Portland Trail Blazers 2019/20 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2019/20 Thread

Post by Duck07 »

Honestly, this is the season for Portland to make a move to get under the tax threshold if possible to get away from the repeater penalties. The team is not owned by Paul Allen anymore and the Corporate Trustee is not going to allow the Blazers financials to get out of hand unless there is a buyer in the works who has a personal interest (as opposed to buying a team for a write-off). I don't see a big trade actually happening unless it also gets under the tax and I don't know of any options that do that (only increase the tax)

I think a big reason why Melo was brought on besides injuries was to let Dame and CJ have someone they want to play with as fan-boys during a season in which they need to miss the playoffs and hope you can hit a lottery pick. Let the young players in Simons, Little and Skal continue to play in the hopes that next year everyone is healthy. (Hood is almost assuredly signing his player option now)
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Does it occur to anyone else, the last time the Blazers were relevant was when the had names like Drexler and Duckworth on the roster? This is honestly one of the saddest franchises in history.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

QuackininBama wrote:Does it occur to anyone else, the last time the Blazers were relevant was when the had names like Drexler and Duckworth on the roster? This is honestly one of the saddest franchises in history.
I disagree. The Blazers were probably the best team in the league when they had Sabonis, Sheed, Pippen, Grant, Bonzi, Steve Smith, etc. They should have won that series in 2000 vs. the Lakers - the refs made sure to foul Sabonis out early so that there was nobody to guard Shaq.

I think there has been potential in other years, but some really bad luck with injuries and lately some incredibly bad cap management have really led to the Blazers being one of the most frustrating franchises in sports.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

QuackininBama wrote:Does it occur to anyone else, the last time the Blazers were relevant was when the had names like Drexler and Duckworth on the roster? This is honestly one of the saddest franchises in history.
I don’t think you understand what relevant means. I’m not a Blazer fan, or really that big into the NBA, but to say a team that makes the conference finals is irrelevant is ridiculous. If you want to see irrelevant in recent memory you should look at franchises like the Kings, Suns, Hornets, etc.
Last edited by droop10 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Post by Blazers-1977 »

Um what the Blazers were certainly relevant last season and most certainly in 2000.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Lillard is incredible
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Blazers got absolutely hosed on that goaltend call. Should have been an easy and-one call.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

greenyellow wrote:Blazers got absolutely hosed on that goaltend call. Should have been an easy and-one call.
Absolutely robbed. It wasn't even a case of whether the shot was going up or coming down, the ball clearly made contact with the glass before Goubert swatted it away. But it couldn't be reviewed because no call was made to review. Of course after the game the ref's admitted they blew it.

The missed call https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIa-BTwsCUU

Everybody saw it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0X-y5Et6F4
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I'm probably the only one, but I feel like Lillard and McCollum came off a little whiny in their post-game comments. Yeah, it was a bad call at a really bad point in the game that they *might* have won if it was called correctly. You've never experienced a bad call before? And then to say 'We're in a playoff race', and 'They cost us money', etc. Dude, you're 24-28 going into the game. You're both on max contracts that have sucked up so much cap space, you are literally paying other teams to take your frontcourt players on a team that has no frontcourt depth just so you can reduce salary. You are costing you money, not the refs.

I agree with Stotts - the refs should have called goaltend so that they could review it. So it does seem fishy that they were unwilling to do so, and I can understand players getting mad about that. Just don't act like that one non-call is the reason why you aren't making the playoffs, when a much clearer reason is your own greed.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote:I'm probably the only one, but I feel like Lillard and McCollum came off a little whiny in their post-game comments. Yeah, it was a bad call at a really bad point in the game that they *might* have won if it was called correctly. You've never experienced a bad call before? And then to say 'We're in a playoff race', and 'They cost us money', etc. Dude, you're 24-28 going into the game. You're both on max contracts that have sucked up so much cap space, you are literally paying other teams to take your frontcourt players on a team that has no frontcourt depth just so you can reduce salary. You are costing you money, not the refs.

I agree with Stotts - the refs should have called goaltend so that they could review it. So it does seem fishy that they were unwilling to do so, and I can understand players getting mad about that. Just don't act like that one non-call is the reason why you aren't making the playoffs, when a much clearer reason is your own greed.
I think the Simons undercut followed by the attempt at Ariza soon after is what really had them hot throughout the game.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote:
Phalanx wrote:I'm probably the only one, but I feel like Lillard and McCollum came off a little whiny in their post-game comments. Yeah, it was a bad call at a really bad point in the game that they *might* have won if it was called correctly. You've never experienced a bad call before? And then to say 'We're in a playoff race', and 'They cost us money', etc. Dude, you're 24-28 going into the game. You're both on max contracts that have sucked up so much cap space, you are literally paying other teams to take your frontcourt players on a team that has no frontcourt depth just so you can reduce salary. You are costing you money, not the refs.

I think the Simons undercut followed by the attempt at Ariza soon after is what really had them hot throughout the game.
Yeah, I agree, but I don't think it has anything to do with the post-game comments I cited that I found overly whiny. I didn't see the attempt at Ariza you mentioned, but I think the trip on Simons was outrageous. Straight out of John Stockton's playbook.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

The Ariza camera angle doesn't show it very well, and it wasn't as obviously bad as the Simons "sweep the leg" move but because it was right afterwards and I think by the same player is what had him incensed.

I don't mind Dame being upset and calling it out because thats an abnormal reaction for Damian. I hate seeing LeBron whine 47 times a game because he's constantly whining. I think that is also what makes it stand out so much is because Damian is ice-cold emotionally so often that for him to freak out over a call shows how egregious it is. I just hope Dame starts to get more calls when he's shooting because it should have been and And-1 bucket
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07 wrote:The Ariza camera angle doesn't show it very well, and it wasn't as obviously bad as the Simons "sweep the leg" move but because it was right afterwards and I think by the same player is what had him incensed.

I don't mind Dame being upset and calling it out because thats an abnormal reaction for Damian. I hate seeing LeBron whine 47 times a game because he's constantly whining. I think that is also what makes it stand out so much is because Damian is ice-cold emotionally so often that for him to freak out over a call shows how egregious it is. I just hope Dame starts to get more calls when he's shooting because it should have been and And-1 bucket
That is the take away. The Ref's know that Goubert is one of the top defensive payers, they know the call can't be reviewed if it isn't made, and that Lillard isn't STAR enough to offset those.
The Blazers have won 6 out of their last 9, , Lillard has averaged 42.4 during the run, and this happens. The last thing I wanted to see was another player mumble about how they can't say anything because he's worried about being fined. It was the 2nd of a back to back, the non call was the last in a series of sh-t and Dame & CJ responded unfiltered.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote:The Ariza camera angle doesn't show it very well, and it wasn't as obviously bad as the Simons "sweep the leg" move but because it was right afterwards and I think by the same player is what had him incensed.

Did you watch tonight's game? The Lillard whine-fest continues, even though he was getting some pretty favorable calls at home. Good win by the Blazers. The fact that they have to give minutes to Caleb Swanigan, who is really terrible, while still winning is impressive. One feels like this could be a playoff team with Anthony and Ariza if only they could get healthy. Simons was getting a lot of pre-season hype, but Gary Trent is really shooting well right now, and made a great sixth man tonight.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »