PAC-12 IS BACK!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: The Pac-12 Needs to Revote on Playing This Fall... ASAP

Post by pezsez1 »

Going to take this moment to agree in spirit with Phalanx, with the clarification that the governor probably couldn't have granted an exemption that wasn't requested until yesterday. This is a failure by the Pac-12, not the governors' offices -- they've already granted plenty of sports-related exemptions and all indications are that they were completely willing to play ball with the Pac-12. But yes, this is all about optics, politics, etc., otherwise this mad dash would have started 2 weeks ago when the daily tests were approved.

BTW, fully agree with this:

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_ ... ducks.html

Larry Scott should be fired. His failure to act once the Pac-12 secured daily rapid testing might have literally run out the clock on Oregon's chance at the national championship.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
nogerO
Senior

Re: Opting back in?

Post by nogerO »

I don’t see why they wouldn’t. They shouldn’t be held to a decision made on bad information.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

I was listening to Pac12 Today on the radio last night and they were saying that the new studies are showing that the issue with the swelling of the heart had been shown to not be an issue. They said that the new studies are showing that the incident rate isn't any higher with covid than it is without. I can't find anything online that supports this though. Anyone else hear this?
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
huckthefuskies
Three Star Recruit

Post by huckthefuskies »

This whole thing just makes me shake my head. Just waiting for the school to come out and say it is for the safety of the athletes because they can create a safe bubble all while keeping all the non revenue sports canceled.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

maxduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Well the governors said we can play, so only now we should play!

And the governors are really only saying yes because the rest of the college football world said it's OK to play, so now the governors said it's OK to play!

Principles in this world are basically lost. Not even trying to say yay or nay to a certain governor. More just a general society issue. One second, players are locking out and demanding reform. Now they are begging to play.

Crazy world... Crazy 2020...
Maybe they got additional information, such as the what happened at other schools which have football. Maybe the new testing methods reduce the risk. I realize now it is a alien idea to get the latest data and reevaluate your position. They used to call it being an mature adult.
This is true, but I also believe we also don’t want to be the only ones left out, if everyone else plays.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

ncduck wrote:
ncduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Would only imagine they do it if they playoff is back on play somehow.
Right, and for that to happen, we'd have to start playing in October, and that's looking SLIM.

I doubt teams would want to wait into February to play the playoffs. And if Oregon doesn't start until November, that's what will happen.
Zero chance the PAC12 p[lays in October. The daily testing won't be up and running until mid-November. Once it's happening, they can start practices. The conference has been telling us it's late November at the earliest. Sorry folks.
I spoke too soon. Big good news coming. Hold on tight.
This is promising

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

This isn't about the governors at all. This is purely a failure of the Pac-12. The governors of CA and OR have had no problems allowing leagues to play once testing is in place, and Gov. Brown's office has gone on record saying they'd act to keep our collegiate teams from being competitively disadvantaged.

This is purely a failure of Larry Scott to act with any kind of urgency once the daily testing agreement was reached two weeks ago. Everything happening now should have happened then, and we should be looking at a mid-Oct. return, not Halloween or early Nov. Instead, Larry Scott waited around for the Big 10 and didn't bother doing any legwork in the meantime.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

The games can be played relatively safely with rapid testing. The true measure of seriousness and hypocrisy will be in how they handle the issue of in person fans.

The other issue of whether football is a semi-pro fund raising device separate from academics will be proven by allowing them to play with health measures unavailable to the general student population during a pandemic. I for one am all for acknowledging this and ending this charade. Lets be honest about what big-time college football and basketball is. I'll still enjoy it for what it is.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

If I were leading the Pac-12, I'd have schools bringing back athletes NOW to start practicing.

With five weeks of practice, we could be playing by Oct. 23. That's enough time.

It's clear at this point that all green lights will be given. I bet all county hurdles are cleared today or tomorrow. Stop pussyfooting around and get things moving.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

FYI, players were already slated to come back in this weekend.

There will probably be a 1 week quarantine and then practice starting the 27th or 28th of September.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

ducks5ever wrote:What a joke, the PAC-12 manages to make a fool out of itself once again. The initial decision may or may not have been right. However, literally nothing has changed since August and if anything covid may get worse as we head into the fall/winter (maybe we'll be the only conference to cancel twice?). The only thing that has changed since August is the rapid-test thing which is still a fairly new concept, but it's not like the Pac-12 schools didn't have testing capacity before August...
Well nothing has changed except for the fact that the NBA spent a ton of money to come up with a test that is cost effective, so that you can test a complete football team for under $1000. That’s a whole lot of nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:The games can be played relatively safely with rapid testing. The true measure of seriousness and hypocrisy will be in how they handle the issue of in person fans.

The other issue of whether football is a semi-pro fund raising device separate from academics will be proven by allowing them to play with health measures unavailable to the general student population during a pandemic. I for one am all for acknowledging this and ending this charade. Lets be honest about what big-time college football and basketball is. I'll still enjoy it for what it is.
If you say that college football/sports are "for profit", then you essentially ruin all other college sports.

Think of it this way, technically: engineers, developers, analysts, admins etc don't technically make money for Corporation A. The salesman and production team make the tangible product and sell the tangible product.
Football makes the money, to help support the other sports that make up Oregon Athletics. If we in turn say that the players can earn profit sharing, one of two things will happen. The schools will make sure to invest and support the other sports so that there is no profit to share. Or, the school will cut all other sports and spend far less on things like facilities, food etc because the players are now being paid.

The players already get a monthly stipend above what the typical college student gets, in addition to the facilities, food, clothing etc. Coaches are paid too much and facilities are arguably too nice, but we can't just pivot and change the structure of college football and college sports and not see dramatic effects.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

duckduckgoose wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:What a joke, the PAC-12 manages to make a fool out of itself once again. The initial decision may or may not have been right. However, literally nothing has changed since August and if anything covid may get worse as we head into the fall/winter (maybe we'll be the only conference to cancel twice?). The only thing that has changed since August is the rapid-test thing which is still a fairly new concept, but it's not like the Pac-12 schools didn't have testing capacity before August...
Well nothing has changed except for the fact that the NBA spent a ton of money to come up with a test that is cost effective, so that you can test a complete football team for under $1000. That’s a whole lot of nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's a good advancement for sure but life is about making do with what you have, not waiting for the stars to align. The existing testing capabilities would have gotten the job done - just like it has for the rest of the country. I do agree with the posters above that if this really was the deciding point, the Pac should have moved earlier. The fact that they didn't makes the Pac-12 look incredibly foolish because it again looks like they're just doing whatever the Big 10 does.... except worse
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

Trick or treat
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

ncduck wrote:Trick or treat
:D 8-)