Thoughts on next DC

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

jimmy12
Senior

Re: Thoughts on next DC

Post by jimmy12 »

lmduck wrote:
jimmy12 wrote:Would you be happy with Arnett?
Doesn't matter. They have moved on from him. Word is he came in very unprepared for the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I thought I read he came in to the LSU interview unprepared, but I must be mistaken. Do you have any insight into she shortlist?
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

jimmy12 wrote:
lmduck wrote:
Doesn't matter. They have moved on from him. Word is he came in very unprepared for the interview.

Interesting. I thought I read he came in to the LSU interview unprepared, but I must be mistaken. Do you have any insight into she shortlist?
From what people have said on here, it sounds like he's been unprepared for all 3 and doesn't seem actually interested.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

pudgejeff wrote:
jimmy12 wrote:
lmduck wrote:

From what people have said on here, it sounds like he's been unprepared for all 3 and doesn't seem actually interested.
The conventional wisdom seems to be he is using the interviews for a pay increase at his current job.

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

lmduck wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
jimmy12 wrote:
lmduck wrote:

The conventional wisdom seems to be he is using the interviews for a pay increase at his current job.

Being unimpressive seems like an odd way to do that haha
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

pudgejeff wrote:
lmduck wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
jimmy12 wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Being unimpressive seems like an odd way to do that haha
Agree. It's very odd.

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

TBH this is the only place I’ve seen it reported that his interviews had been unimpressive.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ jhop reported that also
Last edited by lukeyrid13 on Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^ shop reported that also
I think I saw an LSU site that said something similar.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Based on JHop's latest podcast, it sounds like Oregon won't be making a hire for another 2-3 weeks as they're still at around 10-12 candidates.

Here's who Bruce Feldman is hearing are some of that final group (although we can already eliminate one of the names):
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

I believe in judge not lest ye be judged, but does Lupoi strike anyone else as kind of a bad culture fit? I know he had to be the one to take the fall for Tedford’s “gamesmanship” in 2010 but from what I remember about him he just kind of strikes me as a bit on the slippery side. I realize college football recruiting isn’t for choirboys, and we haven’t had the purest history with one Willie Lyles and Coach Campbell/JJ Arrington but still.

There’s also the concern that the greatest college football coach in modern history was so disgusted with his play-calling abilities he stripped him of those duties mid-season.

I just am not sold on that guy.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

bdkipe wrote:I believe in judge not lest ye be judged, but does Lupoi strike anyone else as kind of a bad culture fit? I know he had to be the one to take the fall for Tedford’s “gamesmanship” in 2010 but from what I remember about him he just kind of strikes me as a bit on the slippery side. I realize college football recruiting isn’t for choirboys, and we haven’t had the purest history with one Willie Lyles and Coach Campbell/JJ Arrington but still.

There’s also the concern that the greatest college football coach in modern history was so disgusted with his play-calling abilities he stripped him of those duties mid-season.

I just am not sold on that guy.
Personally, I’m hoping for someone with a more consistently successful trajectory. With that said, we don’t know what or if he learned some big lessons after losing the play calling responsibility. Perhaps he has grown a lot since then. I don’t want him to be the guy, and would have concerns if he’s picked. I would try to keep an open mind until he proves he’s Hoke.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:Based on JHop's latest podcast, it sounds like Oregon won't be making a hire for another 2-3 weeks as they're still at around 10-12 candidates.

Here's who Bruce Feldman is hearing are some of that final group (although we can already eliminate one of the names):
To be fair, if most commits are gonna stick with us regardless of who DC is, no reason to rush a decision.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Interesting list, hasn’t heard of some of those guys before.

Clint Hurtt: specialty is DL and OLBs. Miami grad. Huge red flag: received a show cause penalty for giving benefits to recruits and lying about it. At least Tosh got out unscathed, Hurtt got caught. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... t/3149781/

Glenn Schumann is a name that has been floating around for a while. Rising star, 31 years old, went to Bama to not play football but to work for Saban, loved by everyone, would be a great hire but I wonder if we can even get him.

Derrick Ansley: Jeremy Pruitt just hired Kevin Steele, to buy himself more time. Ainsley is an impressive candidate. Former DB coach at Alabama and then spent one year with the Raiders in the same job. Drastically improved UTK’s defense in 2019 and known as a recruiting powerhouse.

Nate Woody: first year at Army and they had a great defense but it seems like they always do. One year as DC at GA Tech, five at App State, and 13 years as DC at his alma mater Wofford. That’s gonna be a no from me.

Who is everyone preferring at the moment? I’m okay with Tosh, Ainsley, Schumann, Ash, or Keith Heyward. Hard pass on the other names.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm a big ethics guy. Gonna say I'm a "no" to Hurtt and Tosh both, especially considering the latter is 0/1 as a DC already.

I'm totally fine with guys from smaller schools who have shown outstanding performance. That's how we got Chip.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I’m on the Richard or Wood train