Austin Meek: Apathy should be alarming for Oregon baseball

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Austin Meek: Apathy should be alarming for Oregon baseball

Post by oregontrack »

http://www.registerguard.com/sports/201 ... n-baseball

i didn't realize 2020 was an option year. assuming that option is controlled by the university, that changes things. with two fully guaranteed years left on his deal i don't think oregon would make a move, but if he's down to one year guaranteed they might bite the bullet and fire him once the season concludes.
ImageImageImageImageImage
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Austin Meek: Apathy should be alarming for Oregon baseba

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Austin Meek is dead on, this is on Rob Mullens for the lame extension he gave Horton. Horton’s effort has not been good this season, which is what happens when people get big pay cuts. It’s management 101, honestly better to fire someone than to demote them or give a huge paycut, because their motivation levels will be non existent. I think there needs to be more of an emotional investment from Mullens into the baseball program for it to survive, but it seems to me Mullens doesn’t care much for the baseball program, so why should anyone else? Fans aren’t being given a good experience, so why should we care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

How sad that this part of the board is called "Field of Dreams" and PK park has been anything but.
I'm guessing as long as we don't go winless in a season, they will not fire Horton, as he is baseball guru and Oregon can't get anyone better than that.
Do we even get good recruiting classes anymore? I have no idea what the team has
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

i read somewhere the average attendance was just 900 and change? I would bet the ladies averaged almost twice that. :o
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

900 :shock: and the SID probably threw in an extra 400 just so it won't be as embarrassing
It's a mess but no real sense of fixing of it I guess.
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

Rumors floating around is that Oregon is going to fire Horton
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

oregon has denied the rumor
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

imo the decision leaked, but oregon wants to give horton the opportunity to resign first. we shall see.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

ah, i am wrong (as was that reporter who first announced horton was being let go): UO announces horton will officially be back next year.

we bring back yovan and somers so the rotation could be very good, but obviously we're all aware of how poorly we hit. steer and matthews will be back, anyway. or at least they should be.

the recruiting class is reportedly very strong and we could certainly use an influx of talent, but i don't know if "very strong" means "a lot of kids who will likely be drafted and we'll never see." obviously that does us no good.
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

and now they will finish with a losing record