2018 Depth Chart

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Re: 2018 Depth Chart

Post by alxtw »

Even USC's annual pull of 5 star CBs get torn up during their first years.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

skdragon1 wrote:Jhop hearing carlberg moving to OL, daewood moving to DB, kampmoyer moving to TE and Gus moving to DE. Odds are generally long that position changes work out but obviously rooting for the best team possible here. If permanent, will be interested to see how this shakes up the depth chart

Some of those moves seem very odd: I am very surprised that Carlberg and Kampmoyer can be spared on the DL. Both of them played in all 13 games last year. If those are in fact the moves, I wonder if others will be moving to DL besides Cumberlander, or if grad transfers are expected soon.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Everythingsducky wrote:
Phalanx wrote:I remember how bad Phinisee and Gipson were in 2012, and they were a strength of the team by their senior seasons. Seems like there is a learning curve at that position that is only cured by getting reps. So throw the five new guys out there and get it over with.
Gipson was great his senior year, but struggled up til then. I certainly hope he isn’t what we want to expect. The young secondary must develop much quicker than he did. I can think of another long starting CB...er, Springs, that had a good to great Senior year, but was not a very good corner his first few years. Ducks need a faster learning curve with these young guys.
It's just the way it goes sometimes. Troy Hill was marginal until busting out his senior year. Now he's a certified stud in the NFL. The best thing you can do is not put your team in a position where they have to rely on 18 year olds as starters.

Thanks skdragon! Really easy to see most of those moves. Kampmoyer isn't fast-twitch enough to play DE, so at the least he gives us some needed depth at TE. Carlberg probably has a build better for the OL. Cumberlander makes tons of sense as a DE at his size. I scratch my head at the Daewood Davis news, though.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

skdragon1 wrote:Jhop hearing carlberg moving to OL, daewood moving to DB, kampmoyer moving to TE and Gus moving to DE. Odds are generally long that position changes work out but obviously rooting for the best team possible here. If permanent, will be interested to see how this shakes up the depth chart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Cumberlander move makes sense, I don't know about the other ones.

I thought Carlberg was a decent body to have in the middle of the DL and we have no shortage of O-linemen.

Kampmoyer I had heard might be moving, but that's still a bit surprising. He was the scout team defensive player of the year in 2016, and while he doesn't have top-end athleticism we're not exactly overflowing with DE talent. Kampmoyer has also really bulked up, The official roster lists him at 6'4" 245, but I think he's a solid 15-20lbs bigger than that. If they're using him as a blocking type tight end in run situations I can see that, since Breeland and McCormick aren't good blockers.

Daewood is puzzling. Weren't we just talking about him being a darkhorse candidate to make a difference in the WR corps? At least use his speed to run some go routes and keep the D honest. I re-watched his Hudl recently, and I was trying to think of the last time we had a legit speed, deep threat WR. Devon Allen? Not a tactician like a Carrington or a shifty guy like Nelson or Addison. I don't see one on this roster right now.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phalanx wrote:

Some of those moves seem very odd: I am very surprised that Carlberg and Kampmoyer can be spared on the DL. Both of them played in all 13 games last year. If those are in fact the moves, I wonder if others will be moving to DL besides Cumberlander, or if grad transfers are expected soon.
Yeah gotta agree. DL isn't exactly oozing with depth. Interesting moves.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I've heard that although these guys were "depth" guys they weren't really providing "good depth". Plus, this is more for their betterment than the betterment of the team.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Ran into Brady Breeze and Jordon Scott at my church yesterday. My friend asked about RB situation and they spoke highly of CJ. They made it sound like he’s the favorite to start.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Ran into Brady Breeze and Jordon Scott at my church yesterday. My friend asked about RB situation and they spoke highly of CJ. They made it sound like he’s the favorite to start.

Can't wait to see CJ on the field. I'm also in the camp for Breeze to get way more playing time.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

FlDuckFan wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Ran into Brady Breeze and Jordon Scott at my church yesterday. My friend asked about RB situation and they spoke highly of CJ. They made it sound like he’s the favorite to start.

Can't wait to see CJ on the field. I'm also in the camp for Breeze to get way more playing time.
Agree with this 100%