Potential 2019-20 roster additions

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

northbeachsf
Freshman

Re: Potential 2019-20 roster additions

Post by northbeachsf »

Phalanx wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:I see where you are going, but let me take the counter argument and tell you why I think this is a great move by Altman.

With the amount of attrition Oregon has every year, I think that Altman is trying to change his recruiting strategy a little bit. Every year it seems that Oregon has around 12 players on the roster that are trying to get on the floor. Altman has always had a short bench, typically using 8-9 man rotations, especially late in the year. Ultimately, they end up with 3-4 kids every year that were highly recruited out of high school that don't see the floor their freshman (and possibly sophomore) seasons and they pull the plug and transfer. This has to be frustrating.

This season Oregon has two sit out transfers. IMO this is awesome for a number of reasons:
1) We picked up two great players with college experience. They both have proven that they can perform at a high level in college. One of them lead his team in both scoring and rebounding.
2) They will burn their redshirts, so it is unlikely that they will transfer again. Altman will get at least 2 full years of production out of them.
3) Altman has said that he likes to have 11 players to run an efficient practice. Now you make that 11 number, but you have 9 eligible for games, so everyone that is eligible is likely getting some decent minutes.
4) The sit out transfers have an entire year to run Altman's system in practice before they get on the floor.
5) This also helps with rebuilding so they don't have another year like 2017-2018.

Ultimately, I think you are going to see more experienced teams, less transfers, and better results with this new strategy.

I think Oregon should take 2 of these type of guys every year if they are available. What is the harm? When was the last time we had more than 9 guys getting decent minutes in a season?
Outstanding post. Point #2 especially stood out to me. I agree, the likelihood of them transferring again is very small. The ability of the two sit-out guys to practice is also a benefit I hadn't considered. My only response to your last point is that if he is going to pick nine guys, it is better if he can do it from a pool of 11 than of 9. It still does affect depth if you have a couple of Cages or Sorkins among your 9 guys.
Completely agree. If you have 2 Cages in that group of 9, you are probably going to have some issues. However, I feel like Lawson is the only one that is maybe questionable when it comes to providing a significant contribution next season. He will be a great player, but I think he is pretty raw still.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

GrantDuck wrote:Thanks GoDucksTroll. Sounds like we are in a better position than we thought a month ago, for sure. Getting a player like him this season would really flip expectations.

Is Patterson all ASU now?
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

northbeachsf wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Thanks GoDucksTroll. Sounds like we are in a better position than we thought a month ago, for sure. Getting a player like him this season would really flip expectations.

Is Patterson all ASU now?
There is a story dated the 11th on 247 Sports saying he has no plans to reclassify. So, even if he is going somewhere else it wouldn't be this recruiting cycle anyway. Which really sucks because we could really use another guard. But if we finish the class with Dante I will be happy. Our front court would be loaded.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Rumor has it N'Faly Dante has silently committed and will announce later this summer once his reclassification is finalized.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
laxattack22
One Star Recruit

Post by laxattack22 »

Just to clarify, do you mean he’s silently committed to the Ducks? Or to the bad guys? Or is exact school currently unknown and the rumor is that he has just silently committed to an unknown school?

Really hoping for the former out of those options though!!
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Silent commit to the Ducks.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

duck541 wrote:Silent commit to the Ducks.
Amazing if true. It would mean that Altman had basically completely retooled after losing half the team.
laxattack22
One Star Recruit

Post by laxattack22 »

Thanks! That would definitely be amazing if it’s true! Crossing my fingers!
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I have a feeling that Dante is headed to UK. The rivals analyst that is almost never wrong (over 90% correct) just put in a prediction for UK.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

northbeachsf wrote:I have a feeling that Dante is headed to UK. The rivals analyst that is almost never wrong (over 90% correct) just put in a prediction for UK.
Probably. Only time we beat them is when Calipari didn't really make Bol a priority. But who knows, his handler may be just looking for the best situation. I swear. Duke and Kentucky don't just recruit blue chips to win championships. They do it to keep them away from other lesser schools. At least that's what it seems like.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

mattc94 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:I have a feeling that Dante is headed to UK. The rivals analyst that is almost never wrong (over 90% correct) just put in a prediction for UK.
Probably. Only time we beat them is when Calipari didn't really make Bol a priority. But who knows, his handler may be just looking for the best situation. I swear. Duke and Kentucky don't just recruit blue chips to win championships. They do it to keep them away from other lesser schools. At least that's what it seems like.
That is unfortunate for the lesser schools; but a winning strategy so far for Duke & KY.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Interesting that 247 indicates that Dante is all Duck, while Rivals indicates he is Kentucky's to lose.
Someone has to be right, maybe?
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

I heard he was all Ducks a week ago and it's only getting louder

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

McCoy and Murray were pretty “loud” over on 247 too, in fact they were stone cold locks. I know they have inside football information over there, but the basketball information seems like pure guess work.
Here is an update from yesterday. This guy says Oregon as well.

https://distinctathlete.com/2019/08/01/ ... s-the-end/
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

I don't frequent 247 other than to see player/team rankings, or any other board for that matter. Hearing this from someone close to the team.