Oregon Baseball finish with a losing record

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Oregon Baseball finish with a losing record

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Oregon baseball ends the season with a 4 game losing streak before the final game of the UCLA series was cancelled. A record of 27-29 and 10-19 in conference play sure feels quite disappointing after they showed a little promise early in the season. The pitching injuries really set back the bullpen and that was by far the weakest part of the team unfortunately. Oregon probably should’ve finished the season with a better record but bad luck with injuries probably was what did then in. Now, the question is, will Horton coach another game at Oregon?
Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Re: Oregon Baseball finish with a losing record

Post by Jesseisabeast »

I know this has been discussed for years now but I think Horton is a great coach with a great mind for the game......aaaaand he’s gone. He only got this year because they were getting thru his contract and pinching pennies and hoped he’d turn it around. Sometimes change is necessary just for the sake of change and now the only question is who do get that can win in a cold weather area with limited home games and the Super Beavers up the road? WSU went and got the Beavs assistant a few years ago and they were 70-135 or something in 4 years.... Attendance has really dropped off. You have Kilkenny watching close. These are pretty big decisions for the AD
ICamel
Two Star Recruit

Post by ICamel »

Jesseisabeast wrote:.......now the only question is who do get that can win in a cold weather area with limited home games and the Super Beavers up the road?
My vote is for Phil Knight to throw a cool million at Pat Casey.
Andrew Checketts at UCSB has had a good run there..........276–176–3 from 2012 to 2019. Played 3 years for Oregon State.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

ICamel wrote:
Jesseisabeast wrote:.......now the only question is who do get that can win in a cold weather area with limited home games and the Super Beavers up the road?
My vote is for Phil Knight to throw a cool million at Pat Casey.
Andrew Checketts at UCSB has had a good run there..........276–176–3 from 2012 to 2019. Played 3 years for Oregon State.
Those both sound good, it would be worth the $ just hearing Beaver Nation if Casey came to Oregon! But PK has to do something. I was surprised when I looked at the last 4 seasons and found out that Horton's record was 3 games above .500, 112-109. It seemed so much worse.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

I've said this before, but it's unfortunate the year played out the way it did. Yovan pitching all of two innings sabotaged the season right out of the gate. Nelson moving to the bullpen meant starting guys in important Pac-12 games that should be mid-week guys, and we were pitching mid-week guys who probably shouldn't be pitching at all.

If this were a one-season blip, I'd argue it was an acceptable/unfortunate injury-plagued year. But coming off of three postseason-less seasons, and now this being the 4th in a row, I just don't think Mullens has much of a choice. He's got to make a change.

2010-14 was a lot of fun. I'll always wonder what would have happened if Cole Irvin and Alex Krook had stayed healthy.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Thurston wrote:I've said this before, but it's unfortunate the year played out the way it did. Yovan pitching all of two innings sabotaged the season right out of the gate. Nelson moving to the bullpen meant starting guys in important Pac-12 games that should be mid-week guys, and we were pitching mid-week guys who probably shouldn't be pitching at all.

If this were a one-season blip, I'd argue it was an acceptable/unfortunate injury-plagued year. But coming off of three postseason-less seasons, and now this being the 4th in a row, I just don't think Mullens has much of a choice. He's got to make a change.

2010-14 was a lot of fun. I'll always wonder what would have happened if Cole Irvin and Alex Krook had stayed healthy.
Absolutely. The worse thing that can happen to a sports team is apathy; it's already applicable to the fans, if it comes from Mullens Oregon baseball is Dead Duck Walking.