Leavitt and Cristobal, clarification please

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Leavitt and Cristobal, clarification please

Post by Alan »

From what I heard George was wrong in his interpretation of Leavitt's contact. Two things please what is Leavitt's buyout? Also, what was the Ducks theory on making Cristobal interim HC over Leavitt?

On a side note, I have gone through my range of emotions about Taggart's BS, certainly did not like how he handled things and how he treated player, coaches and recruit, but now I'm ready to set back and wait for the Ducks to get their man. I heard on the radio from a "Grief like" reporter the Ducks gave themselves a Sunday deadline........... so I guess my emotions will stay in check until they hire a coach or Sunday late afternoon which ever comes first! Lol

Any help with my two questions?
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Re: Leavitt and Cristobal, clarification please

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

I believe Leavitt's buyout is $500k before Jan 31, 2008 and $250k after that date. I remember reading that from a post in another thread.

Wrightster believes that making Cristobal Interim HC is strategy because he has zero buyout. If WT wanted Cristobal he could have just grabbed him, but now we've essentially locked him up until at least the bowl game. Leavitt has the $250k penalty for not being patient, so it's a bit of a different scenario.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

So IIRC... Tray Dub said that Jim's buyout right now is around 4M but after the Bowl Game there is nothing preventing him from quitting outright in the contract if he really wants to leave money on the table. Otherwise it's not really reduced until February in a substantial way.

From comments from players and what little sleuthing we can do it seems to come down to this: The Players really liked Mario in general this year and felt he was genuine with them and is a highly regarded recruiter. Leavitt seems to more or less be taking the approach of "Why wouldn't they offer me the HC spot?" The Kansas State job is also in a weird spot right now and we gave Jim an out-clause for the wildcats. At first it was thought they just named Mario Interim HC because he was in town but some think it might be jockeying with FSU for the coaches. FSU reportedly has 5.5M to spend on 9 coaches (support staff? IDK) so if Jim is taking 2M of that, that's 3.5M for 8 coaches (~440K/coach) or as I like to put it now, that's $123K/scholarship player/year for a school that cannot afford to pay it's players.

Personally I'd love to see Jim bolt for FSU after the bowl game only to end up taking the Kansas St job a few weeks later once Snyder has the decision removed for him, lol.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i would think (and correct me if i'm way off base) that cristobal would be a lot less expensive than, say, bringing in a guy like sumlin. not that i'd want to low ball cristobal in any way, it's just that if he wants be a HC at a P5 school and we're the only team offering at the moment, there's no reason to bid against ourselves.

if that's true, i'd love to break the bank on the assistants, both holdovers and anyone of high quality cristobal wants to bring in to complete his staff.
ImageImageImageImageImage
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

I like how Cristobal was part of those storied championship "The U" teams. I think he'd be a good leader at UO. Especially because it doesn't seem like he's ever jockeyed himself to be the leader- instead he's brought energy, enthusiasm, and great recruiting strategy to our program. It'd be a shame to lose what we've developed with him- our 3-years-ahead recruiting strategy.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

I wonder how much the players are able to get their desires to Mullens?
And how much that weighs in his decision. They always say its all about the
student athelete.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Basically can't keep both.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Why does Leavitt think following Willie gives him a better opportunity for exposure as an HC? I mean, if he stays and proves he can totally turn UO's defense around from the abysmal year we had last year, wouldn't it essentially be equal as an opportunity?
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

I think at this point seeing everyone get behind Cristobal is going to upset him and he’s just going to want to leave. I Wouldn’t have said that a few days ago but after seeing some of his recent posts he wants a HC so bad and it seems like he’ll be mad if they go internal and he’s not the guy.
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

5$ wrote:Why does Leavitt think following Willie gives him a better opportunity for exposure as an HC? I mean, if he stays and proves he can totally turn UO's defense around from the abysmal year we had last year, wouldn't it essentially be equal as an opportunity?
I totally agree. Making a lateral move almost dampens his chances for a HC position. Continuing to improve at UofO would put him in a better spot, IMO.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Question regarding Leavitt. In another thread there was discussion of him tweeting that he got to spend the night with his girls before flying back (to Eugene?). Are his wife and kids still in Colorado? Seems strange with a four year contract.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

REALLY not understanding the "can't keep both" narrative..

Cristobal HC, Leavitt the highest paid DC in the west. FSU is further from his girls...
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

GrantDuck wrote:REALLY not understanding the "can't keep both" narrative..

Cristobal HC, Leavitt the highest paid DC in the west. FSU is further from his girls...
X2!
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

GrantDuck wrote:REALLY not understanding the "can't keep both" narrative..

Rumor is that Leavitt's power play to become HC didn't sit well with the rest of the coaching staff who made some sort of pact to stay together if one of them was promoted. It might have passed on to the players as you see that even the players on defense are supporting Cristobal.

All the insiders are saying that Leavitt is as good as gone. Pretty sure he's already the highest paid DC in the Pac-12.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Duck07 wrote:So IIRC... Tray Dub said that Jim's buyout right now is around 4M but after the Bowl Game there is nothing preventing him from quitting outright in the contract if he really wants to leave money on the table. Otherwise it's not really reduced until February in a substantial way.
The buyout is actually $500,000 through January 31, 2018, then drops to $250,000. (To be clear, a buyout means that's what Leavitt or the school hiring him has to pay to our Athletic Department.

The hiring timeline is this: he can talk to another school any time so long as he notifies the AD. He cannot actually quit his UO job until after our postseason is over (so not until December 17, 2017).

Not sure where the $4M figure comes from, I heard that was Wrighster's misreading but I don't know. It's not the buyout number.

(edit: garbled wording.)
Last edited by Tray Dub on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.