some baseball news this AM from the R-G

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

some baseball news this AM from the R-G

Post by oregontrack »

thomas walker and billy flamion, both freshmen last year, have left the program. i had both as contenders to start.

the battle for the starting catcher gig looks to be between shaun chase (my pick), true freshman josh graham (roseburg hs), and some converted infielders in scott heineman and craig meredith. with walker gone and heineman at catcher (if he sticks), looks like 3B is ryan hambright's.

horton and the uo still working on that contract situation.

steven packard is back! i speculated about that in my final blog of the season. he was a very good bat during our 2010 run, then took off for a church mission.
ImageImageImageImageImage
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: some baseball news this AM from the R-G

Post by oregontrack »

small update in the r-g today, apparently shaun chase has really grabbed hold of the catcher job. horton says he's in better shape this year and is showing to be a pretty high IQ guy. also said even if he doesn't catch, he'll be working out a lot either at 1B, DH, or possibly even the OF. they need his power in the lineup.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

oregontrack wrote:thomas walker and billy flamion, both freshmen last year, have left the program. i had both as contenders to start.

the battle for the starting catcher gig looks to be between shaun chase (my pick), true freshman josh graham (roseburg hs), and some converted infielders in scott heineman and craig meredith. with walker gone and heineman at catcher (if he sticks), looks like 3B is ryan hambright's.

horton and the uo still working on that contract situation.

steven packard is back! i speculated about that in my final blog of the season. he was a very good bat during our 2010 run, then took off for a church mission.
Any ideas why Walker and Flamion left?
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

playing time, i would imagine. for the flamion the outfield is packed, and the coaches may see him more as a relief pitcher anyhow. heineman is a better fielder than walker at 3B and walker may have been pushed to DH duties.