Offseason Discussion/League Improvements

You can talk about all sim related stuff here.

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Offseason Discussion/League Improvements

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Who doesnt like improvements? Use this thread to throw your idea into the ringer and the whole league can discuss the idea and whether or not to implement it. Here are some ideas to start:

Division Reshuffle:
Imagine a division with the Magic, Cavs, Knicks, Rockets, Warriors, Kings, 76ers. We have the ability to change the DASL landscape and introduce new rivalries, produce fresh matchups and to spice things up.

Legends:
How would Bill Russell, Pistol Pete and other legends hang in todays game? By introducing legends into the draft classes(only 1 or 2 every class) we can see if they could stand the test of time and dominate this era like they used to in theirs.

Salary Cap Increase/Cap Floor:
It has been awhile since a cap increase and I have currently been negotiating a lucrative TV deal so there could be some extra cash to splash. Also, what are your thoughts on a cap floor? We could introduce a cap floor in which every team much spend a minimum amount without penalty. This can create a more competitive FA environment as teams will need to splash the cash.
Brophdog88
Senior
GM: Denver Nuggets

Re: Offseason Discussion/League Improvements

Post by Brophdog88 »

Magic, Cavs, Knicks, Rockets, Warriors, Kings, 76ers

This is a very very very very bad idea
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
Brophdog88
Senior
GM: Denver Nuggets

Post by Brophdog88 »

Division Reshuffle:
Imagine a division with the Magic, Cavs, Knicks, Rockets, Warriors, Kings, 76ers. We have the ability to change the DASL landscape and introduce new rivalries, produce fresh matchups and to spice things up.

Legends:
How would Bill Russell, Pistol Pete and other legends hang in todays game? By introducing legends into the draft classes(only 1 or 2 every class) we can see if they could stand the test of time and dominate this era like they used to in theirs.

Salary Cap Increase/Cap Floor:
It has been awhile since a cap increase and I have currently been negotiating a lucrative TV deal so there could be some extra cash to splash. Also, what are your thoughts on a cap floor? We could introduce a cap floor in which every team much spend a minimum amount without penalty. This can create a more competitive FA environment as teams will need to splash the cash.

I'd say no to all of these, though the cap floor I could probably be convinced to support. The cap is plenty big, all increasing the cap does is up the contract amounts a bit, and make the MLE and Rookie Deals more valuable. The cap at 40 Million is fine, it keeps rookie deals and the MLE from being disproportionately cheap, and the Hard cap is large enough we don't run into any issues.

Legends in the draft makes no sense while we still have drafts filled via real life players "seeing if they stand the test of time" is odd, because its just going to be how we perceive them to be through a current lens, but legends tend to lead to overrating, and we already have a talent pool to work with.. Once we move out of real life players, then going retro or fake becomes the question.
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
Marzeial
Freshman
GM: Atlanta Hawks

Post by Marzeial »

I really like the Increase/floor. Could make things interesting especially having to spend a certain amount.

I think the legends could make things interesting. They could definitely make things interesting in a few years when we catch up to reality
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

I'd prefer to play out the current league and then possibly start over if there's continued interest.
dave
Sophomore
GM: Cleveland Cavaliers

Post by dave »

Boom wrote:I'd prefer to play out the current league and then possibly start over if there's continued interest.
I agree here.
CLEVLAND CAVS
Marzeial
Freshman

Post by Marzeial »

I'd definitely be down for a reset if we could keep it going also
Marzeial
Freshman

Post by Marzeial »

I'd definitely be down for a reset if we could keep it going also
dennocj
Five Star Recruit
GM: Indiana Pacers

Post by dennocj »

I like the ideas in theory, but I don't think they'd work very well in practice. The only thing I would change teams wise is updating the team names such as the Bullets to the Wizards, Supersonics to the Thunder, and updating the cities of the team to the current year.

I also like the idea of the legends, but would rather play with current guys until we catch up to current time or even pass current time at which point I'd just like to restart if enough people would be interested in that.

And for the cap, I believe that it should stay where it's at. I think too many players are already getting max deals and raising the cap would just increase that number. I've gone back and forth about the cap floor, but I think we're alright with out it. Sort of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type thinking for me.

Just my thoughts though, if majority wants these changes then I'll roll with the punches for sure.
Dbray07
Two Star Recruit
GM: Toronto Raptors

Post by Dbray07 »

I'd be down for the reset as well!
Micah 6:8
dennocj
Five Star Recruit

Post by dennocj »

The only improvement I would like to see is for a way for faster communication. Whether that be everyone giving Ownage their phone number or something. I hate how damn long the draft takes and it's just overall easier if he can directly contact those who are less active than others or aren't able to check in on the draft regularly.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

dennocj wrote:I like the ideas in theory, but I don't think they'd work very well in practice. The only thing I would change teams wise is updating the team names such as the Bullets to the Wizards, Supersonics to the Thunder, and updating the cities of the team to the current year.

I also like the idea of the legends, but would rather play with current guys until we catch up to current time or even pass current time at which point I'd just like to restart if enough people would be interested in that.

And for the cap, I believe that it should stay where it's at. I think too many players are already getting max deals and raising the cap would just increase that number. I've gone back and forth about the cap floor, but I think we're alright with out it. Sort of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type thinking for me.

Just my thoughts though, if majority wants these changes then I'll roll with the punches for sure.
I'd agree with all of this.
TheGodfather
One Star Recruit
GM: Seattle SuperSonics

Post by TheGodfather »

NO CAP INCREASE!!!
dave
Sophomore
GM: Cleveland Cavaliers

Post by dave »

I'm still a firm believer in my fiscal plan of creating a max contract cap to avoid vets having ballooning salaries making them virtually untradable.

There should still be a distinct advantage for teams who have birds but either limit amount or years you can max players over the age of 30.
CLEVLAND CAVS
dennocj
Five Star Recruit

Post by dennocj »

dave wrote:I'm still a firm believer in my fiscal plan of creating a max contract cap to avoid vets having ballooning salaries making them virtually untradable.

There should still be a distinct advantage for teams who have birds but either limit amount or years you can max players over the age of 30.
If a GM offers a player a ridiculous contract or one that balloons then it's their fault that they aren't able to trade them.