Carsen Kelly

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

RanDux
Senior

Re: Carsen Kelly

Post by RanDux »

Duck24 wrote:Easy to say that 550+K isn't a lot of money/life altering money when it isn't your money lol. Say he suffers a serious injury (acl, tommy john etc), he probably wouldn't sniff 550k signing bonus. Kid has a difficult decision to make.
Or at least take out an insurance policy for that amount.
RHDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by RHDuck »

I'm a Cardinals fan, they have taken a few guys that may sign for less than slot money so far. I'd be surprised if Kelly makes it to Eugene, Stl should be able to throw a million at him or very close to it.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

From espn insider: One of my favorite players in the draft is Carson Kelly, a third baseman from Westview High School in Portland, Ore. He tweeted late Monday -- after not being selected in the first 60 picks -- that he was headed to Eugene to play for the Ducks in 2013, but the St. Louis Cardinals took him at No. 86. There's buzz that the asking price is between $1 million and $1.5 million, and if it stays there he's likely to see school -- and the draft again in three years.
USUaggieDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by USUaggieDuck »

Duck24 wrote:Easy to say that 550+K isn't a lot of money/life altering money when it isn't your money lol. Say he suffers a serious injury (acl, tommy john etc), he probably wouldn't sniff 550k signing bonus. Kid has a difficult decision to make.
I read that tommy john surgery makes many players better than they were preinjury

Posted from my Android
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

USUaggieDuck wrote:
I read that tommy john surgery makes many players better than they were preinjury

Posted from my Android
For some, it helps increase the velocity on their pitches since the elbow is tightened up a bit, but others are never the same afterwards. It all depends on how well he heals and how his rehab goes.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

thomas time wrote:From espn insider: One of my favorite players in the draft is Carson Kelly, a third baseman from Westview High School in Portland, Ore. He tweeted late Monday -- after not being selected in the first 60 picks -- that he was headed to Eugene to play for the Ducks in 2013, but the St. Louis Cardinals took him at No. 86. There's buzz that the asking price is between $1 million and $1.5 million, and if it stays there he's likely to see school -- and the draft again in three years.
That's a quite a bit more money than I thought since the OL.com article said they would could or would offer only $574K. If he turns that down, then Oregon is getting a heck of a player.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Kelly signed with the Cardinals for $1.6 million! Congrats to him. That's way too much money to pass up. I figured that the Cardinals would come to an agreement with him when I saw who they drafted in the supplemental round.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Damn. Good deal for Kelly and the Cardinals. Good luck, young man.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Sucks that Oregon has lost so many good prospects to the pros. Oregon really doesn't bring in many star field players that are absolute monster hitters. Horton needs to find some better hitters than what he has since pitching and defense only gets them so far. The offense at times was just cringe-worthy.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Tough loss for the ducks, but pretty much expected it with that much money offered.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

over a million over the slotted amount... definitely would have been crazy to pass that up. kudos to kelly.
ImageImageImageImageImage
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Bummer, but can't blame him. That is a lot of money, best of luck to him.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Now, I hope he can be smart enough to sock it away, invest it, or something to at least make a significant portion available when baseball is in the rear view mirror.

Best of luck, Kelly!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!