LB Funa: 2 yr LDS mission after freshman season?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

LB Funa: 2 yr LDS mission after freshman season?

Post by Merganzer »

DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Re: LB Funa: 2 yr LDS mission after freshman season?

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

I could care less.

;)
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

That’s great! Changed my life and perspective in a very positive way. Hopefully, it does the same for him.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Good for him
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I’m not LDS but I respect the commitment young men have to that religion.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I’m not LDS but I respect the commitment young men have to that religion.
I’m Christian, and I have so much respect for the LDS. I always tell people Christians should/need to be more like Mormons. Their friendliness, compassion, courage, and faith is very admirable.

As for Funa, of course selfishly as a duck fan I’d want him to do that after college, but I know this would be a big event for him, so all Duck fans should be supportive of him.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Neat and all, and fully respect his decision. However, I’m taking a different stance. Most players take their mission prior to attending school. Could this possibly be a wait and see on his part about playing time? Could it be about how USC and Helton shakes out? Could it be that his knee hasn’t healed properly, and he gives it a season to get right with the Oregon trainers, then bolts? Never heard of a player waiting to decide after playing one year. Just seems odd. I’m normally a glass half full dude, but the way players are now playing the transfer portal, I’m a little skeptical.
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

Everythingsducky wrote:Neat and all, and fully respect his decision. However, I’m taking a different stance. Most players take their mission prior to attending school. Could this possibly be a wait and see on his part about playing time? Could it be about how USC and Helton shakes out? Could it be that his knee hasn’t healed properly, and he gives it a season to get right with the Oregon trainers, then bolts? Never heard of a player waiting to decide after playing one year. Just seems odd. I’m normally a glass half full dude, but the way players are now playing the transfer portal, I’m a little skeptical.
I feel like it used to be the norm kids would play a year then go on their mission and come back, maybe the kids don't do it now but it certainly wasn't uncommon. IIRC it was an option for Haloti before he decided against it?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Could be simple parental pressure to go. Not trying to be petty on a prior post but LDS are Christians, one of the four books they study and follow is the King James Version of the Bible. They worship Geez Christ, Christ =CHRISTian
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Everythingsducky wrote:Neat and all, and fully respect his decision. However, I’m taking a different stance. Most players take their mission prior to attending school. Could this possibly be a wait and see on his part about playing time? Could it be about how USC and Helton shakes out? Could it be that his knee hasn’t healed properly, and he gives it a season to get right with the Oregon trainers, then bolts? Never heard of a player waiting to decide after playing one year. Just seems odd. I’m normally a glass half full dude, but the way players are now playing the transfer portal, I’m a little skeptical.
This is a great post, and not at all out of bounds. Taking a mission in the middle of one's college career rather than beforehand is an imposition on the team.

If your theory is true, I would expect him to announce his transfer sometime after he goes on his mission, and then just come back all healed up, either to USC (or some other school) or to the NFL. He wouldn't even have to wait a year to play. Free education and access to the trainers for a year sounds pretty good, if the sucker school is willing to bite.

If Funa told the coaches at Oregon about this possibility beforehand, then it is what it is, and the coaches thought it was worth it. If he is just now springing this on them in response to a question from a reporter, as seems the case, then it is pretty shrewd on his part. If it goes down like that though, it might make schools who have the ability to sign other talent like Oregon think twice about signing Mormon kids who haven't taken their mission in the future.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

If this is true then USC is reaching even new levels of dirty that I didn’t know was possible.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

Hamani Stevens waited. People aren’t robots. Not all LDS people have an easy time deciding if they want to go. He may be torn. He may feel that he could win a starting position and just not go on a mission at all.

To speculate that it has to do with USC without knowing his thought process is really cynical, and possibly bordering on paranoia.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Alan wrote:Could be simple parental pressure to go. Not trying to be petty on a prior post but LDS are Christians, one of the four books they study and follow is the King James Version of the Bible. They worship Geez Christ, Christ =CHRISTian
I’ll politely disagree. Catholics also read the Bible but are not Christians.

However, if just speaking very loosely and looking from a wide scope; Christianity, Catholicism, Mormonism etc are all taught in schools as the same religion but they are very different when looking closer. Ask Ireland lol.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

“Catholics also read the Bible but are not Christians. “

:lol:
Yeah, and Sunnis are not REAL Muslims like this us Shiites.

Call me crazy but I think I’ll trust a Catholic or a Mormon to tell me about who they worship instead of a football message board dude.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Catholics are considered Christians, but not Protestants. The difference lies in forms of worship and interpretation of the Bible.

LDS have additional books that have been added, as does several other Christian 'sects', for lack of a better word.

Getting to an argument over religion on a sports messaging board is silly, at best.

I choose to respect the commitment involved with for young men.

Too many people have no idea what lies behind the topic.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!