Fun Season

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

uosportsguy01
Two Star Recruit

Fun Season

Post by uosportsguy01 »

Well not the way I'd hope it would end, however a fun season all in all.

A new school record for wins, in the hunt for the PAC 12 title right up till the last regular season series and watching Sherfy and Healy have huge seasons. A lot of enjoyment there. Some talented young players new to the program in Irvin, Cleavinger, Tolman and Baumgartner which hopefully can help continue the momentum thats been built up.

Over the coming weeks/months as the sting of losing in the Regionals wears off, I'm sure I'll have more thoughts about the status of the team going forward, but right now those are some of the initial thoughts going thru my head.

Good luck to the teams that advanced!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Fun Season

Post by UOducksTK1 »

It's never fun to lose a regional that you're hosting. But that doesn't negate a record-breaking season and IMO a team that somewhat overachieved. Our bats have been pretty bad overall for a top 10 national team. It's incredible that we won 48 games. Hats off to the pitching and consistent hitting from Healy, and surprisingly from Tolman too.

Horton is a great coach, so I'm sure we will be in the post season again next year.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon has a great recruiting class coming in. They really need for more of the infielders to stick since Oregon only has 1 IF that played this year (Tolman) and every other one on the roster will be a SR next year. They've just lost so many to transfer and the MLB Draft. Next couple of years need a lot of attention there. Here's a list of signees for 2013 (possible JC players not included in the list so I'd expect it to possibly grow.) 5 of the first 9 are listed as possible top 200 draft picks so I expect many of those to not show at Oregon.

Matt Krook
LHP 6-2 190 L-L St Ignatius College Preparator Hillsborough CA

Dane McFarland
OF 6-4 205 R-R J Serra Laguna Niguel CA

Francis Christy
C 6-1 215 L-R Casa Grande Petaluma CA

Cody Bellinger
1B 6-4 180 L-L Hamilton Chandler AZ

Chance Sisco
3B 6-1 180 L-R Temescal Canyon Corona CA

Trent Paddon
RHP 6-4 220 R-R Yorba Linda Yorba Linda CA

Anthony (AJ) Balta
OF 5-11 175 L-R Valencia Valencia CA

Zack Aukes
LHP 5-11 180 L-L Pioneer Woodland CA

Jacob Sweaney
C 6-2 175 R-R Garces Memorial Bakersfield CA

Greg Harris
RHP Aliso Niguel Newport Beach CA

Mark Karaviotis
SS 6-1 175 R-R Maui Kihei HI

Patrick Murphy
RHP 6-4 205 R-R Hamilton High School Chandler AZ

Austin Grebeck
OF 5-9 160 R-R Mater Dei Laguna Hills CA

Brett Nielsen
LHP 6-4 220 L-L Sheldon Eugene OR

Joe Schindler
RHP 6-1 190 R-R South Eugene Eugene OR

Jerry Houston
MIF 5-8 175 R-R Mt. Carmel Dolton IL

Stephen Nogosek
RHP 5-10 140 R-R Woodcreek Roseville CA

Marco Pierce
3B 6-4 215 R-R Clovis West Fresno CA
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Joe Schindler (south eugene) signed a LOI with northwestern
ImageImageImageImageImage
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

oregontrack wrote:Joe Schindler (south eugene) signed a LOI with northwestern
Read that earlier so the list (from Perfect Game USA) hasn't been updated. Usually Oregon released a list of signed players but I can't find one for the 2013 class while OSU announced their's fully in the fall. It's odd the class is said to ranked #6 in the country, yet can't find a finalized signee list anywhere (http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =206020067). Don't know what to make of that. Either they're still going after other players or not all players they had committed have signed.
uosportsguy01
Two Star Recruit

Post by uosportsguy01 »

I also searched everywhere for an official list, but couldn't find anything other then the Perfect Game one. Nothing from the university, I thought that was strange as all previous years it was posted on website.

Really irrelevant anyway as until after the draft/signings, you never know who'll end up on campus, so all this ranking of signings is just silly..... To fully evaluate a signing class, you need to wait 3 years, then go back and rank them. See who actually ended up on campus and who actually played and contributed.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

uosportsguy01 wrote:I also searched everywhere for an official list, but couldn't find anything other then the Perfect Game one. Nothing from the university, I thought that was strange as all previous years it was posted on website.

Really irrelevant anyway as until after the draft/signings, you never know who'll end up on campus, so all this ranking of signings is just silly..... To fully evaluate a signing class, you need to wait 3 years, then go back and rank them. See who actually ended up on campus and who actually played and contributed.
I'd say the 2011 and 2012 classes for position players has been an absolute trainwreck, especially the INF. To only have 1 underclassmen from the past 2 classes there is kind of pathetic, especially for a coach like Horton.
uosportsguy01
Two Star Recruit

Post by uosportsguy01 »

well it'll be interesting after draft who we end up losing.

I'm guessing Krook, McFarland, Christie and Bellinger end up signing. Speculation on my part based upon where ranked and draft info I've heard about them. Sisco might get drafted, though I don't think high and he's someone that might be able to come in and help out. I know nothing of Karaviotis, though the body type seems a fit for ss, so who knows. That's a huge area of concern for next year. Houston's "measureables" are Santos/Minjares like, so we'll see where he fits. He's an interesting "get" from Chicago, wonder how the coaches came across him. Have we had anyone else on team from that area?

Balta can play second, though they have him listed as an outfielder and I believe he's listed as an outfielder for Medford Rogues in West Coast League this summer, so maybe they just see him as an outfielder on the college level. Pierce is listed here as a 3rd baseman but he's listed as just a pitcher for the Conejo Oaks this summer.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Oregon will make it to Omaha at some point. Horton has this program on the doorstep, and the talent level across the board will continue to improve. Even though Oregon loses some great players after this season, they still will be very good. The starting rotation will be in-tact, and a the bullpen won't be completely screwed with the loss of Sherfy. Cleavinger could be the closer, and was fantastic this season as a middle reliever.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
uosportsguy01
Two Star Recruit

Post by uosportsguy01 »

Sisco went way higher then I'd expected. Can't see how he ends up on campus now. Krook went about as expected and he's gone (as expected).

It'll be interesting to follow today/tomorrow and see who else gets drafted.
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

btw balta is laying 2nd for the rouges in their first two games