Men’s BB picked to win PAC-12

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Men’s BB picked to win PAC-12

Post by Duck24 »

Pretty cool to have both B-ball teams picked to win the conference. Hopefully it happens.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Men’s BB picked to win PAC-12

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Gotta wonder how much those UCLA injuries factored into this. There's 5 teams that could end up being #1. Should be a fun year.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It's going to be a tough league still. Only things potentially working against Oregon are their youth and lack of depth at the guard/wing spots.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:It's going to be a tough league still. Only things potentially working against Oregon are their youth and lack of depth at the guard/wing spots.
If we stay healthy and we get King sometime before January, I think we are at the top or will be very near the top. We have too much post depth. And while our guard depth is a little concerning, we have players.

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:It's going to be a tough league still. Only things potentially working against Oregon are their youth and lack of depth at the guard/wing spots.
If we stay healthy and we get King sometime before January, I think we are at the top or will be very near the top. We have too much post depth. And while our guard depth is a little concerning, we have players.
I think its really just another proven ball-handler that we really need and maybe thats Will Richardson. We certainly don't lack for guys who can play on the Wing, they just need to stand out. Really hoping for a big step up from Vic Bailey
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Here are my Top 5 teams:

1) Washington is very, very dangerous. They have talent, experience, and good coaching. Sometimes I think experience is undervalued in these polls. They return all their starters from a 21-win team last season. PLUS, they only play AZ, ASU, UCLA, and USC once in their schedule (4 of the top 6 teams). I hate to say it, but I actually think they win the conference this year.

2) Oregon has some issues at guard position and they are young, but they have as much talent as anyone else and arguably the best coach in the conference. The schedule is much more difficult than UW, as they play 4 of the bottom 6 teams only once (CO, UT, Stanford, and Cal). I think our Ducks finish second.

3) Arizona still has a TON of talent with Williams, Akot, Barcello, Lee, Jeter, & Randolph. Doutrive will be better than expected out of the gate and will earn solid playing time. They finish third.

4) I just don't believe in UCLA. They are really hurting at the guard position with the injury to Campbell. Is Hands going to play 40 minutes every game? I still don't believe in Alford either. They always seems to under perform. I have them in 4th.

5) USC has talent and will benefit from Boatwright's return and will squeeze into the NCAAs.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Duck07 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
I think its really just another proven ball-handler that we really need and maybe thats Will Richardson. We certainly don't lack for guys who can play on the Wing, they just need to stand out. Really hoping for a big step up from Vic Bailey
And that's a fair critique. I think we gotta bank of Will Johnson being our next ball handler behind Pritchard.

Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

northbeachsf wrote:Here are my Top 5 teams:

1) Washington is very, very dangerous. They have talent, experience, and good coaching. Sometimes I think experience is undervalued in these polls. They return all their starters from a 21-win team last season. PLUS, they only play AZ, ASU, UCLA, and USC once in their schedule (4 of the top 6 teams). I hate to say it, but I actually think they win the conference this year.

2) Oregon has some issues at guard position and they are young, but they have as much talent as anyone else and arguably the best coach in the conference. The schedule is much more difficult than UW, as they play 4 of the bottom 6 teams only once (CO, UT, Stanford, and Cal). I think our Ducks finish second.

3) Arizona still has a TON of talent with Williams, Akot, Barcello, Lee, Jeter, & Randolph. Doutrive will be better than expected out of the gate and will earn solid playing time. They finish third.

4) I just don't believe in UCLA. They are really hurting at the guard position with the injury to Campbell. Is Hands going to play 40 minutes every game? I still don't believe in Alford either. They always seems to under perform. I have them in 4th.

5) USC has talent and will benefit from Boatwright's return and will squeeze into the NCAAs.
With you on all of these. The rest of the conference will miss Lorenzo. Alford is a lot like Mora was with the football team. Enfield is a good coach, and it looks like they appear to have a quality freshman class. Bruins & Trojans battling it out for 4th.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck24 wrote:Pretty cool to have both B-ball teams picked to win the conference. Hopefully it happens.
https://goducks.com/news/2018/10/11/men ... picks.aspx

It is the first time in conference history that the preseason selections to win the league in men's and women's basketball have come from the same school.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Merganzer wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Pretty cool to have both B-ball teams picked to win the conference. Hopefully it happens.
https://goducks.com/news/2018/10/11/men ... picks.aspx

It is the first time in conference history that the preseason selections to win the league in men's and women's basketball have come from the same school.
Crazy that UCLA or Arizona never did it. Even Stanford had a few seasons I want to say with the Lopez twins where the Women's program has always been tough.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I've heard from multiple sources that Will Richardson had a really impressive summer and will absolutely be in the rotation this season.He has kind of an interesting, Kyle Anderson type pace to his game, but I haven't seen him extensively.

Anyone going to Matt Madness?
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Pretty similar to how I feel. Utah is really underrated(yet again) and will at least be an NIT team. I think ASU is the biggest wildcard. Hurley hasn't had this level of talent yet, so we'll see what that screaming asshat can do.

I think by the end of the season Arizona/Oregon/USC/UCLA will be the 4 best teams(just like last season); but that UW's experience and schedule breaks will get them the conference title.

For Oregon it's going to be about finding that chemistry together. I think Amin is going to be WAY better for that than our shooting guard last season was. Our defense could very well be a top 5 defense nationally once they learn to play together. We're going to have 2 guys that are going to be top 10 in the nation in blocks and a former NCAA steals leader. That's ridiculous.

Offensively...well, I'll wait and see, but there's a fair chance it's going to be a really inconsistent non-conference at that end without Lou King(bucket machine). Not sure how we're going to work with playing more bigs at this end either. Yes, Bol Bol can shoot, but is he a skilled passer? Has Wooten improved his passing? Will VJ Bailey be more consistent shooting? We'll see.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrantDuck wrote:

Pretty similar to how I feel. Utah is really underrated(yet again) and will at least be an NIT team. I think ASU is the biggest wildcard. Hurley hasn't had this level of talent yet, so we'll see what that screaming asshat can do.

I think by the end of the season Arizona/Oregon/USC/UCLA will be the 4 best teams(just like last season); but that UW's experience and schedule breaks will get them the conference title.

For Oregon it's going to be about finding that chemistry together. I think Amin is going to be WAY better for that than our shooting guard last season was. Our defense could very well be a top 5 defense nationally once they learn to play together. We're going to have 2 guys that are going to be top 10 in the nation in blocks and a former NCAA steals leader. That's ridiculous.

Offensively...well, I'll wait and see, but there's a fair chance it's going to be a really inconsistent non-conference at that end without Lou King(bucket machine). Not sure how we're going to work with playing more bigs at this end either. Yes, Bol Bol can shoot, but is he a skilled passer? Has Wooten improved his passing? Will VJ Bailey be more consistent shooting? We'll see.
I was just going to bring up Amin, he seems to be a great pick-up, not publicized like the recruiting class guys, but will have a crucial role.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index. ... iver_index

"I guess it's cool," junior guard Payton Pritchard said Thursday at Pac-12 media day. "But it really doesn't mean anything. It's not like they give you a trophy."

"We still want to be the hunters, even if we are the ones that are being hunted," senior forward Paul White said. "That's forever going to be the mantra of Oregon basketball."
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »