Tyler Shough is transferring

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: Tyler Shough is transferring

Post by Phalanx »

I'm not sure why people are playing dumb about this. The Ducks do have a QB problem heading into a game vs. Ohio State they are likely to be curb-stomped in. There is zero reason to believe that Brown will suddenly, in his sixth year in college, become a star, or even become an efficient passer. The only reason his presence in the Iowa State game was deemed a positive is because we has subbing in for Shough. I say go with Butterfield or Thompson at the earliest opportunity and get them as many reps as possible to prepare for the future. The only reason to play Brown I can justify is in that first game, to spare one of the young guys the trauma from that aforementioned curb-stomping.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote:I'm not sure why people are playing dumb about this. The Ducks do have a QB problem heading into a game vs. Ohio State they are likely to be curb-stomped in. There is zero reason to believe that Brown will suddenly, in his sixth year in college, become a star, or even become an efficient passer. The only reason his presence in the Iowa State game was deemed a positive is because we has subbing in for Shough. I say go with Butterfield or Thompson at the earliest opportunity and get them as many reps as possible to prepare for the future. The only reason to play Brown I can justify is in that first game, to spare one of the young guys the trauma from that aforementioned curb-stomping.
Please explain why we are going to get curb stomped. They have massive losses to account for, more than we do.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Anthony Brown has won games as a starter against P-5 programs, he’s had 300 yard/5 TD games, and if he’s Oregon’s starter than the Ducks have a QB advantage until proven otherwise.

In addition to their QB Ohio State is replacing 7/8 top tacklers, their best OL, and their leading rusher. They are still more talented than all but two teams in the country. Oregon will be the most talented team, at least on paper, that they’re scheduled to play.

I’m not necessarily expecting a win, but a curb stomping? Not expecting that either.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I'm not really interested in having a big argument where I am arguing against the Ducks. It seems obvious to me that Brown is a sub-par QB and the sooner he is surpassed by one of the younger guys, the better the indication that Oregon is on the mend.

Ohio State is losing their best OL? Their two returning tackles were all Big 10 first team. Their back-up center was all Big 10 third team. They have their choice of two QB's with two years in the program and one five-star guy who might beat both of them out (very similar to Oregon's situation), and who will be throwing to two all-Big 10 first team wide receivers, as well as Emeka Egbuka, among others (not similar to Oregon).

Their main weakness is probably pass defense. Does Oregon have the offense to take advantage? We'll find out, but based on what we saw last year and the fact that the personnel is not materially changing, my guess is not. But by all means, we can revisit this next fall and see who was right. I'd love to be wrong. I mean, I didn't see Baylor thrashing Gonzaga, so I guess anything is possible.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

See, Phalanx? We do agree on some things. I completely agree. Brown isn't our future, but might be better to roll with him against tOSU and not risk destroying the confidence of Butterfield or Thompson. Who knows? Maybe Brown lights it up and goes on a legendary run. But I expect we'll lose that game handily and hopefully, after that, we turn the page and start writing our future. It seems pretty bright with Thompson taking snaps.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Phalanx, not going to say you're wrong but I don't want to write off Brown just yet. Maybe it's people like me who are contributing to the problem lol.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

ducks5ever wrote:Phalanx, not going to say you're wrong but I don't want to write off Brown just yet. Maybe it's people like me who are contributing to the problem lol.
Well, he may end up being the best we have this year. Obviously, I will be right there with you rooting for his success in that case. I'm just secretly hoping that some time after a practice this summer, a receiver blurts out that his favorite guy is Butterfield or Thompson, the way Carrington did about Justin. Some kind of glimmer of hope that better days are ahead.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I’m wondering if Tyler Shough wins the Texas Tech job and with Burmeister being VaTech’s starter how often one school has had multiple guys who transferred out be P5 starting QBs simultaneously. Maybe Texas A&M, with Murray at OU but I think the other guy was at Houston.

With Cristobal saying Brown is getting all the first team reps (granted, it’s super early) my guess remains 1. Brown 2. Butterfield 3A. Ashford 3B. Thompson. Maybe Thompson passes Butterfield before the season, it will be interesting.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I’m wondering if Tyler Shough wins the Texas Tech job and with Burmeister being VaTech’s starter how often one school has had multiple guys who transferred out be P5 starting QBs simultaneously. Maybe Texas A&M, with Murray at OU but I think the other guy was at Houston.

With Cristobal saying Brown is getting all the first team reps (granted, it’s super early) my guess remains 1. Brown 2. Butterfield 3A. Ashford 3B. Thompson. Maybe Thompson passes Butterfield before the season, it will be interesting.
I'm going to go 1. Brown 2. Buters 3. Thompson 4. Ashford

I'm really intrigued by Butterfield. Probably has the best arm on the roster, but is also the absolute worst fit for an offense that asks the qb to run. I want to see him in the spring game more than anyone else on the roster, I think.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

No expert here but watched some videos of Butterfield. Kid seems to have great velocity and touch. It is high school competition tho and I am no expert. Oregon has had qbs that weren’t the most mobile end up being serviceable. Is he not athletic enough to run or did the system he played in high school not run the qb?
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I’m wondering if Tyler Shough wins the Texas Tech job and with Burmeister being VaTech’s starter how often one school has had multiple guys who transferred out be P5 starting QBs simultaneously. Maybe Texas A&M, with Murray at OU but I think the other guy was at Houston.
One more....Terry Wilson is likely starting for New Mexico this year after his grad transfer from Kentucky.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

StevensTechU wrote:

I'm going to go 1. Brown 2. Buters 3. Thompson 4. Ashford

I'm really intrigued by Butterfield. Probably has the best arm on the roster, but is also the absolute worst fit for an offense that asks the qb to run. I want to see him in the spring game more than anyone else on the roster, I think.
This. I’m totally wanting to see what he looks like
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Ironically, I think Butters would absolutely kill it in a Texas Tech type system. He is made for the Air Raid

The #1 thing with Brown, is he is poised. There's a YouTube video of all his snaps against Iowa State, and everyone remembers him missing an open DW in the end zone. Outside of that, every one of his throws was right on target (several drops) and he was relaxed in the pocket; even when taking snaps in the end zone when we started at the 1 yard line.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

I get the argument from people who says Brown has a limited ceiling. However, even if he doesn't improve at all from Boston College and puts up numbers somewhere in between his sophomore and junior season, that's serviceable QB play that will win us the majority of games. Those numbers wouldn't be too far off from what Herbert put up his sophomore year.

All this is to say that even if he is the starter and doesn't improve at all, QB play won't be what holds this team back [from a NY6 game]. You toss in all the other variables like better receiving crew, possibly a better OL, and possibly better scheme/coaching -> I don't see why he can't improve materially.

Only way I see Butters playing is if he straight up beats Brown. I don't see Thompson playing unless he really proves himself by the middle of the season or the season turns out to be a writeoff midway through.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Sorry last note - doesn't CMC reward seniority? Plus he convinced Brown to stick around for another season so we won't know if there's a gentleman's agreement or something of the like behind the scenes (or implied).