PAC-12 IS BACK!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: The Pac-12 Needs to Revote on Playing This Fall... ASAP

Post by greenyellow »

Players and coaches are now together to say they want to play/coach.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

What a dumpster fire. Then there's the whole mess of do they give those that decided to declare for the NFL a forgiveness option to opt back in for the season? Lots to figure out here.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

#1. I'm just excited that we might actually get to see our Ducks play

Far less important, is a lot of us message board warriors called this crap-show months ago.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Another great piece by Wilner with some interesting scenarios.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/09/16/ ... this-fall/
Willie Taggart is a dick.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I honestly think, the players will be safer under the iron hand of the athletic department than running loose in the general population.

Frankly, keeping all college students confined in campuses is probably safer for the entire population as a whole.

I am glad to see in Big 10, that positive tested players will be cardio monitored after initial recovery, this is a protection they wouldn't have at home.

(I have audited this post for fan bias and find that I would agree with it even if I wasn't a rabid football fan. Thoughts expressed here are certified as awesome by the author.)
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I honestly think, the players will be safer under the iron hand of the athletic department than running loose in the general population.
The more tests we do on a regular basis, the safer EVERYONE is. Yes, the players will clearly be safer in athletic/team settings in which everyone around them has just received a highly accurate (and negative!) COVID test result. But the bigger thing that many who oppose restarting the season will miss is that EVERYONE is safer with student athletes being tested.

Case in point:

Joe Smith plays backup LB for the Ducks and decides to go to a midweek party with friends -- and he catches COVID at the party. Now, keep in mind, people who catch COVID aren't immediately contagious -- the virus needs to build up to a certain point in their bodies first. So, two days later, Joe Smith shows up at practice for his daily test, and, BOOM, he tests positive!

Not only does Joe Smith sit out and protect all of the other Duck players, but now he can call his friends and tell them someone at the party likely gave him COVID. Those friends will then have the opportunity to quarantine and avoid spreading it to others -- and they can inform everyone at the party that someone had COVID and others can quarantine, as well.

More testing is better for everyone, period, full stop. And, as you can see in the above example, testing student athletes will literally make other people safer regardless of football.

It's testing that matters -- not football.

If playing football leads to more testing, then EVERYONE should be advocating for playing football.
Weston
Three Star Recruit

Post by Weston »

Now that the Big Ten has re-instituted their season, there's pressure building (even more) for the PAC 12 to do the same. If the PAC does have a season starting in October, will those players who've opted to enter the NFL draft (Penei, Deommodore, Thomas Graham) still be eligible to play?
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Opting back in?

Post by rsbgduck »

They brought up an interesting subject on CFL today? If a player in the B-10 and PAC-12 (if they play) has opted out because of the info they had at the time, should the NCAA make an exception to those who have even if they have hired an agent?

I’m one of those sticklers about guys opting out early, I also see it as a case by case question. Any who’s, when a decision has been made without the input of the persons involved they should not be punished for decisions they made after to opt out.

LET’em PLAY!!
GO DUCKS !!!!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

State seems willing to grant UO and OSU exemptions but now they're waiting on the Pac-12 to give them written guidelines for review.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Opting back in?

Post by pezsez1 »

I was under the impression that "declaring" they're going pro is pretty pointless and that what really matters is whether they hire an agent or officially enter the draft.

That said, I have no clue where our players stand in the process if this is true.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Again, could Larry Scott please be fired already?

I find it inexcusable that the conference has had its rapid testing agreement in place for at least a week and NOBODY wrote up a safety plan that could be handed over to the governor's office? What are they waiting for??? What else are they doing with their time? Vote or not, the conference HQ should be doing everything in its power to keep football and other sports in the position to be played.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

pezsez1 wrote:Again, could Larry Scott please be fired already?

I find it inexcusable that the conference has had its rapid testing agreement in place for at least a week and NOBODY wrote up a safety plan that could be handed over to the governor's office? What are they waiting for??? What else are they doing with their time? Vote or not, the conference HQ should be doing everything in its power to keep football and other sports in the position to be played.
LS needs to be replaced with someone who wants to EARN his paycheck...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

I brought this up in the other thread running about re-starting Pac-12 football. I know Penei hired one but I would think that anyone who did so was under the impression the conference shut down their ability to play, resulting in their personal decision. Therefore, to me, there should be some temp approval to allow them to return to play, given it was not THEIR initial decision that caused them to consequently move on from this year. It's an odd circumstance but any kid, no matter the team, that declared their intent to go pro and hired an agent, if their respective team or conference had cancelled the season prematurely, should be given a one-time forgiveness. LET THEM PLAY!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

They won't return if all the other conferences compete for a playoff, and we don't. Just my 2 cents.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13