McGough signs with Dodgers

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

uostudent
Senior

McGough signs with Dodgers

Post by uostudent »

LINK
Plum's McGough signs with Dodgers

Scott McGough said he spent more than two hours signing papers over the weekend with a representative of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

A few years from now, he could be signing autographs in the big leagues.

McGough, a Plum native and junior relief pitcher at the University of Oregon, inked a minor league contract with the Dodgers, who took him in the fifth round of last week's first-year player draft. He was the 164th player taken overall.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but the Dodgers agreed to pay for McGough's final year of education at Oregon.

"I think I wrote down my Social Security number 79 times; it was a big stack of papers, I know that," McGough, 21, said. "But it's great knowing I am hopefully on my way to the majors. It's all starting to sink in. And it's great to know I can still go back to school and finish my education. That was a big part of the deal my dad and I discussed with (the Dodgers)."

McGough will get a physical Wednesday in Phoenix and leave for Odgen, Utah, on Thursday, where he'll suit up for the Ogden Raptors of the advanced rookie Pioneer League. It's a step before Single-A ball.

McGough (6-foot-1, 185 pounds), who has been clocked at 97 mph this season, believes he can find a niche in the bullpen.

He also was a star shortstop in high school and at the American Legion level, but has gained notoriety as a closer.

"That's a role I have had most of my life, coming in and closing the game," he said. "As I got older and more mature, I kind of realized that (pitching) would be my ticket. I could be playing first base by the time I get my shot (in the majors), and I'd be fine with that too. I am just happy to have the opportunity."

McGough is the highest Alle-Kiski draft pick since Mickey Morandini in 1988. Morandini, a Leechburg product playing for Indiana University in Bloomington at the time, also was taken in the fifth round (120th overall) by the Phillies.

McGough was drafted out of high school by the Pirates in 2008 (46th round), but he opted to accept a scholarship to Oregon.

"All the credit in the world goes to my coaches at Oregon," McGough said. "They have helped me get ready to take the next step.

"My family and friends also have helped out a lot, too. And my best friend was drafted, so we have kind of gone through all of this together."

Eight Oregon players were selected in the draft, including four in the first seven rounds. McGough's friend, left-handed pitcher Tyler Anderson, was the 20th overall pick by the Colorado Rockies.

McGough said Anderson hasn't decided whether he is signing or returning to Oregon.

"If he signs, it'll probably be around the deadline," McGough said.

This season, McGough was 3-6 with a 3.59 ERA and five saves. He had 62 strikeouts and 25 walks in 572/3 innings.

His father, Tom, was drafted out of Johnstown High School in 1973 by the Cleveland Indians. A fourth-round pick (77th overall), he spent seven seasons in the minors but never played in the majors.
Love that McGough is going to come back to Oregon to finish up his degree.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
greenyellow

Re: McGough signs with Dodgers

Post by greenyellow »

You don't see players get teams to pay for their education too often so it's a nice change of pace. It also shows a bit of maturity on McGough's part since he values his education enough to probably have suggested they do that so he would sign now.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: McGough signs with Dodgers

Post by UOducksTK1 »

How often does a player sign with a team but still stay in college to finish his degree?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13