Ducks in Rio

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Ducks in Rio

Post by greenyellow »

USA wins the women's 4x400 relay with Francis running a good 3rd leg. That's 4 gold medals and 1 bronze medal won by Ducks this Olympics.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

greenyellow wrote:The Ducks now have their 3rd gold as Centrowitz wins the 1500, the first American win in that event since the 1908 Olympics.

Phyllis Francis will be running the 3rd leg of the 4x400 relay later tonight. Americans are prohibitive favorites to win.
What a race by Matthew Centrowitz! He got the inside position and held of every challenge. Incredible.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Biggus Duckus wrote:
Phalanx wrote:
greenyellow wrote:The Ducks now have their 3rd gold as Centrowitz wins the 1500, the first American win in that event since the 1908 Olympics.

Phyllis Francis will be running the 3rd leg of the 4x400 relay later tonight. Americans are prohibitive favorites to win.
What a race by Matthew Centrowitz! He got the inside position and held of every challenge. Incredible.
Kinda crazy how they ran. Centrowitz's winning time would have gotten him 11th place at the NCAA meet this year. That last lap was screamin' though.
Finals end up being about tactics, not speed. That happens because no one really wants to risk taking it out fast and then not have a kick at the end. The prelims and semifinals were all run faster because no one wants to miss out on spots in the final by going too slow.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Galen Rupp takes bronze in the marathon, after going fifth in the 10,000. What a machine. Ducks getting medals in running events that Americans don't usually medal in. Seems like a pretty good sign.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

What a machine indeed. I watched the full marathon, and Rupp was seriously impressive. So proud!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

For what it's worth, Ryan Crouser comes from a family of ducks (Barlow HS, Gresham OR), and if we had an engineering program than he would have undoubtedly wound up in Eugene instead of UT-Austin.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

StevensTechU wrote:For what it's worth, Ryan Crouser comes from a family of ducks (Barlow HS, Gresham OR), and if we had an engineering program than he would have undoubtedly wound up in Eugene instead of UT-Austin.
His parents actually went to Idaho, cousins and uncles were ducks. Texas had a better rep for throwers and a full ride scholarship. That was the difference.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

rentdodger1 wrote:
His parents actually went to Idaho, cousins and uncles were ducks. Texas had a better rep for throwers and a full ride scholarship. That was the difference.
Yea, I'm lumping the Crousers all together. That's awesome he had a full-ride to Texas; those are so hard to come by in T&F.

This is what I remember from years back--
“A big thing for me was academics. I want to go into mechanical engineering, and Oregon is a liberal arts school,” he said. “Texas and Stanford both have really competitive engineering programs, and I felt like Texas was really well balanced between academics and athletics.”

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/sports/ ... right-foot
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

StevensTechU wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:

Yea, I'm lumping the Crousers all together. That's awesome he had a full-ride to Texas; those are so hard to come by in T&F.

This is what I remember from years back--
“A big thing for me was academics. I want to go into mechanical engineering, and Oregon is a liberal arts school,” he said. “Texas and Stanford both have really competitive engineering programs, and I felt like Texas was really well balanced between academics and athletics.”

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/sports/ ... right-foot
Very few athletes end up with any kind of an engineering/architecture degree due to the rigors of athletics and academics. My understanding is that he was an excellent student but had to end up making a choice of athletics over academics and got his degree in business mgmt or econ. The reality is there is not a lot of Andrew Luck types in high D-1 athletics.
Weston
Three Star Recruit

Post by Weston »

Phalanx wrote:Galen Rupp takes bronze in the marathon, after going fifth in the 10,000. What a machine. Ducks getting medals in running events that Americans don't usually medal in. Seems like a pretty good sign.
Marathon runners freaking amaze me. I pushed really hard one time and managed a 6-minute mile at Hayward Field in one of my PE classes way back when. I promptly went behind the stands and puked. Rupp just strung together 26 sub 5-minute miles. Good grief!