Who will be the fourth team in the CFP?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Who will be the fourth team in the CFP?

Post by DuckzRule »

I really heavily doubt that the Alabama Crimson Tide will go to the playoffs, if they lose to Georgia in the SEC CCG then I bet they're eliminated, Cincinnati also finally got ranked inside the top 4 and they most likely will go into the playoffs as long as they beat Houston in the American Conference CCG, Ohio State also seems like a lock-in for the playoffs.

As for the fourth team, I don't know who will it be, I'm guessing Notre Dame (albeit them being an independent hurts their chances) and Oklahoma State in case they're EXTREMELY lucky and beat Oklahoma twice in the regular season finale and in the Big 12 CCG, but knowing the history between both schools then OU will win both or they split the two games, similar to Iowa State last season.

So, who do you guess will be the teams in the CFP?
northbeachsf
Freshman

Re: Who will be the fourth team in the CFP?

Post by northbeachsf »

My guess is Georgia, Michigan, Cinci, and Oklahoma State.

ND is going to finish the season without a Top 25 win and without a head coach. They are going to end up in the 5th or 6th spot barring total chaos.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

northbeachsf wrote:My guess is Georgia, Michigan, Cinci, and Oklahoma State.

ND is going to finish the season without a Top 25 win and without a head coach. They are going to end up in the 5th or 6th spot barring total chaos.
This should definitely be the most unusual CFP EVER.

I hope Michigan, Oklahoma State, Georgia and Cinci don't choke
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/lists ... eyes-2021/

For some reason this place is projecting Oklahoma State to go to the natty instead of Michigan.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I think what these questions show is that we don't actually need to expand the Playoff to figure out who the Champion is. At no point has Team #5 that's been left out had a legitimate argument they should be in. That was the case every so often with the BCS but I don't see a time its been a real issue in the Playoff.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Duck07 wrote:I think what these questions show is that we don't actually need to expand the Playoff to figure out who the Champion is. At no point has Team #5 that's been left out had a legitimate argument they should be in. That was the case every so often with the BCS but I don't see a time its been a real issue in the Playoff.
While that is the case most years, I am not sure I agree with this. Baylor was 11-1 overall and 8-1 in league play and were Big 12 co-champions in 2014. They had three wins over top-15 teams, two over top-10 teams and had two straight conference titles. They were playing great football and absolutely had a chance to compete and make a run at the title that year and they got jobbed. TCU was also 11-1 that same year and got left out, but we’re edged by Baylor in the regular season.

In 2018, 1 loss tOSU won the Big-10 and got left out as a conference champion in favor of Oklahoma and ND, who both got blasted in the first round. tOSU absolutely got jobbed and I guarantee they would have played a more competitive game.

In 2019, there were four 1-loss teams fighting for the 4 seed.

I think you have to expand to at least 6. Winning your conference has to mean something.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

northbeachsf wrote:
Duck07 wrote:I think what these questions show is that we don't actually need to expand the Playoff to figure out who the Champion is. At no point has Team #5 that's been left out had a legitimate argument they should be in. That was the case every so often with the BCS but I don't see a time its been a real issue in the Playoff.
While that is the case most years, I am not sure I agree with this. Baylor was 11-1 overall and 8-1 in league play and were Big 12 co-champions in 2014. They had three wins over top-15 teams, two over top-10 teams and had two straight conference titles. They were playing great football and absolutely had a chance to compete and make a run at the title that year and they got jobbed. TCU was also 11-1 that same year and got left out, but we’re edged by Baylor in the regular season.

In 2018, 1 loss tOSU won the Big-10 and got left out as a conference champion in favor of Oklahoma and ND, who both got blasted in the first round. tOSU absolutely got jobbed and I guarantee they would have played a more competitive game.

In 2019, there were four 1-loss teams fighting for the 4 seed.

I think you have to expand to at least 6. Winning your conference has to mean something.
Right now the only teams without a blemish are Georgia and Cincy and I think its an unfair advantage to give teams a Bye in a playoff which is what 6 or 12 does.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I won’t disagree that it’s rare to see a team ranked 5 or higher be able to actually contend with the top team, but I do think the 12 team playoffs are needed for other reasons.

First it’s going to make the conference championships a lot more exciting. Imagine how much bigger this Friday would be if a playoff spot were on the line for Oregon? And heck, even possibly Utah? This will bring in way more viewership and actually make winning the conference meaningful. I know it means something to the players and coaches and real fans, but to a majority of America and the media does anyone care how many times in a row Oregon won the PAC-12 if they didn’t even sniff the CFP? I think it’ll be exciting to have conference championships mean something. And with the way they set up the first week byes, it’ll make a conference championship meaningful cause both Georgia and Bama will really want that bye, so it won’t be a situation where it doesn’t matter who wins cause both are getting in.

Second I think it’ll improve non-conference scheduling. Since teams won’t be as afraid of not going undefeated they might actually schedule more big games. I know it’s weird to imagine the possibility of occasionally having a 2 maybe 3 loss team be crowned national champions and that we’ll be seeing less undefeated teams, but I think this will help non conference scheduling drastically, at least I hope it will.

Third it’ll bring more parity with recruiting. We often hear recruits go to Bama, Georgia, and Ohio St cause they want to win a national championship. With a 12 team playoff recruits can go to the schools they like more or grew up near and have an increased chance of playing for a national championship. If we had a 12 team playoff already maybe Oregon lands DJU and JTT. Everyone knows we need parity in college football and we need top recruits to stop just going to the same schools, I think this can help solve that problem.

I do wonder how it’ll affect the bowl season and if we’ll see some bowls get cut though. I can’t imagine TV revenue going anywhere but down for crappy bowls with a 12 team playoff. Regardless it seems like a done deal and college football is changing by the minute. But I do believe the 12 team playoff will be good for college football and will help Oregon’s chances of winning a natty.