Prairie View A&M @ Oregon (Monday 6 PM PST Pac-12 Networks)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Re: Prairie View A&M @ Oregon (Monday 6 PM PST Pac-12 Networ

Post by whosyourwally »

We looked extremely athletic and everyone appears to be able to shoot the three. If we just had a little more height, there’d be no ceiling on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

whosyourwally wrote:We looked extremely athletic and everyone appears to be able to shoot the three. If we just had a little more height, there’d be no ceiling on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just make swing Brandon McCoy, who had 25 and 18 the other night.
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

I see the Paul White/Moser comparison. I think White is a smarter player already though. I really think he's the closest thing we've had to Leunen under Altman. Really excited to see him develop. He's the perfect kind of player to have the in program while we're also bringing in potential one and dones like Troy Brown and Louis King.
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

mattc94 wrote:
Kyle's Brother wrote:
mattc94 wrote:We would have been the proverbial creek if he had transferred.
lol no
he's the closest thing we have to a big man and he plays tougher than his frame suggests.
I really don't get this. He's unbelievably bad on the interior. I don't know what you're watching to make you think he's our best big man. That take though... is just astounding to me. He plays awful, awful defense on the low block, and can't establish position at the offensive end. There's no hate for him at all, he just isn't a big man. There's a place for him though. Think of him more as a tall James Davis. His three point stroke is beautiful. He can give us minutes as a catch and shoot three point threat off the bench. He just isn't the post player you want him to be. No shame in that. It just isn't his game.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Dana Altman post-game:

Keith Smith and Troy Brown post-game:
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

fk Brandon McCoy...
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

A few of my thoughts from what I saw last night.

Can Portland trade Cash Considerations and Moe Harkless for Troy Brown? He looks like he's going to become a lottery pick by the time the season is over.

I don't feel worried about Pritchard at all because I feel he's almost holding some of what he's capable of back right now in order to let his teammates find their groove. He seems to have a calming effect for the team and if he can hit from outside he's going to have a season that might go under the radar for some but we'll recognize for all the little things.

I'm alright with Elijah Brown and Victor Bailey rushing/forcing things a bit right now, you can tell they've got a plan, they're just still getting used to their teammates. I don't like seeing Abu Kigab doing that though.

Sorkin is a stretch player who has really shown some great effort and heads up plays so far. His pass from the high post to a cutting TB was a nice play to see from him as well as the hustle on the block. If he can continue giving effort throughout games we'll be able to live with him getting beat by bigger players if he's able to make it work on the offensive end. Sorkin feels like Garrett Sim to me in a lot of ways only that Sim had to play early on. I'm excited by the jump in his game but I'm not going to hold him to lofty expectations.

McIntosh and Wooten display active work down low which is what we need. It's clear size is going to be our only hold-up this season in addition to so many new faces getting adjusted. 1 Starter and 2 back-end rotation guys returning means a lot of minutes are going to new comers but one of my favorite traits about Coach Altman is his ability to teach the game and see his team and players both improve throughout the year. To that end Paul White seems like a High IQ guy who will effect the game through proper positioning, making the right pass/shot, etc.

Even though the score was more in our favor, I thought this game tested us better than the Coppin St game did. The Defensive rotations need to get better, especially against big men/in the paint (and we'll likely lose a few games this year because of it to some good teams) but if this squad takes it 1 game at a time, I like our chances to punch our ticket to the dance.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Duck07 wrote:A few of my thoughts from what I saw last night.

Can Portland trade Cash Considerations and Moe Harkless for Troy Brown? He looks like he's going to become a lottery pick by the time the season is over.

I don't feel worried about Pritchard at all because I feel he's almost holding some of what he's capable of back right now in order to let his teammates find their groove. He seems to have a calming effect for the team and if he can hit from outside he's going to have a season that might go under the radar for some but we'll recognize for all the little things.

I'm alright with Elijah Brown and Victor Bailey rushing/forcing things a bit right now, you can tell they've got a plan, they're just still getting used to their teammates. I don't like seeing Abu Kigab doing that though.

Sorkin is a stretch player who has really shown some great effort and heads up plays so far. His pass from the high post to a cutting TB was a nice play to see from him as well as the hustle on the block. If he can continue giving effort throughout games we'll be able to live with him getting beat by bigger players if he's able to make it work on the offensive end. Sorkin feels like Garrett Sim to me in a lot of ways only that Sim had to play early on. I'm excited by the jump in his game but I'm not going to hold him to lofty expectations.

McIntosh and Wooten display active work down low which is what we need. It's clear size is going to be our only hold-up this season in addition to so many new faces getting adjusted. 1 Starter and 2 back-end rotation guys returning means a lot of minutes are going to new comers but one of my favorite traits about Coach Altman is his ability to teach the game and see his team and players both improve throughout the year. To that end Paul White seems like a High IQ guy who will effect the game through proper positioning, making the right pass/shot, etc.

Even though the score was more in our favor, I thought this game tested us better than the Coppin St game did. The Defensive rotations need to get better, especially against big men/in the paint (and we'll likely lose a few games this year because of it to some good teams) but if this squad takes it 1 game at a time, I like our chances to punch our ticket to the dance.
Good observations. I noticed last night that the ducks had a better flo when Troy Brown had the
ball in his hands either on the break or in the half court. I thought Pritchard held the ball to long in the
half court at times and others stood there waiting. But like you said he has a whole new team to get used
to.

I thought that Bailey and Kigab looked much better than on Friday. They are both really
athletic and can run. A perfect fit in Dana's system. I really Dont know what to make of Sorkin.
One game he looks like a starter next game not so much. White is a good shooter needs to be stronger inside.
Wooten has so much potential like Bell did when he first got here. The transfers were also good.
Elijah Brown forces to much. Once he figures things out he will not press so hard.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Wooten is ahead of Jordan Bell offensively, but behind him defensively/strength wise as to where they were as freshman. Wooten has a couple decent post moves and a FT stroke on offense whereas Jordan didn't do that until last season. On defense he needs to add some weight and he doesn't have Bell's rare instincts.

I get the comparisons, but I think they are reasonably different as players.

Will be really fun to watch him and Bailey develop though. Those two kids can both be NBA players if they work hard and listen to Dana. Don't think anyone else on the roster outside of Brown, Bailey, and Wooten are future NBA guys. (PP could get a cup of coffee if he improves his shot enough).