Merganzer
Senior

Re: O-Live story on Softball's Offseason

Post by Merganzer »

pudgejeff wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
maxduck wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
maxduck wrote:I wonder what he thinks was missing?
idk maybe the 100% raise he got
Exactly. Spare us the "trying to keep softball down" BS and admit it is simply because he can get more money.
I agree. "The Jane" is considered to be the finest softball field in the country; that is not "trying to keep softball down". Having regular season runs like Oregon had under White, then consistently fizzling out in the WCWS kept softball down.
Wasn't "The Jane" 100% funded by the Jane Sanders foundation though? I would exactly call that the AD investing. If I remember correctly they put down a big donation originally hoping to get support from the AD and other donors and got none so had to foot the rest of the bill too.

Side note, didn't Uncle Phil donate money directly to OSU for them to keep the Baseball coach? Seems like the Ad could have made a few calls to some donor's (doesn't have to be Phil), to say hey we need some more money to keep Coach White.
Good point about the donations. But, since donations are not unique to, "The Jane", I still call foul on White's statement that, "(Oregon) was always trying to keep softball down".
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

My view on this whole thing...White always seemed arrogant to me, and while his teams did great in the regular season, they fizzled in post season. Simmer down on the arrogance coach. FWIW a friends brother dealt with him on a regular basis and he said white was quite the ahole! He was always gonna leave, as soon as he’d get more$$. Texas threw him a bone and he ran with it. Now he’s trying to get Texas softball in the spotlight and throw shade at Oregon. So with his new team Oregon southeast, they’ll do well in the regular season and not so much in the post season. Good riddance. Let Coach Lombardi do her thing and see where she takes this program
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

duckfan96 wrote:My view on this whole thing...White always seemed arrogant to me, and while his teams did great in the regular season, they fizzled in post season. Simmer down on the arrogance coach. FWIW a friends brother dealt with him on a regular basis and he said white was quite the ahole! He was always gonna leave, as soon as he’d get more$$. Texas threw him a bone and he ran with it. Now he’s trying to get Texas softball in the spotlight and throw shade at Oregon. So with his new team Oregon southeast, they’ll do well in the regular season and not so much in the post season. Good riddance. Let Coach Lombardi do her thing and see where she takes this program

Welp, I hope you are glad that a dominant program only lacking in CWS titles has been reduced to excrement because Mike White happened to be an ahole. Chip was an ahole too, but you know what, if Helf had been anything like Lombardi we'd have lost every player from that 2014 squad that went to the title game. Oregon softball had the talent to do just that this coming season. HAD the talent. Of course, Lombardi knows what she is doing.