Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

The Register-Guard Article on CK

Post by UOducksTK1 »

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp

Awesome write up on CK. Gotta love what he brings to our program.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Re: The Register-Guard Article on CK

Post by woundedknees »

"Kelly was Leonard’s coach on the field. As a safety, he made sure none of the other defenders was beaten for big plays. Offensively, he blossomed after being switched from running back.

“When he moved to quarterback, there was just no stopping him,” Leonard said. “He understood what we did so well, and he understood what the people across the way were doing. And he just made one miraculous play after another.”

Kelly put his quick feet to use in an offense developed at Syracuse, which thrived using rollout passes. Even now, Leonard says, he sees hints of that scheme in what Kelly does at Oregon, getting his quarterbacks outside the pocket where they can see the whole field and throw on the run."

HMmm... I'm beginning to see a pattern here!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

The commentary about him being a creator rather than a copy-cat was great. Just in the few years he has been at Oregon, we've seen that. He's shown the capacity to very effectively adapt to who we have.
freedjr
Four Star Recruit

Post by freedjr »

I just read the article and I love it that he got spittin' mad when the head coach would go for a field goal. Sounds like a Madden player!

Anyone else see us going for it a lot on 4th down? I see lots of tense moments in our near future!
stewbertwilloughby
Five Star Recruit

Post by stewbertwilloughby »

freedjr wrote:I just read the article and I love it that he got spittin' mad when the head coach would go for a field goal. Sounds like a Madden player!

Anyone else see us going for it a lot on 4th down? I see lots of tense moments in our near future!
http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=892888
I remember ESPN did a bit on this coach. It actually makes sense, in high school.
GO DUCKS!
freedjr
Four Star Recruit

Post by freedjr »

stewbertwilloughby wrote:
freedjr wrote:I just read the article and I love it that he got spittin' mad when the head coach would go for a field goal. Sounds like a Madden player!

I remember ESPN did a bit on this coach. It actually makes sense, in high school.
I remember reading a similar article about him. Plus, Tuesday Morning Quarterback Gregg Easterbrook often talks about not punting or going for field goals. In some of his articles, he breaks it down and it actually makes sense. With Oregon's high powered offense, I think it would make sense for them. Especially this year when our kicking game is still somewhat up in the air.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I was wondering when someone was going to actually quit punting. While I was studying mathematics in college we actually addressed that topic from a statistical stand point. Funny thing is pure statistics tells you that your odds of winning a game increase if you do not punt the football. However, I don't know if I would be the first to try that at the college level.

freedjr wrote:
stewbertwilloughby wrote:

I remember reading a similar article about him. Plus, Tuesday Morning Quarterback Gregg Easterbrook often talks about not punting or going for field goals. In some of his articles, he breaks it down and it actually makes sense. With Oregon's high powered offense, I think it would make sense for them. Especially this year when our kicking game is still somewhat up in the air.
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

northbeachsf wrote:I was wondering when someone was going to actually quit punting. While I was studying mathematics in college we actually addressed that topic from a statistical stand point. Funny thing is pure statistics tells you that your odds of winning a game increase if you do not punt the football.
Amen. My brother and I have been talking about this for years... I dont have any statistical evidence but it would seem logical that not punting on EVERY 4TH DOWN would/could work into an advantage, especially for a team with a quick scoring high powered offense like ours...

The forward pass took a while to catch on once the mold was broken on run only offenses, maybe CK will be the modern day Knute Rockne?!?! (widely credited with expanding the popularity of the forward pass in the early 1900's)...

GO DUCKS!

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

I'm thinking in the opposite direction. I'd like to see a return of the drop kick. ;)
freedjr
Four Star Recruit

Post by freedjr »

Know what I love about Chip? Honestly, can any of you say you'll be surprised if he goes no-punt/field goal or if he brings back the drop kick? Wouldn't surprise me at all!