LMJ Potential

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonMAX
Three Star Recruit

LMJ Potential

Post by OregonMAX »

So this is a little ridiculous, but I was wondering how good of a shot LMJ may have if he plays here for the next four years (which I think he will because of his size) at breaking the college football career rushing yards record.
The current record holder is Ron Dayne, Wisconsin (1996-99) with 6,397 career rushing yards

LMJ is at over 1,000 yards right now and is projected to get around 1400 by espn (though I think he could possibly get more)

If LaMichael is here for 3 more years and his stats improve after his freshman year, he could, theoretically, have a chance at at least threatening the record.

Although this is a lot of speculation, I thought it was interesting.
"Huard's gonna go back to throw the ball. Sets up, looks, throws towards the corner of the endzone. It is... INTERCEPTED! INTERCEPTED! THE DUCKS HAVE THE BALL! Down to the 35! The 40! KENNY WHEATON'S GONNA SCORE!!! KENNY WHEATON'S GONNA SCORE!!! 20! THE 10! TOUCHDOWN!!! KENNY WHEATON, AN INTERCEPTION!!! THE MOST IMPROBABLE FINISH TO A FOOTBALL GAME!!!"
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Re: LMJ Potential

Post by Pontius »

OregonMAX wrote:So this is a little ridiculous, but I was wondering how good of a shot LMJ may have if he plays here for the next four years (which I think he will because of his size) at breaking the college football career rushing yards record.
The current record holder is Ron Dayne, Wisconsin (1996-99) with 6,397 career rushing yards

LMJ is at over 1,000 yards right now and is projected to get around 1400 by espn (though I think he could possibly get more)

If LaMichael is here for 3 more years and his stats improve after his freshman year, he could, theoretically, have a chance at at least threatening the record.

Unfortunately, because of his size, he probably won't have that opportunity. I will say that he's about as tough as they come at that size. But even if he was bigger, it's very hard for any player to play every game. Maybe the all-time leading rusher in the Pac-10 is within a more reasonable reach. Who knows, though. Maybe he'll never get hurt and in this offense he has what it takes to pile up the yards. It will be fun to see how far he goes.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Remember Dayne did it in a power rush attack, with a fullback taking a lot of the punishment as a lead blocker, as well as carrying the ball 1,220 times in his collegiate career.

His regular season numbers of 6397 are truly impressive... Dayne added 728 in his 4 bowl game appearances.

Dayne wasn't much taller than James, at 5'10", but at 235-245 playing weight, he was definitely a heckuva lot bigger package, Somehow, I can't envision LMJ attaining anything remotely like that weight ;) !

Lofty goals indeed!

Watch out! Quizz might decide to do it first...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Pontius wrote:
OregonMAX wrote:So this is a little ridiculous, but I was wondering how good of a shot LMJ may have if he plays here for the next four years (which I think he will because of his size) at breaking the college football career rushing yards record.

Unfortunately, because of his size, he probably won't have that opportunity. I will say that he's about as tough as they come at that size. But even if he was bigger, it's very hard for any player to play every game. Maybe the all-time leading rusher in the Pac-10 is within a more reasonable reach. Who knows, though. Maybe he'll never get hurt and in this offense he has what it takes to pile up the yards. It will be fun to see how far he goes.
I'm curious what the Pac-10 record is.
toucan0332
One Star Recruit

Post by toucan0332 »

Charles White. 6245
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

toucan0332 wrote:Charles White. 6245

Thanks for the info. I guess it's more of a longshot for LMJ than I had assumed. Oh well, here's hoping he stays healthy enough to challenge that record.
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

Pretty tall order to hit either of those marks. LMJ has the talent and the offensive scheeme to potential challenge those marks, but the potential wear and tear on him makes it doubtful. This system works best with complimentary backs which in reality may reduce the number of carries he has in the future. Having defenses have to heavily respect Masoli helps those numbers.

IMO his future success and numbers will depend upon how efficient DT or whichever QB can efficiently succeed in taking over the reins of the team after Masoli's graduation.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Betcha LMJ would be more than satisfied with 4 Rose Bowl and/or NC Rings...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

If he has 3 1,000 yard rushing season in a row, he will, and should, go to the NFL. Running Backs are on a ticking clock to 30 as soon as they enter the league.