurt Oregon at all next season. No recruit in the 2012 class will be scared by adding him because he will be gone when they get here. He will help solve Oregon's depth issues along the front line that they need help in, badly. Lastly if Oregon's hoping to use Kuemper for more than 10 minutes a game than Oregon will either be in trouble and could use a guy like this or Kuemper came in way under-rated.

If Oregon could afford to redshirt AK I bet they would. Problem is they cant as they need him now. He should be a good player down the road but getting 5 points, 3 rebounds, and a block a game as a freshman would be golden.