USC Mulls Exiting the Pac 12

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

USC Mulls Exiting the Pac 12

Post by Phalanx »

There's a lot being written about USC doing something to shake up the routing of falling further and further behind in recruiting, revenue, and results. I'm curious what other Oregon fans think about this. One of the more common scenarios being propounded is that USC get a greater share of the revenue, like the deal Texas got in the Big 12. Do they deserve a greater piece of the pie?

Here is an article from the USC fan site that demonstrates the attitude coming from down south:

https://wearesc.com/musings-from-arledg ... -trojexit/
Duck07
All-American

Re: USC Mulls Exiting the Pac 12

Post by Duck07 »

University of Spoiled Children
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

I hope the door doesn't hit them on the way out. Unequal revenue sharing would be the end of the Pac-12, 3 or 4 schools can barely compete as it is.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

We need to morph with the Big 12.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

Dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.. Plus the Hubris that where they lead the other cali schools would follow.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I was interested in the comments from USC fans about this. I'm not sure they realize that the decline of the conference is in very large part due to their own decline. Some are still going on about the '11 dwarves' despite the fact that they have only won the conference once in the last decade. It feels like if USC was as good as they think they are, especially in their non-conference schedule, the PAC 12 wouldn't be having a lot of these issues.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

If USC asks for more money Oregon better ask for 30% more than SC. Arguably Oregon is the most valuable sports school to the conference.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Let them go! Our schedule suddenly has 8 conference games again. We've owned them for years now in all sports so who gives a crap what U$C does? Call their bluff, if they leave, good riddance!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

maxduck wrote:I hope the door doesn't hit them on the way out. Unequal revenue sharing would be the end of the Pac-12, 3 or 4 schools can barely compete as it is.
No, letting Larry Scott run this $hit into the ground will end of the Pac-12.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Oregon is without a doubt a more valuable sports property. The TV ratings speak for themselves.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Scenario: USC leaves resulting in Larry Scott getting fired. New commissioner comes in and renegotiates TV contracts since SC left and the current contracts are no longer valid. Pac-11 ends up with richest TV contract in CFB. SC can't schedule enough games and is forced to join Mountain West. SC fades into obscurity.

:lol: I can dream, right?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:Scenario: USC leaves resulting in Larry Scott getting fired. New commissioner comes in and renegotiates TV contracts since SC left and the current contracts are no longer valid. Pac-11 ends up with richest TV contract in CFB. SC can't schedule enough games and is forced to join Mountain West. SC fades into obscurity.

<3

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

USC is an elite football coach away from being a power again. Bring in an Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, or maybe even Chris Petersen, and they'll start keeping recruits at home.

They just need to make a splash hire and pull themselves out of mediocrity.
John 3:36
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

SuperDuck wrote:USC is an elite football coach away from being a power again. Bring in an Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, or maybe even Chris Petersen, and they'll start keeping recruits at home.

They just need to make a splash hire and pull themselves out of mediocrity.
That's been the narrative since Pete Carroll left 11 years ago. Current recruits were 4 years old the last time USC was elite.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:Scenario: USC leaves resulting in Larry Scott getting fired. New commissioner comes in and renegotiates TV contracts since SC left and the current contracts are no longer valid. Pac-11 ends up with richest TV contract in CFB. SC can't schedule enough games and is forced to join Mountain West. SC fades into obscurity.

I wish this were true. USC is so hated around the country that a better tv deal would net them a lot of air time.