Who stays? Who goes?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OG Duck
Two Star Recruit

Who stays? Who goes?

Post by OG Duck »

Now that the men's season has come to an end, it's officially time to speculate on which players will not return for next season.

Of course, three seniors will graduate: McIntosh, E Brown, and Sorkin.

Next you have potential NBA draft early entrants. My heart thinks Troy Brown stays, but my head thinks he goes. Brown could use another year of seasoning under Altman, but he's a surefire first round pick at this point.

Lastly, who transfers? I could see Keith Smith transferring considering how little burn he got this year, and the fact that Louis King will be getting prime wing minutes next year. This is especially the case if Troy Brown sticks around. Otherwise, maybe just MJ Cage leaves. His future doesn't look too bright in Eugene unless he's willing to stay in deep reserve land.

What do y'all think?
Merganzer
Senior

Re: Who stays? Who goes?

Post by Merganzer »

It is something that Troy Brown didn't declare for the draft immediately like Arizona's Ayton & Trier did. It's easier to understand when you look at what Ayton & Trier have to look forward to next year at AZ compared to what Brown has set up for him next year at Oregon. Does he want to make a run in the NCAA's or play in the G League? I think he'll go.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I think Troy Brown is gone. He had a twitter post a few days ago that seemed like maybe he was frustrated with the fans. I think he took more heat than he deserved this season. He was NOT the issue this year.

He does pretty much everything well. He was one of two players on the team this year that could create his own shot and get to the rim (the other being McIntosh). He got us second chance points. He is a good free throw shooter. He rebounds extremely well for his size and plays solid defense. On multiple occasions, he completely shut down an opponent that was lighting us up when Altman switch TB over to him on defense. He has incredibly quick hands for his size which generated steals. Overall, when you look at his complete body of work, he is an outstanding player.

If he can clean up the turnovers and increase his perimeter FG percentage, look out.
I hope he comes back next year, but I think that is a pipe dream.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I agree, Troy Brown was great this year, I never got the hate for him, maybe fans just had super high expectations for him. He does need to cut down on the turnovers though, that’s an issue. But I think he was the best player on the team this year. I think Altman put him in a position he didn’t want to be in and Prichard and Elijah Brown dominated the shots and ball handling leaving him in the dust. Hopefully he’s thinking that with Elijah Brown gone, he’ll get more opportunities and the team chemistry will be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yeah I think he's gone too. Anytime you are projected to be a top 25 pick, and you know you will never be a top 10 pick. Do it. No reason to wait.

With that being said, if he stayed, Oregon is a top 25 team in the country. Could be fun for him to try to win the Pac-12, and make a run in the tournament.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Re: T. Brown, he won't be a top 20 pick. Maybe I have a different thinking than players, but I'd take another year of college over the G-league at 19 any day.

As far as the rest of the team, there's no real solid information, so anything would be speculation. Main hope is that PP, Kigab, VJ, and Wooten all come back better and healthy.

Outside of that, who really knows?
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

I'm expecting Cage to transfer and hoping Smith transfers. Both seem like good kids, but ultimately they're wasting roster spots/scholarships.

I won't be surprised or bothered either way with Troy Brown. We're a better team with him, for sure, but if he's getting first round feedback he's gotta go.
quackfu
One Star Recruit

Post by quackfu »

Kyle's Brother wrote:I'm expecting Cage to transfer and hoping Smith transfers. Both seem like good kids, but ultimately they're wasting roster spots/scholarships.

I won't be surprised or bothered either way with Troy Brown. We're a better team with him, for sure, but if he's getting first round feedback he's gotta go.
No, you hope Cage and Smith stay because they are taking roster spots that won't be filled next year. Adds depth. Maybe a transfer, but after this year, do we need that?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Smith isn't wasting a spot. He is limited but he's a good defender & brings energy. If he's cool with coming off the bench then he's a good glue guy.

Cage is gone IMO.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Yeah I think he's gone too. Anytime you are projected to be a top 25 pick, and you know you will never be a top 10 pick. Do it. No reason to wait.

With that being said, if he stayed, Oregon is a top 25 team in the country. Could be fun for him to try to win the Pac-12, and make a run in the tournament.
I'm not following this part of the logic?
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

I'd love for him to return... but I'm always going to assume that guys go for the guranteed contract. It's too rare that they don't.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

bigsugarduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Yeah I think he's gone too. Anytime you are projected to be a top 25 pick, and you know you will never be a top 10 pick. Do it. No reason to wait.

I'm not following this part of the logic?
Troy Brown isn’t going to improve his stock by staying another year. in fact, it’s more likely that his value drops if he stays another year. Being a projected top 25 pick as a freshman is really good. Id Take advantage of that.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

we saw so little of cage i wasn't able to form an opinion one way or the other.

smith, on the other hand, i'd love for him to stay his final two years. programs needs upperclassmen, even in limited roles, to stick around and be positive bench contributors, even if that contribution is limited minutes but leaders in practices and whatnot. from what i've seen, both from last year's bunch that went pro and this year's team, he seems like a popular/likable guy.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Just had to check the WNBA draft eligibility rules: we get to keep SI and Ruthy for 4 years unless they graduate early, so at least one more year!