Living in the Cascade range vs Coastal range?

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

FutureDuck
High School Drop Out

Living in the Cascade range vs Coastal range?

Post by FutureDuck »

I am going to move to OR in the next few years and really need your advice. I definitely want to live on the west side of the Cascade range and would like a mountain home but i don't know the differences in living in these two ranges. I have visited Eugene, Florence, Portland, Cascade locks, Sand Lake, Hood River, and Cannon Beach but it was summer every time I came so I didn't experience the rain. I really love your state.

Thanks in advance
FD
Alan
Senior

Re: Living in the Cascade range vs Coastal range?

Post by Alan »

Cascade range the passes are approximately 4000 feet, coast range the passes are approximately 1500 feet. Depending were you live on the cascade range lots more snow. Coast range gives you easy acces to both the cities of the valley and the enjoyment of the coast.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

I love the coast had great trips there except when playing basketball there. I tend
to gravitate to central Oregon. In fact in a couple of years when i retire that may be
a destination for me. Even in the winter the sun is out alot. On this side of the cascades its
gray 6 monthes out of the year.

I love it here in the Eug/Spfld area. Been here for 62 years. I tho love the access to high lakes
and streams in central Oregon. The hiking is second to none. Mornings are amazing and sunsets make
great pictures. Thats just me. Plenty of great places here to.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I prefer the Willamette Valley to the coast for two reasons: bigger towns and better weather. The coast's towns top out at no more than 20,000 people, which is too small for my taste. It's also quite windy over there, which makes things too cold for my liking. It's beautiful, and I can see the appeal for some people, but for me the coast is a place where I want to visit, don't want to stay.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

So a town like Mill City on the West side of the Cascades is still going to get a lot of rain, but once you starting going further south down the Cascades to a place like Glide you won't be getting as much of it year round.

The Coastal range is more like the butt bone of the Olympics and there isn't really much there elevation wise. It does get snow but not much but you can find some nice properties in the small river valleys.

Most of the Californians that are moving up the coast are simply buying lots and building new, gaudy homes.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

It depends on how close you want civilization to be and what your budget is.

Outside of say Detroit or even on Detroit lake would be beautiful. Somewhere a little west of Gaston or turner could be nice in the coastal range.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Or if you want higher elevation I’d suggest near welches.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I just rolled in from spending a week in the coast range near Grand Ronde. I may move to that area some day, it is so beautiful. Summer weather doesn't last long - you have to get used to cold, windy, rainy winters. It isn't for everyone. It's a gardener's paradise though, and trips to the coastal towns, which I love more than some others here evidently, are only 45 minutes away, so easy to make a day trip and still come back and sleep in your own bed.