#3 Oregon vs #1 UCLA (Saturday 8pm!)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: #3 Oregon vs #1 UCLA (Saturday 8pm!)

Post by greenyellow »

oregontrack wrote:that was me, and i stand by that comment 100%. i asked several times for someone, anyone, to name someone worse, just a single name, and nobody could. and that's because i was spot-on accurate, he was as bad as anyone could ever hope to be.

there's no crow to be had because i never said he was always going to be terrible. i understand the concept of player improvement, thus i never said we were stuck with the guy we had the disfortune of watching for several weeks. i believe it was in the stanford game thread that i said he had played remarkable and had clearly picked things up. but i said he was playing like the worst point guard in the nation at the time because he was, in fact, the worst point guard in the nation.

/distinctions
How do you know he was the worst? Do watch every PG in CBB? Unless you watched every game, then you can't really say he was the worst. There are plenty of PGs on D1 teams that would never get a sniff of PT at Oregon and are nowhere near as good as Loyd. Saying he was the worst point guard in the nation is just hyperbole and an overreaction by many here. And your /distinctions point is you just moving the goalposts of the argument and covering your butt from being wrong.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

greenyellow wrote:
oregontrack wrote:that was me, and i stand by that comment 100%. i asked several times for someone, anyone, to name someone worse, just a single name, and nobody could. and that's because i was spot-on accurate, he was as bad as anyone could ever hope to be.

there's no crow to be had because i never said he was always going to be terrible. i understand the concept of player improvement, thus i never said we were stuck with the guy we had the disfortune of watching for several weeks. i believe it was in the stanford game thread that i said he had played remarkable and had clearly picked things up. but i said he was playing like the worst point guard in the nation at the time because he was, in fact, the worst point guard in the nation.

/distinctions
How do you know he was the worst? Do watch every PG in CBB? Unless you watched every game, then you can't really say he was the worst. There are plenty of PGs on D1 teams that would never get a sniff of PT at Oregon and are nowhere near as good as Loyd. Saying he was the worst point guard in the nation is just hyperbole and an overreaction by many here. And your /distinctions point is you just moving the goalposts of the argument and covering your butt from being wrong.

you have to use a little common sense. of course it was hyperbole, this is the internet. if people were truly caught up in the fact that i ranked jonathan loyd #749 out of the 749 players in the country who played point guard at the d-1 level (or however many), then those people are idiots and don't deserve a second thought. the point, which i felt was pretty freaking clear, was that he was awful.

i'm not sure you know what 'moving the goal posts' means. i back up the comment i made fully. i'm not going to apologize for something i never said. i've been brutally honest with loyd from the get-go, when he was awful i blasted him and when he played well in spots down the stretch i said as much.
ImageImageImageImageImage
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I don't understand why people can't make that distinction. Loyd was absolutely awful up until a few weeks ago. This past week of him playing out of his mind doesn't change that. There's no crow to eat or admitting of wrong that needs to be done. I don't remember anyone ever saying that he couldn't improve or turn things around. They were simply stating the obvious during that moment, Loyd was terrible. Now he's playing great & anyone, like myself, who was down on him before has acknowledged that fact. It doesn't mean we need to pretend like he wasn't ever bad before.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

oregontrack wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

/distinctions

you have to use a little common sense. of course it was hyperbole, this is the internet. if people were truly caught up in the fact that i ranked jonathan loyd #749 out of the 749 players in the country who played point guard at the d-1 level (or however many), then those people are idiots and don't deserve a second thought. the point, which i felt was pretty freaking clear, was that he was awful.

i'm not sure you know what 'moving the goal posts' means. i back up the comment i made fully. i'm not going to apologize for something i never said. i've been brutally honest with loyd from the get-go, when he was awful i blasted him and when he played well in spots down the stretch i said as much.
Generally your takes are good, but calling a backup player with light experience and being thrown into a tough situation, awful is idiotic. Aaron Brooks his freshman year was inexperienced and not that effective, James Davis and Tajaun Porter could barely get the ball past half-court when they was pressed into duty as point guards. Awful to me means no talent, Loyd has talent. Awful was Kofi Keyi, if you go back that far.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

loyd is a junior who started 16 games as a freshman and 11 games as a junior, averaging about 20 minutes a game both seasons. he was averaging at least 20 minutes/per this year at the time of artis' injury, if not more.

loyd had plenty of action under his belt by the time artis went down. though i don't necessarily agree with your definition of awful -- i think talented players can indeed play awful -- i don't think it's idiotic at all even under your definition.
ImageImageImageImageImage