Good enough

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Good enough

Post by Quietduck »

I think I'm glad that we have this year to work with. Is my heart ringing with joy over our play, no, but I do see potential in this team for next year. What we are doing now to me is learning to be a team and that we are not yet what we could be. The offensive line learned some lessons today and the defense is not yet what it should be but given how young we are and what we lost I'll take it this year if we just continue this course and grow and learn to win games.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Re: Good enough

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Probably one of the most frustrating things today from the team is, we got 4 turnovers and yet was only able to manage to win by 3 points. That screams all kind of issues on both sides. Oregon was lucky against Stanford to win, they were even more lucky today to win. UCLA dominated both sides of the ball and it would be the one winning the game by 3 scores if they eliminate the turnovers. That fact alone should get the attention of the coaches and the players. We have heard the coach speak from the coaches but are not seeing it result in anything. Maybe the players just do not feel like that they have anything to play for.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Possibly but I just think they are young and still learning. They show sparks of greatness along with foolishness. I was shocked to learn just how much of our team is lower classmen. At a certain point, luck can be revealed as a skill. If someone wins 10 hands of poker out of 13 they may be getting lucky but more likely they know the odds of luck and are using the skill. Maybe not great skill yet but it's likely to be there.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I’m seeing a lot of fretting from the fan base. Rightfully so, looked like crap today. The other two games had the silver linings of dominant second halves, great OL play, and ridiculously efficient offensive stats. Turnovers and defensive lapses were the worries. But today the following sucked: OL for the first time, defense in almost every facet. The box score is truly all around ugly. And for a cherry on top the incredible Noah Sewell is done for the year.

We’ll get to find out if the team we saw today is the real version. The coaches have got to be pissed. Better in the turnover battle and got their own points on defense, but CJ gifted them 7 points and a huge momentum swing. The defense still can’t tackle.

The OL play was so bad today. The other things we knew about, but this is new. No push in the run game kills this offense. Let Shough be under pressure all day. He could have avoided some of those drive killing sacks with faster releases or throwaways, but he also made plenty of plays with pressure and the OL gets most of the blame.

You can’t punt six times with this defense. The lack of consistent run plays, some dropped passes, one or two really bad throws is all it takes when it’s combined. They need to figure out a game plan for Oregon State, who looked okay against Washington and managed to beat Cal today with a one dimensional offense. If they can’t stop Oregon State’s run game then this could be bad.

I’m not throwing in the towel quite yet. Some new bright spots today: Devon Williams and Hunter Kampmoyer on offense. More good plays than bad ones and big improvements from Mase Funa and Jordan Happle. There is still potential in this team.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Last night was the first time in 2 years where I felt like we got pushed around. We got out muscled and our schemed when on defense. Sewell's injury scares me as I was not impressed with his backup in weeks 1-2. KT seems out of position. Is he an edge rusher or is he a guy who drops in coverage?

first place to start is the OL. They have to be better. Something was off and I don't think it was quality of players.
Defense has to be better. While they forced turnovers, they were bullied. That is new.

The other good news is we get players back next weekend. I believe Pittman will be back. I also believe Stephens will be back at S and Pickett will play all game. Those two, albeit, small additions, add players that know the play calls.

Lastly, I thought Jamal Hill was better yesterday. He nearly had a pick 6 that would have ended the game. Happle also looked ok.

Lots of stuff to clean up on both sides of the ball.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

We faced a very complex heavy blitz scheme with a brand new Offensive line and held up well enough. This team reloaded and his some real talent out wide. Give this line a year under its belt and I see at least one all-american coming out of them.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Is it possible the defense is just lacking motivation? It almost feels like a lot of them are just going through the motions and playing with no sense of urgency. Is it because they constantly hear that even if they win out they won’t make the playoffs? Not sure if it seems like a possible motivation issue to anyone else, just seems like there were multiple plays where guys weren’t paying attention and were out of position.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

I’m reminding myself that football is all about momentum. We had several chances to go up by 17 in the late 3rd/early 4th quarter that would have drastically changed the feel of the game. When UCLA was pressing, they looked bad. When they got us on our heels, we stayed there. Finish one of those drives while we were up 10 and we win comfortably.

We know these coaches can coach, and we know we have talent. I’m still 99% sure Moorehead is a major upgrade at OC. We are young and very raw. That breeds inconsistency.

Remember 2009? Lost to a solid Boise team, escaped against a bad Purdue team, snuck by Utah, and then BOOM. We destroyed a highly ranked Cal team and a new era was born.

I want to see us wipe the floor with one or two teams this year so we get a hint of what’s to come when these kids grow up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is the scoreboard when the clock goes to 0:00, so yes good enough. And remember there are no pictures on the scorecard!
Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Post by Jesseisabeast »

You lose 25 seniors, the entire OL, your 2-3 best defenders...your 4 year quarterback.....it’s a rebuilding year. Doesn’t matter what the idiot media says. As of today we’re a little behind the huskies. Guess we’ll see when we get there. If we win the league during a rebuilding year that’s pretty awesome
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Jesseisabeast wrote:You lose 25 seniors, the entire OL, your 2-3 best defenders...your 4 year quarterback.....it’s a rebuilding year. Doesn’t matter what the idiot media says. As of today we’re a little behind the huskies. Guess we’ll see when we get there. If we win the league during a rebuilding year that’s pretty awesome
I like this post. I don't know if I agree, but I like the optimism. I think that if the ducks' recruiting over the past several years was half as good as everyone has been saying, there wouldn't be such a drop off. So that worries me: in the back of my mind I wonder if the team isn't full of overrated prima donnas who can't find their motivation. I also admit to having Pellum flashbacks watching them tackle. Watching the Huskies play defense was really a revelation. The energy, the confidence, and the anticipation - the duck defense is not playing with any of that. Still, it might be because they are young, because several of the guys that were supposed to be leaders this year decided to take a powder instead. A top program shouldn't have 'rebuilding years', but maybe that's what this is.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

This team is crazy young. Rose Bowl is the ceiling, but if they stumble a few games I wont be shocked.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I personally am tired of the “we’re young” excuse. First, teams like Bama and Clemson laugh at that. I know we’re not to their level yet but Mario has been recruiting off the charts for Oregon. After he loses players before he took over, it should be time for his top recruiting classes to shine and it’s not happening. Second, a lot of the time it’s veterans making poor plays and it looks like multiple players regressed from last year (Scott, KT, Matthis, Funa, Pickett, just to name a few). When I hear fans say “this team is young” it reminds of of when Sarkisian was coaching Washington and every loss during his career their he talked about young his team is. Being young is not an excuse anymore in college football. I think that’s just a cop out and there’s something else going on, whether it’s some of the guys stopped working out cause they thought there’d be no season or if the weird season is simply causing them to lack motivation, we will probably never know but it’s not simply “Oregon is young”.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

With more and more highly rated recruits who are three-and-done or transfer when they don't pan out, being young should be expected as a new normal.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

I see 3-0, what do you see? Ws are all that matter.