Oregon @ Houston (Dec 1, Sat 6 PM ESPN2)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Oregon @ Houston (Dec 1, Sat 6 PM ESPN2)

Post by UOducksTK1 »

-Paul White has regressed. Once King is healthy, he should come off the bench.
-Pritchard and Bol are our only half court scoring options. Really don’t have much else.
-Bol is terribly lazy on defense and defensive rebounding.
-Our defensive rebounding has been awful all year considering our size.
-Our defense has actually been pretty good this year.
-Richardson is great and should be our 3rd scoring option.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I still don't think "lazy" is a fair take on Bol's rebounding. He's far and away the best defensive rebounder on our team(besides maybe Okoro), despite being rail thin. Nobody is even close to him when it comes to rebounding rate at that end on our team.

I think he has frequent mental lapses defending and rebounding, but Bol hustles and when he's engaged, goes hard after rebounds. This is part of learning as an 18 year old kid that you have to be mentally engaged all the time at this level and above. As Altman mentioned, he lacks stamina as well and he physically cant go hard at both ends, but I don't think he's lazy.

Now White and Wooten..and even Kigab..there's no excuses for them not to have more rebounds. Amin is outrebounding all 3 of those guys. White IS lazy, Wooten tries to jump out of the gym instead of boxing out, same with Kigab.

It's getting better. There were some positives steps rebounding against Houston.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I do like the potential of this lineup:

Richardson
PP
King
Wooten
Bol

Bailey needs more shots too. He's shooting 50% from 3.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

GrantDuck wrote:I still don't think "lazy" is a fair take on Bol's rebounding. He's far and away the best defensive rebounder on our team(besides maybe Okoro), despite being rail thin. Nobody is even close to him when it comes to rebounding rate at that end on our team.

I think he has frequent mental lapses defending and rebounding, but Bol hustles and when he's engaged, goes hard after rebounds. This is part of learning as an 18 year old kid that you have to be mentally engaged all the time at this level and above. As Altman mentioned, he lacks stamina as well and he physically cant go hard at both ends, but I don't think he's lazy.

Now White and Wooten..and even Kigab..there's no excuses for them not to have more rebounds. Amin is outrebounding all 3 of those guys. White IS lazy, Wooten tries to jump out of the gym instead of boxing out, same with Kigab.

It's getting better. There were some positives steps rebounding against Houston.
Entirely agree, Bol hustles however he just lacks instincts for defensive rebounding but that’ll come with time. You can tell he’s still used to high school where his height allows him to do what he wants, but you can tell he’s trying to learn how to get better position on defense and he certainly hustles. He also tends to get stuck on the perimeter where he’s most comfortable.

And also agree on Wooten, it’s annoying watching him just jump for a rebound before he even knows where the ball is going. His obsession with jumping is why we lost to Texas Southern, he doesn’t get injured then Oregon doesn’t lose. Only guy on this team that knows how to get position for defensive rebounding is Okoro, who I still really want to see play more right now with White looking awful. My ideal starting lineup with King out is:
Richardson
Pritchard
Kigab
Wooten
Bol
With Okoro being the first guy off the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I think more tall basketball players should do swimming workouts to lessen the impact on their joints, especially someone like Bol who isn't built like a normal person who happens to be tall. Swimming will put your lungs/muscles on fire in a way that other workouts can't match and it's always been a thought I've had that its something more athletes should do because of the weightlessness. You can be in good shape and a 50-100M free sprint will have you gasping.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Duck07 wrote:I think more tall basketball players should do swimming workouts to lessen the impact on their joints, especially someone like Bol who isn't built like a normal person who happens to be tall. Swimming will put your lungs/muscles on fire in a way that other workouts can't match and it's always been a thought I've had that its something more athletes should do because of the weightlessness. You can be in good shape and a 50-100M free sprint will have you gasping.
Bol would probably be a pretty darn good swimmer if he's got any form with those limbs!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrantDuck wrote:I still don't think "lazy" is a fair take on Bol's rebounding. He's far and away the best defensive rebounder on our team(besides maybe Okoro), despite being rail thin. Nobody is even close to him when it comes to rebounding rate at that end on our team.

Go watch the easy layups and offensive rebounds by opposing teams and note how many times Bol didn’t properly box out or help defense.

Of course he’s our best rebounder, he has the best length in the Pac-12.

Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

Go watch the easy layups and offensive rebounds by opposing teams and note how many times Bol didn’t properly box out or help defense.

Of course he’s our best rebounder, he has the best length in the Pac-12.
Yes, being Oregon's best rebounder is faint praise indeed. It's not only the balls at the basket the Ducks aren't getting, it's the loose balls on the floor that opposing teams are picking up as well
duckwatcher
High School Drop Out

Post by duckwatcher »

Production is directly related to minutes. White and Amin have been the least productive in those terms as they both have enjoyed long stretches of play and 25 minutes plus per game. Bailey and Kigab on the other hand are in the 12 to 15 minute range and for the most part have been limited to a 2 to 3 min stint at a time. Even the commentators have mentioned their surprise that these players are removed at times or do not return to the court after a quality stint.

To say Kigab does not box out is interesting and naive as I would suggest he over boxes out if that is such as thing. He often travels far from the basket to make contact and then is not in a position to secure the board. It does however free up others.

For two years now Coach Altman has rested heavily on senior players and graduate transfers and we know how that ended up last year. He says he wants energy, defense, and toughness yet limits those who display those qualities to spot up duty.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yeah Kigab has been scrappy on getting rebounds and crashing the boards. I've appreciated his effort for the most part. He just needs to stop shooting.

duckwatcher
High School Drop Out

Post by duckwatcher »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Yeah Kigab has been scrappy on getting rebounds and crashing the boards. I've appreciated his effort for the most part. He just needs to stop shooting.
Or start making.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

duckwatcher wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Yeah Kigab has been scrappy on getting rebounds and crashing the boards. I've appreciated his effort for the most part. He just needs to stop shooting.
Or start making.
If Kigab took the three ball out of his rotation it would be helpful. He seems to have a midrange game and goes to the hoop hard and ends up at the foul line, but outside of 15 feet he’s no bueno at this point of his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk