Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: UCLA @ Oregon (Thur 6 PM ESPN)

Post by greenyellow »

shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Stick a fork in it, this team is not the #1 preseason pick in the P12.
Although there's still time to catch up and win.

And I don't know about tinkle being average, he's had our number and seems to be better than everyone in our team.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

It's a PR move, but I really hate the "blame myself" (George Horton) route that Dana Altman is taking. I like him and still want to give him a chance. But at least come out and say "they played like sh*t at the end and I coached like sh*t"
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Well we are missing 3 starters from when the beginning started.

And also or core rotation is majority of soph/fresh. Ya we don’t look great but I expect very little this season.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

OregonFan4Life wrote:If fans don’t start criticizing Altman now then they never wil. Not saying fire him but his coaching this year and last year have not been up to the standard he set for the program, and I’m sure he’d even admit that. I know in the past fans wanted to blame players for choking games by playing timid and slow late to allow a comeback but with it happening with so many different teams it has to be Altman coaching not to lose.
Gotta have talent to win no matter how good the coach is. Epic choke tonight is on the players...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I thought they played a lot better tonight for the first 35 minutes. Honestly, even though they totally choked that away, they were much better tonight.

Some perspective....the next 16 games don’t mean anything. Oregon is not getting into the tourney unless they win the conference tournament. Wins and losses in the regular season no longer matter. The only thing that matters right now is improvement so that we have a chance to win the conference tournament I saw improvement tonight.

Altman will have them playing well enough to win that tournament. I guarantee it.
GDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by GDuck »

The last 2 years Oregon has played not to lose at the end of games (lucky we haven't lost more) and I think Pritchard is a big part of that in the way he plays. He can't create much on his own and is very tentative when games are in the balance. I still trust in Altman, but the coaches need to start looking at other ways to score - the weave that worked well a couple years ago is no longer working the last 2 years. Whether it is due to the players or defenses are have adapted, I'm not sure what it is. But I do know that continuing to do the same thing and not improving is not a good sign. When these things happen in football we are more likely to push for a change in scheme than it seems in basketball. Maybe it is our trust in Altman, but something needs to change - more fast break and up tempo and playing to win for all 40 minutes is a start in my opinion.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

A few quick thoughts:

-That sucked. Gut punch.

-Team rebounding continues to be a problem for Altman coached teams. Only the year we had Kazemi were we a really good rebounding team. Yes, a lot of fluky stuff happened to give UCLA that win, but I think he needs to analyze how he teaches rebounding this offseason. Pritchard and Richardson both got caught ball watching in the final minutes on rebounds and it cost Oregon the lead, more than anything else. I have no clue whatsoever why Okoro wasn't in there to get a rebound in that situation where you know they are going to miss.

-What was going to be a tough Pac-12 season got even tougher, starting 0-2 at home.

-Pritchard has lost confidence in his scoring. He can't even hit open looks anymore. Everything was short last night and you wonder if the long minutes are just getting to his legs.

-The last thought is sort of, well, if something like this HAS to happen, better it happen in a game like this, in a season where we're not an NCAA team anyway.

-Ultimately, despite all this, I do sincerely hope this team can stick together, because I think they can compete when Wooten comes back and I would love if the group sticks together next year with the talent coming in.

Go Ducks.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Pritchard goes 0-6 at home in this game. He just does not click with the teams of the past two years.

Well the epic collapse is making its way through social media right now it looks like. Rough game is going to be hard to forget.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

ehh. we're a garbage team in a garbage conference. embarrassing way to lose a basketball game, but someone above said it perfectly. this game ultimately doesn't matter, we'll need to win 3-4 games in vegas no matter what happened last night.

collapsing against stanford back in september was a gut punch. this was a mild irritant.
ImageImageImageImageImage
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Are people giving up on this team?
Look, we have some good pieces and Altman is a great coach. The only goal should be getting ready for Vegas.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

northbeachsf wrote:Are people giving up on this team?
Look, we have some good pieces and Altman is a great coach. The only goal should be getting ready for Vegas.
This team is struggling to win A GAME. Even when they play well. They couldn't even go undefeated when Bol was on the team.
Would any of these guys even start in Oregon state's team? Even their oregon native looks better than ours right now.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Okay, this isn't a new idea. But, Villanova is the program I think Oregon/Altman should follow. Altman's style of coaching seems more akin to Jay Wright's than of Calipari. The Wildcats have won the championship twice in the last 5 years w/o a 1& done. Their rosters are composed of players similar to the Ducks' Final Four team. Oregon shouldn't say, "Thanks, no thanks" to Cole Anthony if he wants to sign on, but maybe he should be the exception rather than the rule on a team full of 3's and 4's who will stay, learn the system and become better, NBA Draft ready, in the process.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Merganzer wrote:Okay, this isn't a new idea. But, Villanova is the program I think Oregon/Altman should follow. Altman's style of coaching seems more akin to Jay Wright's than of Calipari. The Wildcats have won the championship twice in the last 5 years w/o a 1& done. Their rosters are composed of players similar to the Ducks' Final Four team. Oregon shouldn't say, "Thanks, no thanks" to Cole Anthony if he wants to sign on, but maybe he should be the exception rather than the rule on a team full of 3's and 4's who will stay, learn the system and become better, NBA Draft ready, in the process.
My thoughts exactly. The upside is that type of team is a lot more entertaining to watch. The last couple years I would rather watch the Oregon women's team, they generally demonstrate the teamwork that is lacking the few times I see the men play.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

maxduck wrote:
Merganzer wrote:Okay, this isn't a new idea. But, Villanova is the program I think Oregon/Altman should follow. Altman's style of coaching seems more akin to Jay Wright's than of Calipari. The Wildcats have won the championship twice in the last 5 years w/o a 1& done. Their rosters are composed of players similar to the Ducks' Final Four team. Oregon shouldn't say, "Thanks, no thanks" to Cole Anthony if he wants to sign on, but maybe he should be the exception rather than the rule on a team full of 3's and 4's who will stay, learn the system and become better, NBA Draft ready, in the process.
My thoughts exactly. The upside is that type of team is a lot more entertaining to watch. The last couple years I would rather watch the Oregon women's team, they generally demonstrate the teamwork that is lacking the few times I see the men play.
I have always thought the same. Villinova has put the style on display for all to see.
One and dones are great but you dont always get the cemistry ya need. But like you
say they greate teamwork. Dont get me wrong but i really like king and bol. but they get here
then there gone. You drop down a bit to guys like Richardson and Norris. they gain experience this
year that will help them in the next couple of years etc.