Pretty big development today at the Pepsi Invite

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

TTownDuck
One Star Recruit

Pretty big development today at the Pepsi Invite

Post by TTownDuck »

Cyrus Hostetler threw a 272-10 today in the javelin. New Pac-10 record, 4th best collegiate throw ever.

That's huge because if he can come close to replicating that again in the important meets later in the year, the Ducks are looking really good for their 5th Pac-10 title in 7 years and their first NCAA title since '84.

If you have Rupp doubling in the 5,000 and 10,000, Wheating doubling in the 800 and 1500, Ashton continuing his dominance in the decathlon, that's a probable 42-50 points right there, among 3 athletes. Hostetler putting up another big set of points in the javelin might just seal the deal for the Ducks. Then there's Biwott, Acosta, Centrowitz, and Puskedra chipping in points as well...
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Re: Pretty big development today at the Pepsi Invite

Post by gofightingducks »

That would be awesome if the Ducks can win both the PAC-10 title and a NCAA title and complete the tri-fecta with the Cross Country and indoor and outdoor titles!!!!!
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

Yeah, that was an awesome throw.

On a side note, it amazes me how pathetic the Oregon men sprinters are.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Another big development was that freshman woman sprinter who broke the school record in the 100 and 200. She's definitely the future star of Oregon sprinting.
TTownDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by TTownDuck »

Graduation has hurt our sprints, for sure, but we also didn't have Jamere Holland or LaMichael James on hand because of football. That's some serious speed that didn't run today.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

The Duck women won the event and the Duck men took second to Indiana
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

TTownDuck wrote:Graduation has hurt our sprints, for sure, but we also didn't have Jamere Holland or LaMichael James on hand because of football. That's some serious speed that didn't run today.
Do you know how they have been doing? I don't pay close attention to our track team but I did try to look up what times those 2 were clocking but I couldn't find any.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Looking back at 'coulda, woulda, shouldas'... Former Duck tight end Russ Francis (Early 70's), once set the National High School record in the javelin, in 1971... 259 feet, 9 inches (Also ran a 9.5/100 yard dash... Not bad for a 6'6"/240 TE). He had been throwing for just over 1 month, at the time.

He never came close to that in his brief flirtation with the Duck track program.

Worthles fun fact:

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_deta ... PRKey=5187

Francis and other NFL players took part in a 20-man battle royal in the main event. Although he was the last remaining football player in the ring, Francis still remembers his in-ring encounter with Andre “The Giant.” Francis took part in the extravaganza because of his father’s involvement as a wrestling promoter in Hawaii and his ties with the WWF. In fact, Andre was one of the wrestlers who used to babysit Francis and his siblings.

“He was looking at me like he was hungry and I was a hors d’oeuvre,” Francis recalled. “He hit me so hard, I hit the mad on the back of my neck and I bounced back to my feet and said, ‘You know Andre, I thought we were friends?’ With a big smile on his face he said to me, ‘Outside the ring, we are friends. Inside the ring, I’m Andre the Giant.’ Then I hit him as hard as I could.”
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

Loved watching Andre the Giant...,
story of Francis reminds me of a line of Andre's from the "Princess Bride" where he and the hero Wesley are wrestling...
Westley: [as he is unsuccessfully fighting Fezzik] Look, are you just fiddling around with me or what?
Fezzik: "I just want you to feel you're doing well. I hate for people to die embarrassed. "
MerDuck
Four Star Recruit

Post by MerDuck »

VinnyKnuckles wrote:Yeah, that was an awesome throw.

Note sure on this, but If I'm not mistaken La Michael James & Jamere Holland are both sprinters, and they will be joining the team after spring ball, also I thought I had heard that some sprinters were kinda sitting things out and or not pushing to hard (but just hard enough for qualifying times) because in reality the regular season (whatever that means) doesn't matter as much in track...I am not an avid track guy but I have been paying attention lately...so this could be crap or some really good info...you guys be the judge.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The days of high profile dual meets are long gone... Most teams now concentrate on sending their athletes to high profile relays, invitationals and other such competitions with the main aim being to qualify as many athletes as possible for the big-time conference, regional, and national meets.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

With the schollie limits its hard to establish a completely dominate team. The Ducks have always focused on middle to long events to complment their xcountry team; weight field events were once a dominate area (hammer, shot, discus)

Back in the 70's the mind set was that sprinters were not physically acclimated to the cooler weather. WSU (with its Kenyan connection)... OSU all focused on the that middle to long distance and field event mindset; Sprinters are highly strung to get that explosion needed off the blocks; too much of a risk for pulled muscles in the cold weather, hence the sprinters tended to come from the south, USC, UCLA (mind you I am speaking of PAC-8 time frame here). The advantage always was and still is today that xcountry teams and distance runners need room to run; hard to do that successfully in LA...

Should the Ducks get an indoor track complex the maybe the sprinter corp could develop,
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

1. http://www.tvaarchitects.com/flash.html
2. Go to Current Projects
3. Go to Hayward Field Renovation
4. Check out Virtual Video

The Indoor Track facility looks like it will be pretty nice!
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

Nice facility; that complex is going to be impressive when completed; a long and different environment from the old Hayward I was familiar with.
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

Greydrake wrote:

With the schollie limits its hard to establish a completely dominate team. The Ducks have always focused on middle to long events to complment their xcountry team; weight field events were once a dominate area (hammer, shot, discus)

Back in the 70's the mind set was that sprinters were not physically acclimated to the cooler weather. WSU (with its Kenyan connection)... OSU all focused on the that middle to long distance and field event mindset; Sprinters are highly strung to get that explosion needed off the blocks; too much of a risk for pulled muscles in the cold weather, hence the sprinters tended to come from the south, USC, UCLA (mind you I am speaking of PAC-8 time frame here). The advantage always was and still is today that xcountry teams and distance runners need room to run; hard to do that successfully in LA...

Should the Ducks get an indoor track complex the maybe the sprinter corp could develop,
Great points...luckily we don't need to worry for the short term because our team is kicking ass!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!